Bono’s young voice vs. older voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's cherrypicking is saying that he can still hit this high note or that high note. That's not my point. He can still hit high notes, that much is clear. His voice is just thinner because he's older, and thus it doesn't sound as good.

Consistently great these days? By what standards? If compared to his younger voice, then no, he's not sounding consistently great.

I would never insult Bono for having a thinner voice at 50 than at 30. I wouldn't ever bring it up if it wasn't for completely insane threads like this that include claims that he's better now than he was. He's not, and it's really not close.

Good.

You still don't get it.

We're talking overall.

Not just highs and lows.

How is he not sounding consistently great?

As others have said until they are blue in the face, a lot of his power is back, he holds notes longer, songs are played faster, etc. He still sounds like the same singer from the 80s. Older songs sound more like the did originally on this tour.

Please explain to us what you mean by thin. Performances of MOS, Ultraviolet, I Will Follow, Still Haven't Found, New Year's Day, NLOTH, etc have been far from "thin" whatever that means.

Tell me where he consistently sounds not up to par?

No one is going to sound exactly the same as they did in the 80s, it will naturally be a bit different. However, the quality decline that was apparent between 1995 and 2002 is not by any means present today.

Good.

You still don't get it.

We're talking overall.

Not just highs and lows.

How is he not sounding consistently great?

As others have said until they are blue in the face, a lot of his power is back, he holds notes longer, songs are played faster, etc. He still sounds like the same singer from the 80s. Older songs sound more like the did originally on this tour.

Please explain to us what you mean by thin. Performances of MOS, Ultraviolet, I Will Follow, Still Haven't Found, New Year's Day, NLOTH, etc have been far from "thin" whatever that means.

Tell me where he consistently sounds not up to par?

No one is going to sound exactly the same as they did in the 80s, it will naturally be a bit different. However, the quality decline that was apparent between 1995 and 2002 is not by any means present today.

Sorry, I agree with Philsfan but first, let me be clear. My original statements were that he sounds significantly different post 1990 than he does in the early to mid 80s (up to around 83 or 84). Regardless of which period you prefer I don’t see how the fact that there is a big difference between pre ’84 and post ’90 is even debatable. I just think it is interesting that the change he undergoes in this period is more than most people’s voice change in a whole career. In terms of which is better this is debatable. In terms of raw talent and strength his 80 – 84 period was best and I believe the changes that occurred from 84-91 were do to him not singing with the proper technique, overuse, and perhaps smoking and alcohol. These things aged his voice prematurely. However, Bono’s technique has generally improved with time so this has helped make his voice more pleasing to the ear for many and better in a lot of peoples mind – nothing wrong with that. What we mean by “thin” is that when singing in a higher key his voice just sounds very “stretched” and “strained.” You still may find the voice pleasing to the ear but this has generally been how it has sounded in recent years. His voice on “A man and woman” is a good example of this.

I'd rather have my testicles removed with a tin-foil perforator than listen to Pavarotti
I hope you're not serious.

I still love Bono's voice now but I just loved his voice more from 1984 till 1993 and even more specifically during the Joshua Tree era. His technique might have been horrible but it just sounded damn great. His voice is still very good now but he's lost a lot of his falsetoo and he also struggles with lower notes. But it's definitly an improvement from Popmart and Elevation. I almost can't stand his voice on the Slane dvd. He sings with a lot of passion there but it's so rough.

Sorry, I agree with Philsfan but first, let me be clear. My original statements were that he sounds significantly different post 1990 than he does in the early to mid 80s (up to around 83 or 84). Regardless of which period you prefer I don’t see how the fact that there is a big difference between pre ’84 and post ’90 is even debatable. I just think it is interesting that the change he undergoes in this period is more than most people’s voice change in a whole career. In terms of which is better this is debatable. In terms of raw talent and strength his 80 – 84 period was best and I believe the changes that occurred from 84-91 were do to him not singing with the proper technique, overuse, and perhaps smoking and alcohol. These things aged his voice prematurely. However, Bono’s technique has generally improved with time so this has helped make his voice more pleasing to the ear for many and better in a lot of peoples mind – nothing wrong with that. What we mean by “thin” is that when singing in a higher key his voice just sounds very “stretched” and “strained.” You still may find the voice pleasing to the ear but this has generally been how it has sounded in recent years. His voice on “A man and woman” is a good example of this.

2 different arguments are being lumped into 1 here.

1.)His voice has changed and it breaks down as 1980-83(4) and a transition from UF to R&H and post 1990.

Yes, his voice in the 1980-1983 period stands out in contrast to any time after that. No debate here.

He sang differently, but still, its not like these songs are unrecognizable now as some seem to think. Listen to NYD and IWF from this leg of 360. There is no doubting that this is the same guy who sang both songs on the War Tour. In fact, Bono is singing both these songs much closer to how he sang them in the early 80s now than he was in the late 80s, early 90s-present.

The only place I can think of that there is a full on dramatic contrast between 1980-1983 and everything else is the studio versions of some Boy songs. Most notably IWF, An Cat Dubh and Electric Co. Live, they are pretty easily identified as the same singer in 1983 and 2005.

I do think the rougher, more strained, kermit type voice on JT and LT was more a product of constant touring(and maybe, as you suggest, drinking/smoking). The only real difference into the 1990s was Bono started holding back a bit more, using his falsetto and to my ears, his Zoo TV voice had a smooth richness to it that the late 80s voice didn't.

2.)His voice is thin now.

I just don't see how you arrive at that, sorry. He hits the higher notes longer, cleaner and with a good deal of power. The real stretching and straining took place on JT and LT when he often screamed and still didn't hit the notes right.

Don't get me wrong, there are days when I prefer JT tour to every other era, and his voice certainly had some qualities then that it lacks now. Not really tangibles, just something about it.

Where I get off the boat is when people claim his voice is thin now.

I don't hear too much straining in A Man And A Woman. Its not really a style of song Bono had ever sung before, and its not one of my favorites, but its a great vocal. I am perplexed by that as an example.

Take Away point.

Even if you want to use argument #1 until you are blue in the face, if to your ears Bono really sounds like a different singer entirely in the early 80s, great.

But do not try and use argument #1 as a way to make argument #2 and say his voice is "thin" today. It is objectively not.

Bono at around Joshua Tree / Rattle & Hum could create new universes by opening his mouth and starting to sing
it was a force of life

he's better now than he was POP & onwards
just slightly less impressive than he was early 90s even

Bono Sounded best from Joshua Tree - Pop. The deep richness to his voice and the more baritone sound made their music much better IMO. Now, he sometimes borders on "whiny" and in songs like NLOTH and MOS, his voice sometimes sounds strained. He still has an amazing voice, but I liked the way he sang better during the 90s.

I think we can all agree Bono sounds better when he sings deep and low rather than high.

AIWIY was on radio today, in the end of the song when sings "all want is youuuuuuuu youuuuuuuuu" I realised how bad it was. He strains alot and it sounds terrible. Then I realise how much better singer he is now when I listend to the Aires performence of the song from 2006, a high clean "yooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" in 7 seconds :)

The only emotion he could use in the voice back then was anger(screaming), today he can scream(if you dont believe listend to my 360 clip on youtube). SYCMIOYO, MOS, IALW, WTSHNN(Slane), Amazing Grace(from 360 tour) is all more emotion in. The sad sound he can get now is alot better then only the anger scream he got in the 80s.
Can't disagree more. But whatever, I like his younger voice a lot more. He still sounds good these days though.

AIWIY was on radio today, in the end of the song when sings "all want is youuuuuuuu youuuuuuuuu" I realised how bad it was. He strains alot and it sounds terrible. Then I realise how much better singer he is now when I listend to the Aires performence of the song from 2006, a high clean "yooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" in 7 seconds :)

Did you reflect on the rest of the song as well or just this high note? I think you're right, Bono can sing high notes nowadays much more easily and most of the time it sounds absolutely beautiful but is that the only thing there is to his voice?

His low register is still nowhere near the quality it had before, and his falsetto is the most inconsistent part of his voice today. Sometimes it's good (listen to Amazing Grace from Frankfurt or Hannover this leg :drool:), but other times it's embarrasing to listen to (MW from the Rose Bowl :sad:). So while I agree with you for the most part, his voice is nowhere perfect and will probably never be.

I will keep my comments brief. Does Bono still sing MW like this? Can he still sing it like this? Does he still sing it with that crooning richness, falsetto (5:30) , phrasing (choruses) and authority (5:50- 6:05) ? To my hears, no. Do not mistake me; Bono remains a brilliant singer, and his voice has recovered to an incredible extent, but for me, it can never hit the heights of ZOO TV.
YouTube - U2 - Mysterious ways - Washington DC 1992-08-16

AIWIY was on radio today, in the end of the song when sings "all want is youuuuuuuu youuuuuuuuu" I realised how bad it was.

Er, no, it was absolutely brilliant.

Why do you have this phobia of the straining voice? I absolutely love the sound of someone's voice straining.

Straining on the toilet, however, is not altogether pleasant. Just ask Elvis.

You're joking right?

You must really hate the b-side then, Unchained Melody? For me, along with Night and Day,that is my favourite Bono vocal.

I will keep my comments brief. Does Bono still sing MW like this? Can he still sing it like this? Does he still sing it with that crooning richness, falsetto (5:30) , phrasing (choruses) and authority (5:50- 6:05) ? To my hears, no. Do not mistake me; Bono remains a brilliant singer, and his voice has recovered to an incredible extent, but for me, it can never hit the heights of ZOO TV.
YouTube - U2 - Mysterious ways - Washington DC 1992-08-16

Great performance but not a particularly good example to use when discussing singing, the only thing that stands out is his falsetto.

Great performance but not a particularly good example to use when discussing singing, the only thing that stands out is his falsetto.

Well it depends what you are looking at, I suppose. I am not especially interested in the peaks and troughs, though his falsetto was marvellous. I am more interested in the subtleties, like the timbre of Bono's voice and his phrasing. I think those aspects make that rendition of MW so special. I just don't think he sings it as well these days- his phrasing is often poor, especially on the chorus and the loss of depth (that crooning quality) from his voice is audible in the verses.

2 different arguments are being lumped into 1 here.

1.)His voice has changed and it breaks down as 1980-83(4) and a transition from UF to R&H and post 1990.

Yes, his voice in the 1980-1983 period stands out in contrast to any time after that. No debate here.

He sang differently, but still, its not like these songs are unrecognizable now as some seem to think. Listen to NYD and IWF from this leg of 360. There is no doubting that this is the same guy who sang both songs on the War Tour. In fact, Bono is singing both these songs much closer to how he sang them in the early 80s now than he was in the late 80s, early 90s-present.

The only place I can think of that there is a full on dramatic contrast between 1980-1983 and everything else is the studio versions of some Boy songs. Most notably IWF, An Cat Dubh and Electric Co. Live, they are pretty easily identified as the same singer in 1983 and 2005.

I do think the rougher, more strained, kermit type voice on JT and LT was more a product of constant touring(and maybe, as you suggest, drinking/smoking). The only real difference into the 1990s was Bono started holding back a bit more, using his falsetto and to my ears, his Zoo TV voice had a smooth richness to it that the late 80s voice didn't.

2.)His voice is thin now.

I just don't see how you arrive at that, sorry. He hits the higher notes longer, cleaner and with a good deal of power. The real stretching and straining took place on JT and LT when he often screamed and still didn't hit the notes right.

Don't get me wrong, there are days when I prefer JT tour to every other era, and his voice certainly had some qualities then that it lacks now. Not really tangibles, just something about it.

Where I get off the boat is when people claim his voice is thin now.

I don't hear too much straining in A Man And A Woman. Its not really a style of song Bono had ever sung before, and its not one of my favorites, but its a great vocal. I am perplexed by that as an example.

Take Away point.

Even if you want to use argument #1 until you are blue in the face, if to your ears Bono really sounds like a different singer entirely in the early 80s, great.

But do not try and use argument #1 as a way to make argument #2 and say his voice is "thin" today. It is objectively not.

I'm not. His voice changed. This I think we can agree on. But just because it changed that statement in and of itself doesn't say what it changed to - it could have changed to anything. However in his case I believe the changes are do to his voice aging prematurely. The "thin" thing didn't happen overnight. I would not say his late 80s voice was "thin" but definitely through the 90s and the 2000s its developed that quality to it. Don't really no how else to describe it to you...It just sounds like there is not as much there to it when he sings in a higher register. You will not like me for saying this but I think he (Bono) notices this too and that is why many songs going as far back as "Baby Face" have the double vocal track, low voice mixed over higher voice, to fill it out a bit more. This would not have made sense or sounded right with the voice he had during the War era on songs like "Drowning Man" - You really think, objectively, he has anywhere near the power now that he did on that song? Or what about "Magnificent" vs. "Pride"? Yes, he's hitting similar notes on songs like "Magnificent" or OOTS but his voice is qualifiedly different now and there is just less there to it. Less power, not as full. I think you are hearing the same thing I am but you would not describe it with the terms I am using.

As with anyons e your voice changes as you age so ofcourse his voice sounds different from 20 to 50 of age. IMO his voice sounds and sounded good to me at every age. He also changes the way his voice sounds depending on the song. You can't compare "Velvet Dress" to "Pride." Like I said any song any age I'm biased I guess.

As with anyons e your voice changes as you age so ofcourse his voice sounds different from 20 to 50 of age. IMO his voice sounds and sounded good to me at every age. He also changes the way his voice sounds depending on the song. You can't compare "Velvet Dress" to "Pride." Like I said any song any age I'm biased I guess.

True. there have been changes in style. His more restrained voice / style of singing during AB and Zooropa contributed to him sounding very different than on Boy - War. Still, I just think his voice has undergone more change from 20 - 35, 20 - 50 years old than most. A lot of singers have voices that haven't changed very much over their long careers.

I think people are getting their wires crossed. I fear U2 387 (a member for whom I have much respect) is conflating 'strained' and 'thin', whereas I think they are different terms relating to different things. I accept that Bono does not strain so much on the high notes now but his overall voice (whether he is trying to hit notes or not) sounds more thin. By 'thin', I mean there is a slightly cracked, lived-in quality to it that was not there on ZOO TV when he sang in a deep, full-bodied croon. It is a question of taste, of course, but I prefer his 'thicker' ZOO TV voice.

:hmm:
In my opinion his voice sounded the best between TUF and Zooropa and sometimes was close to that on ATYCLB and HTDAAM.

I think people are getting their wires crossed. I fear U2 387 (a member for whom I have much respect) is conflating 'strained' and 'thin', whereas I think they are different terms relating to different things. I accept that Bono does not strain so much on the high notes now but his overall voice (whether he is trying to hit notes or not) sounds more thin. By 'thin', I mean there is a slightly cracked, lived-in quality to it that was not there on ZOO TV when he sang in a deep, full-bodied croon. It is a question of taste, of course, but I prefer his 'thicker' ZOO TV voice.

Yes, exactly. I used "strained" as an adjective when describing "thin" but that was probably a poor choice of words. What I've been trying to describe with "thin" is difficult to explain but I think we all hear it and some of us who really prefer his current sound are upset that I'm using an adjective like "thin" to describe it which has a negative conotation. You described it well - it basically sounds older, more lived in, and like there just isn't as much there to it. I know this will sound really silly, but if his voice was silly puddy and singing in a high register was equivalent to stretching it into a long and relatively narrow peice, back in the 80s you could stretch it a certain distance and there still be a lot of girth to it - it would not be extremely thin, you would still have a somewhat thick piece of it. Now, you stretch it that same distance or slightly less and it's very thin - not much girth.

My God, you could be the best voice analyser in the world, I can't disagree more with you. Almost like if you skipped from your brain the 85-94 era. Come on, he is great right now I agree, but how can't you say at least that his 90-93 voice sounds tons of times better than now???? I can almost understand that you don't like Bono to scream....but the pure sound, even during interviews he was giving at that time is just :drool: compared to now!

Back
Top Bottom