Bono Interview in Rolling Stone - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywa1979 View Post
Let me know when you start treating people as people first, rather than just a collection of superficial characteristics first.
I can only judge you based on what you have said in this thread, since I don't know you. I bear you no ill will. I do bear ill will towards many of the things you said. I do not like them, and I think people holding those opinions need to break out of their echo chambers and have the types of conversations we are having.

My political views are very different from the ones I held even a few years ago. This isn't poorly thought out. I'm not hitching onto some fad because I'm mad about the results of one election. If you can't see that, frankly, that's on you. If I'm curt with you, it's because I find your viewpoints exhausting and out of tune with reality.

PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #137
45:33

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
There are years and years of prejudice that gets engraved in us.

Which is why Bono deserves to be called up on this one.

I’ve done and said a lot of shit stuff in my time, but like Peef and unlike a certain poisonous fuckwit posting in this thread, I don’t cry bloody murder when I get called out any more - I try and educate myself and be better, like you said Mikal, so that we can all live in a society where EVERYONE feels comfortable and valued.

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Which is why Bono deserves to be called up on this one.

I’ve done and said a lot of shit stuff in my time, but like Peef and unlike a certain poisonous fuckwit posting in this thread, I don’t cry bloody murder when I get called out any more - I try and educate myself and be better, like you said Mikal, so that we can all live in a society where EVERYONE feels comfortable and valued.

Yeah and I think the debate can also be over how much Bono should be called out, and it also makes sense to look at each individual’s history. So in the grand scheme of things, he’ll probably get more grief on this than he truly deserves but oh well.

And I agree with everything else you said.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Bono will certainly get more grief than he deserves.

But Bono is insulated, and has a hug amount of goodwill built up, and will be fine. If someone who owned a donut shop or hair salon said something like this, the social media mob would have seen to it that they were destroyed.
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #140
The Fly

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I can only judge you based on what you have said in this thread, since I don't know you. I bear you no ill will. I do bear ill will towards many of the things you said. I do not like them, and I think people holding those opinions need to break out of their echo chambers and have the types of conversations we are having.

My political views are very different from the ones I held even a few years ago. This isn't poorly thought out. I'm not hitching onto some fad because I'm mad about the results of one election. If you can't see that, frankly, that's on you. If I'm curt with you, it's because I find your viewpoints exhausting and out of tune with reality.
Really? Because your virulently anti-cop posts and complete misrepresentation of what happened in Ferguson a few years ago make it seem like you have EXACTLY the same viewpoints now as you did a few years ago. Down-the-line, check-the-box, radical leftist garbage.
Haywa1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywa1979 View Post
Really? Because your virulently anti-cop posts and complete misrepresentation of what happened in Ferguson a few years ago make it seem like you have EXACTLY the same viewpoints now as you did a few years ago. Down-the-line, check-the-box, radical leftist garbage.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so your opinion of me is because you're an alter of an old poster who doesn't like my politics. We're done here.
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #142
45:33

What a surprise.

How miserable he must be. Christ.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #143
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so your opinion of me is because you're an alter of an old poster who doesn't like my politics. We're done here.
Nope, not an alter. I lurked and read for years and just officially joined this year. I just remember how grossly wrong you and several others were when it came to that event, and how you (and others) never had the integrity to admit that you were wrong, or that you had effectively slandered a bunch of people.
Haywa1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Pity is, this stupid girly thing is overshadowing what is otherwise a really fantastic interview with Bono, he's in top form. And actually has been this entire promo tour.

Honest question for people much more hip on new music than I am...setting aside his perhaps poor choice of words, does he have a point about "rage" music for young men being primarily limited to hip hop, and there being a lack of the kind of outlet for angry young men via music?

Bono came up on punk, so I can see from his POV today's music may lack a certain...what? Anger? Rage? Muscularity? So is rock really less angry and rage fuelled than it used to be?

And in any event, isn't Bono's comment a bit of the pot calling the kettle black?
Nick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #145
The Fly

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Pity is, this stupid girly thing is overshadowing what is otherwise a really fantastic interview with Bono, he's in top form. And actually has been this entire promo tour.

Honest question for people much more hip on new music than I am...setting aside his perhaps poor choice of words, does he have a point about "rage" music for young men being primarily limited to hip hop, and there being a lack of the kind of outlet for angry young men via music?

Bono came up on punk, so I can see from his POV today's music may lack a certain...what? Anger? Rage? Muscularity? So is rock really less angry and rage fuelled than it used to be?

And in any event, isn't Bono's comment a bit of the pot calling the kettle black?
Yes! Good point, he's always thought they were angrier and more "punk rock" than they actually were/are.
Gzusfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #146
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Bono Interview in Rolling Stone

And now is the time we back off the insult hurling, dredging up old political grievances, and in general making this thread about your issues with other posters.

Haywa, you seem unusually eager to cast your own judgments around at people who you claim to be outraged at for casting their judgment on others. You should take Iggy’s advice.
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #147
The Fly

Bono could have chooses his words a little more better.

Frankly I’ve never been impressed by the way he comes across in magazine interviews though.
aviastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #148
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post

Depends what you're looking for. If you mean young men expressing anger in toxic ways, then yes there are fewer avenues to do that than a few decades ago, and rightly so.

But for young men whose anger isn't that of a shithead? Hell no. Obviously hip hop is a huge outlet - and Bono's comment implying it's not really for young white dudes is very strange, given all the white dudes rapping or at hip hop shows.

Metal is, of course, thriving across the planet. And the genres birthed from punk are big, especially metalcore and its derivatives, but also hardcore and post-hardcore. Emo has experienced a big resurgence in recent years; maybe there's a stereotype that's for sad young guys but it's also a good scene to channel anger in a healthy way. And if you've got some real bleak social alienation you don't have to go far to find a noise scene, and the misogynistic or racist noise artists of old are increasingly being confined to a narrow corner.

Of course each genre has problems with meathead fuckwits. In my experience those are usually regional scenes rather than genre scenes (so that a death metal scene in one city might be pretty healthy, but in another will feel threatening if you're not one of the boys). But there's plenty of effort being made so that everybody feels able to express themselves and their emotions without pushing out others who just want to have fun with a bit of musical catharsis.

And, to be honest, a lot of the angry young dudes who two decades ago you'd have seen at nu-metal shows or wearing a Limp Bizkit shirt, they now seem to be thrashing around at EDM festivals in shitty singlets.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I forgot what i was going to say
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Metal is, of course, thriving across the planet. And the genres birthed from punk are big, especially metalcore and its derivatives, but also hardcore and post-hardcore.

my daughter's (and son's) current band is deathcore, and my son is also a drummer in a technical death metal band (with a label), and both also play metalcore, hardcore and punk (and also reggae) - they're a sibling rhythm section hehe

mama cass is online now   Reply With Quote