Bono - I've Got You Under My Skin (13-April-2013)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not everything Bono did in the 90s was ironic. I don't think there was any irony in that recording, lots of bravado, but not irony.

Damn you Alanis for ruining that word.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well irony might be the wrong word, but based on my own feelings and Flanagan's book, I'd say the duet with Sinatra 20 years was:
Bono being his ultimate rock star/greasy fly/hungover I'm late 30's/hey tell me some stories Frank/I worship you but people worship me/I'm doing this half out of respect half out of fucking up the mainstream....
The whole mouth trumpet solo is totally taking the piss outta big band music in Bono's respectful kinda way....it IS ironic.
The whole "don't you know YOU OLD FOOL" line is totally MacPhisto....a thumb to the nose of Frank....but again, in a playful respectful kind of way only Bono could've gotten away with. I mean, people didn't get away with messin with the chairman.

That performance last year....yeah, Bono's voice is great. The attitude is completley different. Should've chosen a different standard to sing. Then again, should've just sung a u2 song.

It's a Bono solo performance, not a duet. and yes, I don't see much irony here, either, and I don't think being ironic was Bono's intention that evening. It's kind of ridiculous to always compare his (or the band's) current work to his 1990s self. People should just take it for what it is and allow themselves to enjoy it even though it's not what 1990's Bono would have done. That was 20 years ago.

I really do enjoy Bono doing solo stuff most of the time because it shows sides of him that are rarely seen when he's performing with his band, sometimes great, sometimes not so great. A U2 song, IMO, wouldn't have fit there.

Back
Top Bottom