Bono interview with Charlie Rose to air May 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
200px-Link_LOZ_with_items.png

I hope there will be a link to watch the whole interview somewhere.

From what I've heard and seen so far, the interview was mostly about his campaining and a bit about the music, but with a lot of very well-known Bono phrases.

Shame about the absence of real album news, though. I hope the secrecy is a good sign.

It was an excellent interview. I think it's a bit of hyperbole to call it the "best" interview Bono's ever given. I actually thought his interview with Rose in 2001 (and 2008) was just as good, if not more informative. Anyway, it was his best interview since his last best interview, and will be until his next best interview. Rose, as always, did a good job as well.

For those interested in new record news there was very little I'm afraid. Bono just said something to the effect that they are "getting close" with the new songs, that's about it. Nothing much to get hopeful or discouraged about, i.e. for a new record this year. Then again I wasn't expecting to hear much about that.

I always come away from these lengthy interviews with Bono being so incredibly impressed and reminded of how much I like and admire his intelligence and wit. And I know he's prone to engage in, um, exaggeration, but he always comes across as genuine to me as well. He knows his stuff, he's sincere and he continues to be passionate about music, life, and the things he believes in.

A few other highlights for those who didn't see:

-Rose tried to pin him down on what he thought was a "perfect" song, but Bono said U2 hadn't recorded one. Mentioned Satisfaction by the Stones and another one (maybe something by the Supremes) that I can't recall.

-When asked about his family, actually said with a straight face and with no hint of irony to Rose, "I come from a long line of travelling sales people on my mother's side."

-Called Edge "The most influential guitarist in the last 25 years".

-Mentioned Chris Martin and I believe Noel Gallagher as great contemporary song writers.

-As has been reported, he said (paraphrasing) that he wasn't sure if the world needed a new U2 record, and that if they didn't have anything extraordinary to put out with this next record, they should hang it up. (Anyone on this thread of course knows this is just Bono being Bono).

-He did his usual praise for America about the fight against HIV in Africa, and heaped praise upon George Bush, again. What I found interesting was that his praise of Obama was slightly cooler and less effusive than what he said about some other people. Yes, he complimented Obama and said he'd hoped Obama would tour Africa this year, but when Bono wants to talk someone up, he can do it in a pretty effusive way with lots of superlatives, and he didn't do that about Obama here. I came away with the impression that he likes and admires the President, but doesn't have as close a relationship with him as he's had with other world leaders. Nothing really concrete to base this on other than what I mentioned, just my impression.

There's a lot of other interesting stuff and stories in there I'm sure will be highlighted in articles about the interview, but most of it are things people here have heard before...his first time to Africa, anecdotes about the world leaders he hangs with, his musical influences, and his admiration for his band mates (though I don't believe he mentioned anyone by name except Edge, who he praised several times, possibly b/c Rose knows him).

I just liked that he clearly wasn't playing to a crowd...and not so much the content of the interview, but that he almost seemed...oddly humble. Like - if THIS Bono showed up more often, he'd have half as many haters.

Like...for instance, his 60 Minutes interviews. Or even with Bill O'Reilly or whatever. Even when there isn't a studio audience, he always seems to be playing to the crowd, full of 'slogans' and "rock star" persona. But not last night, to me. I don't recall seeing his 2008 interview with Rose but I should track that down.

with a lot of very well-known Bono phrases.

I didn't notice much of that at all and believe me, I would. I've made screeds against his sloganeering.

"God walks through the room" was in there. But there wasn't too much 'Bonoism' going on. He told the Jesse Helms story. And he also said "the songs aren't your children, they're your parents". He wasn't too cliche. This wasn't Oprah. If he was cliche I might not have finished sitting through the interview.

But yeah, a lot of talk about economics and politics that might bore some people. Probably half that and half music.

"God walks through the room" was in there. But there wasn't too much 'Bonoism' going on. He told the Jesse Helms story. And he also said "the songs aren't your children, they're your parents". He wasn't too cliche.

You forgot "I come from a long line of travelling sales people on my Mother's side..." :wink:

He also talked about the "song are your parents" thing before, but I like it. The whole sequence where they were talking about songs, songwriting, music and the way they worked in the band and as a band was very moving, I thought Bono seemed very authentic and genuinely inspired.

I think some of these Bonoisms are forgivable. He has to talk his whole life. Once you find a way to say what you want to say, why keep reinventing it just because you have to keep saying it? Repetition doesn't make it less true.

Noel Gallagher is a "contemporary" songwriter??

Having listened to the interview it is clear that Bono supports the idea that all the greats are from the British Isles (see Arc Fire thread for more discussion on this)

He mentions Oasis, Noel Gallagher, Richard Ashcroft, The Verve, Chris Martin, Damian Rice & Massive Attack.

Now only Oasis/Noel and The Verve are great - but he knows he has to acknowledge the main man Noel as he is the greatest.

Brief mention of Bob Marley and Bob Dylan (only non Brits)

Decent interview overall

Back
Top Bottom