Bono Interview in Rolling Stone - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Bono Interview in Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...-dying-w514442
__________________

dk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,921
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Well this is extraordinarily disappointing to hear Bono say. For someone who makes such a point of lauding feminism, this is an extremely shit thing to read. Pathetic.

Quote:
How do you discover new music?
The band is always listening to music, and I have got my kids. Jordan is a music snob, an indie snob. Eve is hip-hop. Elijah is in a band, and he has got very strong feelings about music, but he doesn't make any distinction between, let's say, the Who and the Killers. Or, you know, Nirvana and Royal Blood. It is not generational for him. It is the sound and what he is experiencing. He believes that a rock & roll revolution is around the corner.

Do you believe it?
I think music has gotten very girly. And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that's not good. When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine – I don't care. The moment something becomes preserved, it is fucking over. You might as well put it in formaldehyde. In the end, what is rock & roll? Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock & roll tends to have that, which is why the Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage.
__________________

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 66,840
Local Time: 12:34 AM
Yeah, that paragraph is a mess. Women are making some of the angriest, most emotive music out right now. Someone introduce Bono to Torres and Chelsea Wolfe.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,188
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Well this is extraordinarily disappointing to hear Bono say. For someone who makes such a point of lauding feminism, this is an extremely shit thing to read. Pathetic.


Disappointing? Yes. Pathetic? Well it’s another culturally engrained construct that needs to be removed. “Girly” is used in the Irish culture to describe something as soft, emotional, just like cultures that throw around “cunt” or “pussy”.

We’re all a little disappointing and need change.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,105
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Those might be among the dumbest, most tone-deaf comments Bono has ever made. For someone is supposed to count Patti Smith among his heroes, and championed artists like PJ Harvey in the past, I don’t know what he was thinking.

Of course, that comment is now getting picked up all over the place and is going to turn into a shitshow, as it should.
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
New Yorker
 
Super Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 2,605
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Those might be among the dumbest, most time-deaf comments Bono has ever made. For someone is supposed to count Patti Smith among his heroes, and championed artists like PJ Harvey in the past, I don’t know what he was thinking.

Of course, that comment is now getting picked up all over the place and is going to turn into a shitshow, as it should.


I don’t believe he’s talking about Patti Smith or PJ Harvey kind of music, I guess he’s talking about the music that dominates pop charts these days.
Swift, Ariana Grande, Adele, etc.

I’m not excusing Bono, I’m just trying to understand what he thinks.
Super Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,921
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
I don’t believe he’s talking about Patti Smith or PJ Harvey kind of music, I guess he’s talking about the music that dominates pop charts these days.
Swift, Ariana Grande, Adele, etc.

I’m not excusing Bono, I’m just trying to understand what he thinks.
Which inherently suggests that that music is valueless, which is a load of shit.

And besides all that, he seems to think two of the three worst tracks on the new album are going to be hugely popular songs in the vein of all their biggest hits. So he's clearly got no idea.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Babyface
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 22
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Those might be among the dumbest, most time-deaf comments Bono has ever made. For someone is supposed to count Patti Smith among his heroes, and championed artists like PJ Harvey in the past, I don’t know what he was thinking.

Of course, that comment is now getting picked up all over the place and is going to turn into a shitshow, as it should.
oh for heaven's sake - so many of you on this board are hysterical in the non-funny sense of that word. and it is tone-deaf, not time-deaf but I'll assume that's your auto-correct.

read the paragraph again, in context, with the overall question about the state of rock music today. girly doesn't refer to girls making rock music (ffs) it refers to rock music that is no longer guitar driven and powerful in its expression of young idealistic anger, or frustration, or passion on issues. Current rock music is girly compared to The Who, or Pearl Jam's 'Ten' or Rage Against The Machine or, yes, even Patti Smith. Bono thinks he hears that sort of passion in hip hop, but not in rock and is therefore looking for the next rock revolution. He most certainly isn't saying girl bands suck.

as for the shit-show you predict .. what? you mean on Twitter? spare me.
TartItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,105
Local Time: 03:34 AM
It seems like he wants more aggressive music in the pop charts, which I get. But like cobbler said, that doesn't make the current pop scene worthless. He should dig a little deeper and listen to artists like St. Vincent, Algiers, Ty Segall, Priests. There's plenty of anger and edgy music out there.

Also, I find it even more ridiculous and tone-deaf that Bono thinks this, but then U2 puts out Best Thing and Get Out Of Your Own Way as singles. The latter might be the most toothless single they've ever released. He's really giving off an "old man yells at cloud" vibe with those quotes.
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,105
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TartItUp View Post
oh for heaven's sake - so many of you on this board are hysterical in the non-funny sense of that word. and it is tone-deaf, not time-deaf but I'll assume that's your auto-correct.

read the paragraph again, in context, with the overall question about the state of rock music today. girly doesn't refer to girls making rock music (ffs) it refers to rock music that is no longer guitar driven and powerful in its expression of young idealistic anger, or frustration, or passion on issues. Current rock music is girly compared to The Who, or Pearl Jam's 'Ten' or Rage Against The Machine or, yes, even Patti Smith. Bono thinks he hears that sort of passion in hip hop, but not in rock and is therefore looking for the next rock revolution. He most certainly isn't saying girl bands suck.

as for the shit-show you predict .. what? you mean on Twitter? spare me.
I'm sure that is what he meant. But he worded it very poorly and it completely ignores the vital rock music that is being made today, by both men and women.

As for who is picking it up, Billboard Magazine, Jezebel, Gizmodo, New York Magazine, Esquire Magazine, NY Daily News, etc. have all posted about it. He definitely stuck his foot in his mouth big-time. Again, I severely doubt there was malice behind it. But it's not a good look on his part.
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,188
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Which inherently suggests that that music is valueless, which is a load of shit.




I’m not sure how you got that from the quote. In fact he says it’s a good thing in many ways, but that it lacks “rage”. I have no idea where you got valueless from that?
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #12
New Yorker
 
Super Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 2,605
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Bono Interview in Rolling Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
It seems like he wants more aggressive music in the pop charts, which I get. But like cobbler said, that doesn't make the current pop scene worthless. He should dig a little deeper and listen to artists like St. Vincent, Algiers, Ty Segall, Priests. There's plenty of anger and edgy music out there.

Also, I find it even more ridiculous and tone-deaf that Bono thinks this, but then U2 puts out Best Thing and Get Out Of Your Own Way as singles. The latter might be the most toothless single they've ever released. He's really giving off an "old man yells at cloud" vibe with those quotes.


Do you really think he’s talking about Priests or St. Vincent? Honestly?
I’m sure he knows Algiers or Ty Segall.
He’’s talking about the charts, about radio, about hits... I know he used the wrong adjective for that music, but we can try to understand what he says an put in context, not only of the article, of his whole life.
Super Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,921
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TartItUp View Post
read the paragraph again, in context, with the overall question about the state of rock music today. girly doesn't refer to girls making rock music (ffs) it refers to rock music that is no longer guitar driven and powerful in its expression of young idealistic anger, or frustration, or passion on issues. Current rock music is girly compared to The Who, or Pearl Jam's 'Ten' or Rage Against The Machine or, yes, even Patti Smith. Bono thinks he hears that sort of passion in hip hop, but not in rock and is therefore looking for the next rock revolution. He most certainly isn't saying girl bands suck.
Way to completely and utterly miss the point. What you're saying is fucking obvious to anyone (it's still bullshit, maybe he should listen to Gang of Youths).

We're not talking about that, it's completely irrelevant.

It's the lazy sexism of his comment. When you say music is 'girly', it's offensive and blatantly sexist. He's using 'girly' when he means lacking passion or anger. He's saying girly because girls and females are historically associated with being soft, weak, lacking passion, lacking anger. Way to completely put down half the fucking world in one second.

I agree with Joey that there was no malice meant, but I'm very disappointed that a man who has so often championed women wouldn't pick himself up on that. It's really fucking lazy and he deserves to be roasted for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Also, I find it even more ridiculous and tone-deaf that Bono thinks this, but then U2 puts out Best Thing and Get Out Of Your Own Way as singles. The latter might be the most toothless single they've ever released. He's really giving off an "old man yells at cloud" vibe with those quotes.
A million times this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I’m not sure how you got that from the quote. In fact he says it’s a good thing in many ways, but that it lacks “rage”. I have no idea where you got valueless from that?
He's using 'girly' as a pejorative. "Good thing in many ways" doesn't take away from that fact.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 25,990
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Well this is extraordinarily disappointing to hear Bono say. For someone who makes such a point of lauding feminism, this is an extremely shit thing to read. Pathetic.
I evaluate him, and any other man, in the complete context of their lives and their previous words and actions. Not some silly off the cuff quote in Rolling Stone.

There are plenty of people who never say the "wrong" thing politically, but are living lives that make their words in that regard complete bullshit. Don't think Bono is one of those people.

I agree that he used the word girly in a completely different context. It's a soundbite for clicks these days, to say omg Bono hates girly music by women. We have a President(unfortunately) who generates clicks with every tweet. So it goes.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,921
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Sadly, though, this might be one of the best things Bono's said in a while, because if you look at all the top comments on the news stories it's a stream of shitty fuckwit men being like "it's the bloody truth only Metallica are manly now it's pathetic"
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 56,921
Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I evaluate him, and any other man, in the complete context of their lives and their previous words and actions. Not some silly off the cuff quote in Rolling Stone.

There are plenty of people who never say the "wrong" thing politically, but are living lives that make their words in that regard complete bullshit. Don't think Bono is one of those people.

I agree that he used the word girly in a completely different context. It's a soundbite for clicks these days, to say omg Bono hates girly music by women. We have a President(unfortunately) who generates clicks with every tweet. So it goes.
I am as sick of the outrage culture as anyone but I hold Bono to a higher standard than I do Josh Homme.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 25,990
Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I am as sick of the outrage culture as anyone but I hold Bono to a higher standard than I do Josh Homme.
I get that you do, and I think that's great. I honestly do, and I respect it.

I don't know who Josh Homme is.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,188
Local Time: 02:34 AM
Bono Interview in Rolling Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Way to completely and utterly miss the point. What you're saying is fucking obvious to anyone (it's still bullshit, maybe he should listen to Gang of Youths).



We're not talking about that, it's completely irrelevant.



It's the lazy sexism of his comment. When you say music is 'girly', it's offensive and blatantly sexist. He's using 'girly' when he means lacking passion or anger. He's saying girly because girls and females are historically associated with being soft, weak, lacking passion, lacking anger. Way to completely put down half the fucking world in one second.



I agree with Joey that there was no malice meant, but I'm very disappointed that a man who has so often championed women wouldn't pick himself up on that. It's really fucking lazy and he deserves to be roasted for it.







A million times this.







He's using 'girly' as a pejorative. "Good thing in many ways" doesn't take away from that fact.


I think you’re reading too far into this, he doesn’t say anything about lacking passion or being weak, just rage. Those are not interchangeable.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
Refugee
 
theu2fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,258
Local Time: 07:34 AM
Wonder though what his health scare was...

This particular photo posted a while ago he's looking a bit too skinny from his usual self.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbfXZwEhFm5/?taken-by=u2
theu2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
War Child
 
Iggy Fizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: A planet far, far away
Posts: 696
Local Time: 12:34 AM
Bono was clearly taking a swipe at Coldplay with that comment. FFS this is obvious.
__________________

Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×