Bono say-what during Bullet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Yes, Bono has said many, many different quotes during Bullet performances, but I'm wondering in particular about the ZooTV versions. It's always sounded to me like "BRING ME THAT SUCKA". Is this what everyone hears? Or am i way off?

Does every Bullet performance have this quote you speak of?

Maybe posting a YouTube and telling us at what point you think you hear this, context would help in MANY of your threads.

Yes, Bono has said many, many different quotes during Bullet performances, but I'm wondering in particular about the ZooTV versions. It's always sounded to me like "BRING ME THAT SUCKA". Is this what everyone hears? Or am i way off?

I know which one you're talking about, where it sounds like that and then "BRING IN THAT SON OF A BITCH" or something to that effect.

The bullet rant on elevation vwas kick-ass, with the mark david chapman stuff and the patti smith song.

I remember Bono going on a Bullet rant at a show I was at in Philadelphia on 6-11-2001. That was the day Timothy McVeigh (Oklahoma City bomber) was executed. I don't know or really remember what he ranted (whether pro, con, or probably ambiguous), but it was intense. Many people around me thought that Bono was speechifying that the US shouldn't have the death penalty, and his rant was not warmly received. Everyone was happy to see McVeigh get what he wanted. I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, but if you ever debate that subject with me, just bring up McVeigh and you'll win that debate every time.

I know which one you're talking about, where it sounds like that and then "BRING IN THAT SON OF A BITCH" or something to that effect.

Yeah, that sounds familiar. ZooTv Dublin has it for sure, as I have that on my ipod. Sounded to me like Bring in that suckah, bring in that son of a bitch.

Yes, the Boston version of BTBS is scarily intense 'what's my name? Mark Chapman, Mark Chapman, MARK CHAPMAAAAAN'. Thrilling stuff. It's just a shame the song went downhill so quickly on the Vertigo tour.

I had no idea who Mark Chapman was, so I had to look it up. It's funny how diverse cultural touchstones are. It was such a huge deal to Bono and probably many of you. I couldn't care less. I'd have a heart attack if a favorite TV writer like Ira Steven Behr or Ronald D. Moore died, though. I remember being stressed out over a paper and told myself not to get distracted with the internet just in case I read such bad news and was unable to get work done.

I guess if Bono died, I'd be pretty upset, too.

I had no idea who Mark Chapman was, so I had to look it up. It's funny how diverse cultural touchstones are. It was such a huge deal to Bono and probably many of you. I couldn't care less. I'd have a heart attack if a favorite TV writer like Ira Steven Behr or Ronald D. Moore died, though. I remember being stressed out over a paper and told myself not to get distracted with the internet just in case I read such bad news and was unable to get work done.

I guess if Bono died, I'd be pretty upset, too.

There's a difference between someone dying and someone being murdered by a psycho. :/

And BVS: I must've remembered wrong because I checked Zoo Dublin on youtube and it's not in that.
This wasn't the version I was looking for(I meant to find Rotterdam '93) but it has it too.
YouTube - U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky - Live from Rotterdam
3:27

Youtube is being too much of a bitch to me right now to search for more.

On another note, why didn't they distort Bono's vocals on the Sydney DVD like they did the rest of the tour?

Wasn't the 'bring in that sucker' line something too do with Bono being in the character of Jerry Mele(?) - the security guy anyhow -. When Jerry was in the US Army as a helicopter pilot, hence Bono's head-mic. I think the trabants were representing the choppers. This then flowed into RTSS and the flares going off which again was some sort of military analogy. Im pretty sure its something like that anyhow:lol:

Most of the 1992 performances have this. The later 1993 ones were a bit less aggressive as time went by (Dublin or Sydney... come to think of it, Wembley 1993 does have one especially pissed off Bono performance). Bono really went apeshit on some of those ZooTV performances.

ZooTV Wembley, 1992-08-12, has a hell of a rant.

"Take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key on El Salvador
A man breathes into a saxophone
And through the wall we hear the city groan
A man breathes into a saxophone!
Saxophone! Saxophone! Saxophone! Hey, saxophone! Hey, saxophone!
Outside it's America! Outside it's America!
America, where the fuck are you?
United Kingdom, fuck you!
Fuck you, Germany! Fuck you, France!
Zoonited Nations! Zoonited Nations! Zoonited Nations!
We run! We run into the arms of America."

I'm surprised half the stadium didn't walk out after that.

I don't know what other kind of rant was supposed to follow the Sarajevo satellite linkup where shell-shocked citizens basically said no one was doing anything to help them.

Back
Top Bottom