Bono - I've Got You Under My Skin (13-April-2013)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure Bono can still hit his falsetto like him of old. Just needs to practice it and he'll be singing like Macphisto again. Even I can sing Lemon and I'm in no way a talented singer like Bono.

^^
He can hit high notes with a full open voice pretty good these days, but I doubt he can hit his once so incredible falsetto. The last decade proves the opposite.

With all due respect Moser, but I think it's a very hard song to pull of singing, so I have my doubts. But maybe you can post a youtube video and blow us all away :hmm:

Pretty sure Bono can still hit his falsetto like him of old. Just needs to practice it and he'll be singing like Macphisto again. Even I can sing Lemon and I'm in no way a talented singer like Bono.

It's quite obvious that he can't. Just listen to any concert of the past three tours and his attempts of hitting the falsetto in the same vein as he did in the 90s.

^^
He can hit high notes with a full open voice pretty good these days, but I doubt he can hit his once so incredible falsetto. The last decade proves the opposite.

With all due respect Moser, but I think it's a very hard song to pull of singing, so I have my doubts. But maybe you can post a youtube video and blow us all away :hmm:

It's tremendously easier to hit higher notes with falsetto when you've properly trained. How can you lose range in falsetto, while your voice improves? Well, there are several ways actually

a) Your vocal cords are like sponges. You need to keep them well-hydrated because falsetto relies on precise manipulation of these cords. Singing naturally dries out your cords, so that's why you see Bono always drinking water.

b) Falsetto requires moving a large volume of air through through one's tiny windpipe. If you've been singing all day, your lungs tend to be a little exhausted, and the falsetto will come out raspy or thin because your lungs aren't moving enough air. That's why during With or Without You (which is normally the 2nd or 3rd last song of the night), Bono nearly chokes on the falsetto portion. He is out of breath. Now also notice how much more fit Bono is during the 90s.

c) Falsetto requires training of the vocal cords. If you use it often, you get better at it. For example, even when Bono's voice tanked during PopMart, his falsetto remained gold. Why is that? Because he used it often.

d) Quality of your falsetto also depends on the wear of your cords. Take With or Without You on the first night of the 360 tour and compare it to something much later, like the Rose Bowl. So much fuller and smoother in Barcelona.

So the key here is practice, water, and rest. The guy can surely hit the notes his like his younger 30 year old self, but he has to take care of himself first. Here is where our views start to converge.

I don't have a camera or a compressor mike, but you're welcome to come over and be an audience. I'll put in the ZooTV DVD and my woman makes delicious beef stroganoff.

It's quite obvious that he can't. Just listen to any concert of the past three tours and his attempts of hitting the falsetto in the same vein as he did in the 90s.

See above.

I'd love to see a clip of an old falsetto (NOT WOWY, that's a different animal altogether for reasons beyond the falsetto imo) that Bono supposedly "couldn't" do nowadays.

Lemon? Easy for him nowadays, in fact I'd argue he'd possibly even better the ZOO version.

Agreed! Except we're talkin bout the most controlled method of singing available to the male voice, falsetto. And Bono's entire vocal palate right now is based on using controlled methods very efficiently.

You know singing better than I do... and even I don't deny that his voice sounds fuller than it did during popmart and even into elevation...

but these people who are all "zomg bono'z voice is better than it waz 30 yerz agoes!" are just silly. probably the same people who think he's in excellent shape, takes terrific care of himself, has all his own hair, and is aging like a gem.

How dare you suggest that Bono ages like a normal Irish man. Grrrrr.

but these people who are all "zomg bono'z voice is better than it waz 30 yerz agoes!" are just silly. probably the same people who think he's in excellent shape, takes terrific care of himself, has all his own hair, and is aging like a gem.

Oh! Yeah absolutely his voice isn't better per se, but he's singing a hell of alot smarter. Most of these ppl you're talking about dont understand what it is he's doing with his voice anyways. He's learnt "how" to sing in alot if cases and he uses his range alot more intelligently. Which has led to a generalized sense of improved quality, because he's not blowing his vocal chords out livin way out on the edge of his capabilities. So while it sounds better, in alot of cases he lacks the urgency and excitement of the 80s. He was breathtaking to watch back then you never knew what to expect and now he's very controlled.

But having said that I'm thoroughly impressed with his upper register "ring" (my layman way of desribing it) on tunes like Bad NYD Pride UV etc last tour. If he can hit that shit like he did, he can nail Lemon with ease. Ask Tony which is harder to sing the "a-hoooooos" of Lemon or the "wide awake" in Bad. :wink:

Agreed! Except we're talkin bout the most controlled method of singing available to the male voice, falsetto. And Bono's entire vocal palate right now is based on using controlled methods very efficiently.

Now i can agree with you, canuck.

But having said that I'm thoroughly impressed with his upper register "ring" (my layman way of desribing it) on tunes like Bad NYD Pride UV etc last tour. If he can hit that shit like he did, he can nail Lemon with ease. Ask Tony which is harder to sing the "a-hoooooos" of Lemon or the "wide awake" in Bad. :wink:

Funny you say that... there's a scene in the Unforgettable Fire documentary where Tony is talking about meeting Bono for the first time. Tony told him he was in a U2 tribute band, and Bono asked him what the hardest song he had to sing was, and T told him it was "Bad.". Bono responded with "that's pretty hard for me too" or something like that.

So point made, sir.

Funny you say that... there's a scene in the Unforgettable Fire documentary where Tony is talking about meeting Bono for the first time. Tony told him he was in a U2 tribute band, and Bono asked him what the hardest song he had to sing was, and T told him it was "Bad.". Bono responded with "that's pretty hard for me too" or something like that.

So point made, sir.

Where's my copy of this? You know my address!! :angry:

:wink:

ok so, the heavy breathing is really incredibly awfully

creepy, man :eyebrow:

I posted it in PLEBA ( I know ... but they do have a You Tube thread :wink:) earlier today. I didn't expect the whole performance to eventually surface since the original one from the gala was cut off somewhere in the middle. Personally, I'm a fan of crooning Bono. Great vocals and there and nice, relaxed performance.

I dunno, the irony of the ZooTV Bono that made that duet good 20 years ago is way gone.
Now he just seems like Ann Margret.
Although this was a year ago and of course for the new album he's gonna be badass and stuff.....
right?

Back
Top Bottom