Bono says "I may never play the guitar again".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A songwriter not being able to compose on guitar isn't being affected heavily ?

When you say "songwriter" are you referring to music or lyrics?
Clearly he's the main lyricist of the band, but the band doesn't relies heavily on his music songwritting abilities.

I've seen ocasionally things like "Edge and Bono came with some ideas and then we started working on them", but they seem to be the exception, usually it's just Edge the one that gets the ball rolling.

So, affected? yes. Heavily? I don't think so.

I never understood the mocking his injuries got here on interference. While there are lots of people who are furious when someone expresses different opinion, hardly any is disgusted when there are many people who make fun of Bono´s injuries. I find it really low and miserable. I never joined that debate, it was really disgusting... Neverthless, I hope he will be alright, I even hope he will be able to play his guitar, or at least to wear it :)

You better start getting mad at Larry, Edge and Adam then.... as they did have pretty much the same reaction as we did when we heard this news.

That's quite an encouraging article:

With or without Bono’s guitar, U2 will still go on | Boston Herald

I tend to believe Bono WILL eventually be able to play guitar again, but it will take some time, he has to re-learn using his injured arm, hand and finger and I'm pretty sure that won't happen before the start of the tour. This surely isn't his priority right now anyway because he just has to concentrate on getting fit enough to perform. We may not see Bono playing guitar for a while, but he may return to playing once the healing process allows him to.

But guitar playing aside, I think his injuries and the potential functional losses that come with it will certainly impact the way he behaves and moves on stage, his stage antics. I don't know if this really isn't the really sad thought. I guess we'll have to get used to the Bono we've seen lately in some of those more intimate, acoustic performances. Maybe he'll concentrate on singing more, on moving less. I think he won't be able to use his arm the way he could before the accident happens. Who knows, maybe we're in for super special vocals from Bono to compensate :)

On 360 he's actually used it for an intro to Angel of Harlem and on the outro of Vertigo of the same show I think. :lol: It sounded ridiculous. Only other harmonica songs are... desire and RTSS? :scratch: Am I forgetting something? Well Trip obv, but they're most likely never playing that one live again.

Surely the key word in all of this was 'may'. I'm surprised he didn't say he might never tour again, in his present frame of reference.

For a while after his 1999 smash, Stephen King intimated never writing again. Things worked out better than expected.

Exactly. The media are treating this story like Bono is the main guitar player in U2, which is ridiculous.

Yeah, it would suck if he couldn't play anymore. But a) he's saying he doesn't know. It's only been what, a little over a month? ; and b) even if he can't play, say, in a concert setting, maybe he'll still be able to putter around and play a little bit in a non-concert setting.

It's a shame (but not surprising) that all the focus is on this piece of that lengthy, and lovely, letter. Can we talk about that awesome picture of his kids in front of the Cedarwood Road house instead?

At the beginning of NBC Nightly News, they said something to the effect of "U2 fans fear that this may be the end of the band." I just rolled my eyes. Sensationalizing much?

I saw this quote somewhere on Facebook: "Saying Bono may never play the guitar again is like saying Stevie Wonder may go blind."

I enjoyed reading Bono's "book" on U2.com. It seemed like he was really trying to open up and be real with us. It was encouraging to hear from him. Apparently it was over 6000 words! Oh Bono... He must be getting bored. Maybe he should start blogging. Or not... :uhoh: I would read it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Well. If he can't play guitar, we can basically kiss any chance of them playing a full version of Cedarwood Road goodbye. His guitar is actually important in that song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They're going to bring Dave Stewart along and lock him in the underground with Brian Burton, Terry Lawless, and Adele.

When you say "songwriter" are you referring to music or lyrics?
Clearly he's the main lyricist of the band, but the band doesn't relies heavily on his music songwritting abilities.

I've seen ocasionally things like "Edge and Bono came with some ideas and then we started working on them", but they seem to be the exception, usually it's just Edge the one that gets the ball rolling.

So, affected? yes. Heavily? I don't think so.

The music, given the topic.

Usually it's Edge and Bono that start it off.

Bono "I may never be able to do the stranger again"

hang-in-there-cat.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The first single from Songs of Experience will be called "I Think My Neighbor Just Murdered Somebody."

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What more in the name of love

never playing the guitar again is a true tragedy

there is no greater joy than a child united with his father

leo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom