Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe they should pay more attention to the genius and macca reference. who cares if he made a tongue in cheek joke about the wanker stuff. he called chris martin a genius people and no I do not think he was joking. I do not get the coldplaybashing in here it is so pathetic. Chris martin has allways expressed his admiration, his love and affection towards u2. Never said a bad thing about them. Who can blame him he wants the topspot, whatelse is there to accomplish for this band. It is amazing how big they have become in such a relatively short period of time.

I don't why people here hate Chris Martin and CP , they don't brag unlike say Oasis and have written more than two good songs (ahem Oasis).

While Chris is a bit of a muppet, he's inoffensive and if you met in him real life would be a pretty likeable chap.

I think some people here are simply insecure and perceive CP as a threat to U2 (an irrational idea, I know) and feel that they have to personally 'defend' their band by indulging in some mindlessly bashing, of a band that shows unreasonable deference to U2.

Why don't people bash the Killers instead? After all Brandon did say U2 were antiquated.

I think the CP bashers here are cut from much the same cloth as the U2 bashers, who didn't like the threat U2 presented to their true "sex, drugs & rock n roll" bands.

I don't why people here hate Chris Martin and CP , they don't brag

Oh really? Then why did I hear CM say that his voice was as good as Bono's during War/UF era's now and that he'll surely will beat him someday.

I dislike coldplay because I can't stand their singer. He's arrogant and has a whiny voice that my ears do not appreciate.

This is so stupid. I watched the video of the interview before I read this and I honestly can't believe this thread could even last this long.

I've come to believe the press relies heavily on the public generally being idiots to keep their industry alive.

I've watched the interview, and I've got a few clear things:

1.-Bono was just joking, he didn't want to say: oh, I admire him very much. He just wanted to make it more interesting. Maybe it wasn't the best of choices, but he was laughing all the time.

2.-The interviewer started the programme asking them if they pee in the shower, which is quite a rude and shocking question, and established clearly that it wasn't to be the most ellegant conversation in the media.

3.- I can't understand why she judged it necessary to apologise on behalf of Bono, instead of apologising on her own behalf, as she was the one who established the low level conversation, she is the conductor of the programme.

4.- She is very intelligent, she used the incident very well on her own benefit.

5.- I've never seen British newspapers so worried when it's Bono or U2 who are insulted in public.

I have nothing against Chris Martin, I like his voice when he's singing and I also like some Coldplay songs, although I'm not a fan I don't understand why so many people here bash him, but I can't either understand why so many people bash and hate Bono here and out of this site, it must be something you can't avoid when you¡re a celebrity.

The audio is easy to find online and on youtube, people. Bono was clearly joking, though it's not obvious if you only quote the wanker line and not the whole conversation! (He also called Martin a disfunctional cretin).

In truth, and all joking aside, however, Chris Martin is indeed a major wanker...and a cretin.

I’m sure over the years he would have developed quite the long list of people he can’t stand, and there would of course be a far larger list of people who can’t stand him, but he’s no Gallagher, this would pretty much be the first time he’s ever blasted someone like this. So firstly it’s totally out of character, and it’s someone that by all other reports he gets along with very well, a guy who openly idolizes him. Not only that, but, despite what all the utterly ridiculous Martin/Coldplay bashers around here like to say, Chris Martin is well known as a really, really nice guy (opposite of wanker), a clean living, highly ambitious guy (opposite of dysfunctional) and very intelligent (opposite of a cretin). Stupid for Bono not to realise that what he was saying could be so easily isolated and headlined, but he probably assumed everyone had the same opinion of Martin, so it would be like someone saying “oh yeah, Johnny Depp, great actor, obviously really ugly though”, where no-one would take that as anything other than a joke.

Well, exactly. I was trying to remember if Bono had ever dissed another performer over the years, and I came up empty. That's just not who he is.

I'm quite disappointed, though. I thought the British had a better sense of humour than this, lol.

On the bright side, it's knocked that ridiculous tax haven story off the front page.

"Chris Martin is well known as . . . very intelligent (opposite of a cretin)"

This is a guy who claimed Live 8 was "the greatest thing ever to happen in the history of the world." Yes, quite a brilliant chap.

I don't why people here hate Chris Martin and CP , they don't brag unlike say Oasis and have written more than two good songs (ahem Oasis).

While Chris is a bit of a muppet, he's inoffensive and if you met in him real life would be a pretty likeable chap.

I think some people here are simply insecure and perceive CP as a threat to U2 (an irrational idea, I know) and feel that they have to personally 'defend' their band by indulging in some mindlessly bashing, of a band that shows unreasonable deference to U2.

Why don't people bash the Killers instead? After all Brandon did say U2 were antiquated.

I think the CP bashers here are cut from much the same cloth as the U2 bashers, who didn't like the threat U2 presented to their true "sex, drugs & rock n roll" bands.

Oasis is an absolutely brilliant band. What do you mean "2 good songs"? they have so many good songs Coldplay doesn't have the ability to make that many if they were given 1000 years to record music.

I for one am supremely glad he said it. 'twas about time U2 showed some badassery. Chris Martin is a crying wimp; a true wanker.

Chris Martin Responds

COLDPLAY'S Chris Martin has laughed off a personal slur by one of the world's most sanctimonious singers - Bono

The U2 singer playfully called Martin a "w--ker,'' a "completely dysfunctional character'' and a "cretin'' on live UK radio last week, as well as a "great melodist.''

"I always thought he felt that way,'' Martin joked.

"I think it's great that we're arch enemies,'' Martin said. "That's a joke too.''

Martin has long used U2 as the benchmark for Coldplay, with U2 saying Martin's band also keep them on their toes.

The mutual lovefest continues: Coldplay are now playing U2's new single Magnificent just before they come on stage "as a mark of respect.''

"We respect any musician,'' Martin said, ``particularly ones who've kept going and not changed line up and have always been good.

"The difficulty of the whole U2 thing is we're only on our fourth record. We're competing with people on their fifth records. We're just coming up to where people were making (the Beatles') Revolver or (U2's) The Joshua Tree. We're at a very different stage.''

Martin is one of the most self-critical million-selling rock stars alive, regularly slating Coldplay before their detractors have a chance to.

"Even in Melbourne there's probably a hundred better singers than me and a hundred better drummers than Will (Champion), but we have a particular chemistry none of us can explain,'' Martin said.

"None of us are ever going to be virtuoso players who can wow people with technique.''

Martin recently said hearing Bruce Springsteen made him feel like his band were "s--t''.

"I know we're not s--t.'' Martin clarified. "We want to be like Hussain Bolt, we don't want to be the guy who came fifth. It's not enough to get into the Olympic finals, you've got to win it.

"We're on our fourth album, we're doing about as well as you can ask to do, but there's a blessing and a curse to being in a band in 2009. The curse is there's so many things that have gone before you it's difficult to be original and also you're competing against all those things in history from Beethoven to Sigur Ros to Gabriella Cilmi.

"The blessing is you have all this stuff to learn from and draw from.''

The band are already working on the follow-up to last year's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, the highest-selling album in the world for 2008.

"We've always got to improve, that's very important,'' Martin said.

"We try to only listen to things that are terrifyingly good. I think that's the way you should operate, you should always assume there's someone about to be better than you so you keep working hard.''

Martin has also written the comeback single for ex-girlfriend Natalie Imbruglia; the singer has pushed the release of her new album back to May to include the track.

"A bit annoyingly we've given her the best Coldplay song of all time, but because we're off-cycle we can't do it ourselves,'' Martin said.

"Half of me wishes we still had it. But she sounds f---ing brilliant on it. I think she has a very unique talent and an incredibly unique voice.''

Coldplay are planning to release a free live album later this year ("tickets are expensive, especially in a recession. We're playing huge places, we thought it'd be cool to do something like that'') and will open Sydney's Sound Relief concert on March 14 with a full band, as opposed to their planned acoustic set.

"We're trying to make it extra good,'' Martin said. "It's going to be a great day.''

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...012974,00.html

Chris Martin actually comes out okay from this whole thing. I actually am starting to feel a bit sorry for him with the amount of abuse he gets around here.

See, he shows unnecessary deference to U2.

All the CP haters here don't realise that they're just mindlessly bashing basically a U2 fan (like us) who through hard work has become extremely successful.

So what. He's a male.

Most men have masturbated at some point in their lives. Maybe Bono just walked in on Chris one day when he was slapping the salami. Nothing wrong with telling the truth.

But you know, there's a good chance Bono has masturbated at some point in his life; so that too makes him a wanker :sexywink:

Oasis is an absolutely brilliant band. What do you mean "2 good songs"? they have so many good songs Coldplay doesn't have the ability to make that many if they were given 1000 years to record music.

Oasis

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

So what. He's a male.

Most men have masturbated at some point in their lives. Maybe Bono just walked in on Chris one day when he was slapping the salami. Nothing wrong with telling the truth.

But you know, there's a good chance Bono has masturbated at some point in his life; so that too makes him a wanker :sexywink:

:ohmy:

"slapping the salami" :hmm:

So what. He's a male.

lol :lol:

See, he shows unnecessary deference to U2.

All the CP haters here don't realise that they're just mindlessly bashing basically a U2 fan (like us) who through hard work has become extremely successful.

So, because he's a U2 fan we can't bash him? Because he's a U2fan that immediately turns him into NOT an asshole and some kind of holy status?
I don't give a shit whose fan he is, he's still an arrogant asshole and I'll continue the bashing for as long as people bash Bono for being an asshole.

So what. He's a male.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Reading too much into things? check. Too much information? check!

And I'm fairly sure you can make that most men into any men. :wink:

Watching him on stage tonight, he came across as anything but a wanker, and anything but a Bono wannabe. He came across as one of the great frontmen, a genuine an earnest bloke who has deserved all the success he has recieved, who certainly has a terrific knack for melody.

So, because he's a U2 fan we can't bash him? Because he's a U2fan that immediately turns him into NOT an asshole and some kind of holy status?
I don't give a shit whose fan he is, he's still an arrogant asshole and I'll continue the bashing for as long as people bash Bono for being an asshole.

What exactly is it that makes CM an "asshole"?

And why is it his fault that other people are bashing Bono?

Back
Top Bottom