Bono on Jeff Buckley from Hot Press.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
hi!

i'm looking for anyone who's got a Hot Press magazine from '97 (i can't remember the exact issue) that features an interview with Bono.

in this interview the journalist asked Bono about the late Jeff Buckley, who drowned that year.

anyone who knows which interview i'm thinking of?

if so, could you please transcribe this very paragraph (question + answer) about Jeff Buckley?

i think i remember it was something like, "Did you ever meet Jeff Buckley?"

it would be very nice to read what Bono answered!

i read this issue a long time ago, borrowing it from a friend, and now i can't get in touch with him anymore.

thanks for any reply!

I don't remember this interview, but I know at one point he called Buckley something like "A drop of pure water in an ocean full of noise."

I don't remember this interview, but I know at one point he called Buckley something like "A drop of pure water in an ocean full of noise."

yeah, i remember that quote too, and i'm quite sure that it wasn't from this Hot Press interview, but later (maybe from a Propaganda issue?)

anyways, i really like that quote, so spot on from Bono on how Jeff was. a rare talent, that will never be surpassed. so sad he died so young. what a waste....

haha to be fair i don't see a problem with him answering such a question like that, the man had died after all it's a nice way to publically say what you thought of him, great quote

I adore Buckley, theres nothing I'd love to hear more than Bono actually attempting to do a proper version of 'Hallelujah' or one of Buckley's other gems. I mean his thing for the Cohen album was interesting but not worthy of what Bono could pull off. Similarly I'd have loved to have heard Buckley do something like 'One'.

i think i read somewhere that Bono heard Jeff's version of Hallelujah, and that he found out that nothing would ever top that version. So instead Bono went for a completely different take on it (as featured on the compilation album "Tower Of Song"). I'm not sure i really like Bono's version that much. Interesting though!

as for the quote, i believe it was more like this:

"Jeff Buckley was a pure drop in an ocean of noise."

(and not "Jeff Buckley was a drop of pure water in an ocean full of noise")

I dont get the hoo haa about Jeff Buckley. I tried to listen to one of his albums....and it bored me rigid. Horses for courses i guess!

I dont get the hoo haa about Jeff Buckley. I tried to listen to one of his albums....and it bored me rigid. Horses for courses i guess!

Sorry everyone but I agree with gman, I really dont get the fascination with Jeff Buckley either, as far as I know he only had 1 album "Grace" in 1994, an album I have been recomended over and over again by friends but still never got anything out of it, I prefere Leonard Cohens version of Hallalujai and as a vocalist I think there are better out there, I know Thom Yorke was influenced by Buckley but imo he has surpassed him in everyway,

Sorry everyone but I agree with gman, I really dont get the fascination with Jeff Buckley either, as far as I know he only had 1 album "Grace" in 1994, an album I have been recomended over and over again by friends but still never got anything out of it, I prefere Leonard Cohens version of Hallalujai and as a vocalist I think there are better out there, I know Thom Yorke was influenced by Buckley but imo he has surpassed him in everyway,

Buckley had released one full album and an EP while he was alive. A double album was released after his death, it was the album he was working on when he died.

He was truly one of the greatest singers I've ever heard, a damn good guitar player, and was really coming into his own with songwriting. I have no doubt that if he had remained alive he would have written one of the American classics.

And I don't know how anyone thinks Thom surpasses anyone vocally let alone Jeff Buckley...:shrug:

as for the quote, i believe it was more like this:

"Jeff Buckley was a pure drop in an ocean of noise."

(and not "Jeff Buckley was a drop of pure water in an ocean full of noise")

Yes, that's right, and it was in MOJO magazine, not Hot Press.

Back
Top Bottom