Bono guest on Path To Zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, he sounds brilliant. At first I was thinking, ''oh, sounds like NLOTH Bono', but when he switched to that higher register there were definite echoes of his 1989 self.

That whole section from 2.15 is pretty powerful actually, I wish it were on a U2 album.

It just goes to show the impressive progress Bono has made as a vocalist since the late 90's/early 2000's.

I'm hoping for plenty more of the same on the next album and tour...which should be any minute now. :wink:

Sure it is powerful, but alot of straining also...

I hear what you mean, Peterrrr. However, in this case, I think the slighly gravely voice was intentional - like a man pleading, begging, for change. Screaming his soul out with the hopes of making a difference. If Bono howled a bit more pure, it may have sounded better, but could have lost the impact.

I use Mary G. Blige's version of "One" as an example. Bono also sang that song gravelly and the song had serious impact. This was a pleading song, a begging song, hoping for change. Blige's version may have been vocally better, but now the song took on self-centered aspects and lost its meaning. Blige is a great singer, but her over-singing of "One" took away from the power of the lyrics. And I think that's true here too.

Going back to the song, I love the music, but hate the reading of the poem. It sounded like some school recital or church reading. When a poet reads his/her work, there's passion there. I would have preferred a true poet to read this as the delivery wouldn't have been so monotone and rhythmic.

I hear what you mean, Peterrrr. However, in this case, I think the slighly gravely voice was intentional - like a man pleading, begging, for change.

Yeah, and he does a good job of making it sound that way. Unfortunately, I don't think he could do it without the strain these days. He sounded A LOT better in 1989, but he sounds worlds better now than 2001.

Yeah, and he does a good job of making it sound that way. Unfortunately, I don't think he could do it without the strain these days. He sounded A LOT better in 1989, but he sounds worlds better now than 2001.

In 1989 he strained more then ever :( 360 tours was very unique in one thing when we talking about his voice. He started to scream again but this time he combined it with clean high notes. Something Bono in the 80s had problems with.

I think this video shows that.
‪Bonos high notes, vocal highlights from 360 tour era‬‏ - YouTube

Also I think Bad is a very good exampel with its Wide Awake, he hits the note almost every time and sings that part three times in the song now. Also if Bono where tired in his voice in the 80s he didnt manage to hit hight notes well. On the 360 tour when he was tired he still manage to hit the high notes. Wich this version of Bad is a good example of:
‪U2 (1080HD) - Bad / Walk On The Wild Side / 40 - Pittsburgh - 2011-07-26 - Heinz Field - 360 Tour‬‏ - YouTube
He is tired but the Wide Awakes is amazing.

On LT tour he had problem to hit and hold the note
‪U2 - Bad - Live fom Rotterdam - Lovetown Tour 1990‬‏ - YouTube

Compare the Wide Awakes from the LT to these two(and the one from Pittsburgh):
7:28 in this clip
‪U2 Rome 2010-10-08 Bad w/ All I Want Is You - u2gigs.com‬‏ - YouTube

4:14 in this clip
‪U2 - Bad @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney 13/12/10 [HD]‬‏ - YouTube

Say it true...
‪U2 New Year's Day - Lovetown Rotterdam‬‏ - YouTube
‪U2 Moscow 2010-08-25 New Year's Day - u2gigs.com‬‏ - YouTube

I hear what you mean, Peterrrr. However, in this case, I think the slighly gravely voice was intentional - like a man pleading, begging, for change. Screaming his soul out with the hopes of making a difference. If Bono howled a bit more pure, it may have sounded better, but could have lost the impact.

I use Mary G. Blige's version of "One" as an example. Bono also sang that song gravelly and the song had serious impact. This was a pleading song, a begging song, hoping for change. Blige's version may have been vocally better, but now the song took on self-centered aspects and lost its meaning. Blige is a great singer, but her over-singing of "One" took away from the power of the lyrics. And I think that's true here too.

Going back to the song, I love the music, but hate the reading of the poem. It sounded like some school recital or church reading. When a poet reads his/her work, there's passion there. I would have preferred a true poet to read this as the delivery wouldn't have been so monotone and rhythmic.

A lot of people would say Jim Morrison is a true poet...

Back
Top Bottom