Bono in top 10 "Rock Gods"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I agree, Freddie was just about the ultimate frontman for me, stunning voice and showmanship.

IMO he's definitely better than Liam and edges out Bowie too.

Of course he was great, but I just find it a bit boring how he's automatically put top on the list of best rock vocalists. That is just a matter of opinion. A while I was watching something about music on BBC4 and this guy was saying in his opinion John Lennon was the best rock vocalists, he's entitled to his opinion also. Personally I prefer McCartney to Lennon, as he was an innovator. Little Richard was as well, his falsetto whoohoo sound in Tutti Fruiti became a classic rock sound and inspired The Beatles and used by Bono in Elevation. Little Richards vocal style was used by singers from other genre's such as Otis Reading and James Brown. Everyone is in a league of their own, that's why they are rock singers rather than pop singers. No one taught Little Richard how to sing, he just what came naturally.

Plus I never understand this notion of high=good with Freddie. Michael Stipe is a barritone, does it mean he's crap just because he'd never reach the high notes like Freddie or the deep notes like Barry White could? Yes he did have a great voice but I think Bono, Liam, Sting and Elvis had/have even better voices. It's not the quantity of notes I'm interested in it's the quality of the voice. I also think Bono and Elvis sing with far much more emotion than Freddie and this is not an easy task to do. It's another aspect of singing that seems stupidly underated compared to power, range and accuracy.

Of course he was great, but I just find it a bit boring how he's automatically put top on the list of best rock vocalists. That is just a matter of opinion. A while I was watching something about music on BBC4 and this guy was saying in his opinion John Lennon was the best rock vocalists, he's entitled to his opinion also. Personally I prefer McCartney to Lennon, as he was an innovator. Little Richard was as well, his falsetto whoohoo sound in Tutti Fruiti became a classic rock sound and inspired The Beatles and used by Bono in Elevation. Little Richards vocal style was used by singers from other genre's such as Otis Reading and James Brown. Everyone is in a league of their own, that's why they are rock singers rather than pop singers. No one taught Little Richard how to sing, he just what came naturally.

Plus I never understand this notion of high=good with Freddie. Michael Stipe is a barritone, does it mean he's crap just because he'd never reach the high notes like Freddie or the deep notes like Barry White could? Yes he did have a great voice but I think Bono, Liam, Sting and Elvis had/have even better voices. It's not the quantity of notes I'm interested in it's the quality of the voice. I also think Bono and Elvis sing with far much more emotion than Freddie and this is not an easy task to do. It's another aspect of singing that seems stupidly underated compared to power, range and accuracy.

Personally I don't think it is really so much about the voices. Or everyone has different ideas about them as you say. For instance I love Kurt Cobain's voice and Billy Corgan's because they both have a very vulnerable, broken-hearted-innocent and disillusioned at the same time- quality and Gerard Way because he is so dramatic and powerful. For me it is not so much about hitting the notes. It's the quality, the emotion.

Freddie was a great PERFORMER and he wrote some great lyrics or did he write them?

Back
Top Bottom