Bono....even aware of the fact that he

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
had an amazing voice(maby the best) in the late 80s and early 90s.
JT, achtung and zoo. im sure he figured it out during zootv.(he said somewhere that he felt like a singer for the first time on that tour.
lest talk about the great VOX bono had.
my faves are.

with or without you.
One.
stay.
lemon.
can't help falling in love (elvis cover)
to name a few.

Well, do you want to me include his ability to belt out Bad and Pride?

whatever you like. but im not just talking about some parts in a certain song. im looking at a complete song, start to finish. oh i forgot to add (The Unforgettable Fire) to my list of albums. bono realy started singing at that time and mastered it all on JT (and R&H) achtung and zoo.

whatever you like. but im not just talking about some parts in a certain song. im looking at a complete song, start to finish. oh i forgot to add (The Unforgettable Fire) to my list of albums. bono realy started singing at that time and mastered it all on JT (and R&H) achtung and zoo.

Well, then I am also throwing in All I Want Is You.

Bono's definitely aware of the fact that he had a massive voice in the eighties, but has always said that he had no idea how to use or control it, in a way I suppose it did have a life of its own at times. Edge was certainly aware of what a great vocalist Bono was becoming around the time of JT, commenting that he had developed so much as a singer in one or two interviews.

I tend to look at the whole R&H album/movie-Lovetown tour era, as the absolute peak for Bono's voice, some people feel that he oversang alot during this time, but I'm constantly blown away by the incredible power and range he demonstrated from 88-90. I mean just check out Watchtower in the movie, maybe the rest of the band are bit lacklustre but Bono's in top form, giving it everything he's got (I think he's brilliant throughout the entire film though).

Other great performances: Hawkmoon, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, Silver and Gold, Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, God Part 2, Heartland and his vocal for All I Want Is You is just sublime, so much depth and clarity.

A great vocal can lift a song to another level. Songs like Pride, Bad, Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY would have been excellent anyway, but I think its the way Bono sings them that has made them into classics, enjoyed by both the die-hards and the public.

Oh and although I thought he sounded a little scratchy and raspy on AB, I thought he pulled off some brilliant things on ZOO TV, particuarly the 92 leg.

I think Bono incredbile voice first appeard on Tomorrow, just listen to the live versions of that song.

UF
But the album that had most impressing vocals was UF, Uf is far better then JT/R&H. ASOH is like he just discoverd his new voice and just plays with it. Pride, Bad, UF, Wire are all incredible songs in vocal performences. Wire, Pride and UF have never been live as good as the studio versions in vocals.

JT
JT was also a great one, but Bono had lost a bit of the energy and had trouble to hit the notes he did on the UF period, instead he overstrained/scream to hit them(Wide Awake for an example). WOWY is a great one, RHMT, ISHFWILF. But JT dosnt have the energy voice that UF has.

LT
On this tour the energy was back, but this tour inst the best tour in notes. But in scream it is amazing. He had a little tired, hoarse sound in the background of his voice wich was a evidence that this singing isnt good for your voice. Also the falsetto started to appear.

ZooTV
Bonos voice had mature alot since LT, but also where a bit lower. You could realy hear that the LT had done some damage. But the falsetto was incredible and he still had some real power.

1994-96
An amazing voice period, he still had real power in his voice but also had a bit the later voice sound that he was going to have later.

This year is intressting, Bono was very shaky but showed power on NAD and THTBA. It was like he had discovered new power with his voice but didnt now how to use it.

Here he seemed to figure out how to use it... :)

High C on alot of Wide Awakes, havent hit them like this since UF/COH tour. Miss Sarajevo...

come back later, must drive to my work :)

He had a more powerful voice then but he had no clue about actual singing. All screaming in the 80's. He was always aware of that power.

Even with all that he's no match for amazing singers in rock like Orbison or Mercury or Buckley.

He had a more powerful voice then but he had no clue about actual singing. All screaming in the 80's. He was always aware of that power.

The first tour he started to sing and less scream was ZooTV.
On ZooTV and Popmart Bono hadnt enough power to scream like he did in the 80s and hadnt learned how to sing like his does now.
But Vertigo tour is the tour when he realy learned how to sing but also he has got the power back.

A few examples that Bono has devolope as a singer

"Wide Awake" in Bad
5:19 in the clip
YouTube - U2: Bad Live Rattle & Hum

vs
4:53 in the clip
YouTube - U2 Bad Live From Saitama Super Arena, Japan 12-04-2006

"You" in AIWIY

time 3:55 in the clip
YouTube - U2 - All I Want Is You

Bonos voice is weak at this show, but the You's is much stronger in singing then in the 80's
time 4:16 in the clip
YouTube - U2 - All I Want Is You (Buenos Aires 2006.03.02)

Even with all that he's no match for amazing singers in rock like Orbison or Mercury or Buckley.

Mercury is the only singer of these that I can make a vs with. But still all of them hasnt the soul and feeling Bono got in his singing and voice.

I prefer the voice he's having today over all the screaming he did in the 80s. Most of the time he had no control over his voice and didn't know how to use it properly. In the late 90s and up to Elevation tour, his voice was at its worse. Then it started to improve again and I'm very confident for the next album, especially after hearing the beach clips.

Bono is aware of the fact that his voice was much better and stronger in the eighties - and it's just obvious, but ... Peter again, :wave: I mean even Bono said he couln't make the Duett with Clannad last year because he can't reach the notes anymore...

YouTube - CLANNAD - In A Lifetime

Bono is aware of the fact that his voice was much better and stronger in the eighties - and it's just obvious, but ... Peter again, :wave: I mean even Bono said he couln't make the Duett with Clannad last year because he can't reach the notes anymore...
No, a member in Clannad said that. Bono told an interviewer on radio that he could do that song now. He told the interviewer that he can go up very high.

No, a member in Clannad said that. Bono told an interviewer on radio that he could do that song now. He told the interviewer that he can go up very high.

never heard of that radio - interview. Source?
But that's what many newspapers wrote:
Bono no longer has the voice for Clannad - WalesOnline

and I mean - just stupid to discuss - of course he had a better voice back in the eighties and early 90s- he was younger, stronger, had more power (I can't wait for Red Rocks, finally :drool:) - now he sings in a different way gets supported by singing trainers etc. Many people can hold a tone like he now (Miss Sarajewo, Sometimes...) - that's not such a big deal. His voice in the eighties was not trainend it was such raw, powerful - like from outerspace. A miracle of nature...
But I also really like to listen to him now - much better production technic - and he's still a great singer with a unique voice. I think "Breath" could be a good song on the next album ho hear that.

I heard that radio interview as well, Bono called the radio station after hearing the Clannad report about him. (I'm looking for the source, maybe Peterrr has it)

I have the radio interview, it was on Irish Radio, Colm & Jim-Jim Dish the Dirt on March 11, 2008. They gave the report, Bono heard it and called them from his car. He sings too. LOL

It's in my save file here if anyone's interested.

http://save file.com/projects/1083272

Bono really does have a distinctive voice, you can point out that its a U2 song even if you don't know it when you hear Bonos voice. :up:

I have the radio interview, it was on Irish Radio, Colm & Jim-Jim Dish the Dirt on March 11, 2008. They gave the report, Bono heard it and called them from his car. He sings too. LOL

It's in my save file here if anyone's interested.

http://save file.com/projects/1083272

Bono is just cool :applaud: -
Tanks for the link.

But anyway - al this comparison with this classical view on the voice doesn't make sense. He had and has a rock voice - to say he is a better singer now bechauce he sings more like a classical singer - like in sometimes or during miss sarajewo doesn't make much sense to me... than would be Bruce Dickenson even a better singer... :lol:

When it comes to the 80s, my favourite Bono vocals are on UF. To me his voice then had this golden, soaring quality without being overbearing. I still find some of his later JT and R&H singing off-putting for that reason; in fact my favourite vocal performance from JT is Running to Stand Still where Bono reins himself in and doesn't sound any less passionate for it.

Overall, I prefer Bono's singing from ATYCLB and on.

never heard of that radio - interview.

and I mean - just stupid to discuss - of course he had a better voice back in the eighties and early 90s- he was younger, stronger, had more power (I can't wait for Red Rocks, finally :drool:) - now he sings in a different way gets supported by singing trainers etc. Many people can hold a tone like he now (Miss Sarajewo, Sometimes...) - that's not such a big deal. His voice in the eighties was not trainend it was such raw, powerful - like from outerspace. A miracle of nature...
But I also really like to listen to him now - much better production technic - and he's still a great singer with a unique voice. I think "Breath" could be a good song on the next album ho hear that.

It was more raw, but I cant agree with more powerfull. I always take the studio version of Wave of sorrow as a good example. The high "Wave" note is a very good example, there no way Bono could have got that powerful sound in his voice back then. He didnt have that sound in his voice back then.

The same with the powerful opera note he did in the end of 2006-12-04 - Tokyo performence of SYCMIOYO. And I doubt that Bono could have hit the "l'amoure" note in Miss Sarajevo back then. And he still got the power in his voice just listen to Desire from the Union chapel performence in 2007. "Let you go" have never been sing so strong, not even on LT tour. Also the Rock N Roll ****** snippet on Vertigo was very raw. But he is smart enough to not use is often these days. Because he know what it does to his voice.

Back
Top Bottom