Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It happened during one of the performances/interviews the other day, so it was talked about in that thread.

Sadly, Bono immediately said that he was kidding.

Here's how I heard it:

Bono said he's gifted, but a wanker. The host asked him to apologize because, mainly, 'wanker' is a swear-word in the UK and you can't say that live. Bono, who was probably just ribbing one of his cohorts with the comment, got surly and retorted in the vein of "ok then, he's a dysfunctional cretin. That better?". Host still didn't like it, so later in the interview, Bono kinda said, "Ah, fine, he's a good guy, happy"

Trouble is, in print, it sounds way more passive-aggressive, and I'm sure the interwebs will be all aflame about it. In that context, probably not great for the band. On the other hand, finally, some sparring amongst top bands. Been too long!

I hope he is kidding, Chris Martin may not be all that well liked, but he is an avid fan of U2, and gives the band a lot of props and deference. ie. His Q awards acceptance speech where he said CP were the best band in the world, but only until U2 came back from holiday.

I hope he really wasn't kidding. Bono just went up a couple of notches in my bad-ass list. Chris Martin indeed is a wanker. Just because he's an ^ avid U2 fan doesn't make it impossible to be a wanker. Plenty of people on this website alone are giant wankers. Avid U2 fan and wanker - not oxymorons to each other.

Is there an audio version of this? because if there is I'm putting that on my answering machine, as my alarm, my phone ringer, my sms ringer. Best thing he's said since "They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends, Gonna last with you longer than your friend". Cheers.

:ohmy:

I really don't know what to say.

Right now I can imagine Chris Martin ripping up his U2 posters in his bedroom. :wink:

I was listening live and did a huge double take before bursting out laughing. Bono was totally having a joke and just got caught out, however, the more I think about it, the more I think it may have been a very cunning publicity stunt to wind up the BBC whilst it is recovering from recent 'scandals'. If it was it has certainly worked to drum up publicity, possibly even more so than the rooftop gig.

Yeah!! :hyper: Just what I needed to hear all along,from the man himself no less :love:

I would have basically told him to piss off if I had to do anything with him...:tsk:

Good God,people are going way out of proportion. After his joke (which it was) he goes on and complements him and the band.

joke   [johk] Show IPA noun, verb, joked, jok⋅ing.
–noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.
4. something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class.
5. practical joke.
–verb (used without object)
6. to speak or act in a playful or merry way: He was always joking with us.
7. to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious: He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
–verb (used with object)
8. to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
9. to obtain by joking: The comedian joked coins from the audience.

Haha thanks Dragonfave. :up:
I really don't understand why the media's making such a huge deal about this. It is kinda funny in a way though!

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode...LOLOLO

It ain't a bad word here on the other side of the pond

Back
Top Bottom