Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone got the R1 Rattle & Hum Interview from October 1988 on audio? I think Adam opens the fuckgates there, worth a listen again for vulgarity context...! :hyper:

I find it strange as this era is a bit more lazy with the F-word. On one site I post elsewhere some of the reactions are like "oh he meant it!!!!" ie they read the text version and because they are not U2 fans, they use it as ammo against evil spiteful Bono.

But yeah since the Brand/JR thing plus add to that the fact the Beeb has been on sorta probation since their dodgy competition scandals, they are playing nice old 1950s BBC again. Jolly good!

Apparentely on a BBC radio show a few weeks back the comedian Frank Skinner was pulled up for using the word 'bitch'. :lol::lol:

After having listened to it on You Tube...who could think that Bono was doing anything other than just joking around? The whole interview was in that vein.

I watched the interview on You Tube and it was already censored :lol:

Btw, is there any link to the whole Jo Whiley interview, because my video is only 3,5 minutes long.

It made the news in Sydney!? :lol:

What did they say about it?

Can't find the link anywhere . . . grrrrr . . . . but basically it had some stupid title like 'Rock Star Wars' and some stuff about bono slamming chris martin in a tirade on bbc :lol: then played the two 'offending' remarks

Yes, I did. I think he is that good a melodist. I mean, he's a wanker (more laughter)... but, eh...

and

And he's a disfunctional character and a cretin

before closing with 'and so far chris martin has declined to comment'

too flipping funny! but kinda annoying too . . .. I had about 6 txt messages from friends and family after it screened telling me what a knob bono is - excellent!!! :lol:

wtf? Takes one to know one I guess.

Man I'm tired of the U2 hype machine... ... .. That's the trouble with these guys, they dont know how to keep a low profile, or the importance of it. :huh:

wtf? Takes one to know one I guess.

Man I'm tired of the U2 hype machine... ... .. That's the trouble with these guys, they dont know how to keep a low profile, or the importance of it. :huh:

Oh yes, because when you're promoting a new album it's totally natural to keep a low profile :lol:

I guess you're Chris Martin, hi Chris. Don't worry, B was joking. U2 still is better than Coldplay. :wave:

Context people, context. You should read the whole transcript on U2.com to realise he was really only joking around. Of course, with Bono you can never know for sure, but hey, that's Bono ;)

I agree though that these days, you can't say ANYTHING anymore as a celebrity as it's always being mistaken for something it's not.

It's amazing that these crap journalists maliciously spin it into a negative story. They know exactly what they're doing and for this they should be taken out back and........well I'll leave that to myself.

Notice they don't even write that Bono said he apologised, said he was joking, complemented Martin, and even went on to say he spent New Years with him at a party in Scotland. What's bad when this happens is that the story then gets regurgitated and spun off to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who thinks they're a journalist without getting the facts straight. The same thing happened to Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn recently.

It's amazing that these crap journalists maliciously spin it into a negative story. They know exactly what they're doing and for this they should be taken out back and........well I'll leave that to myself.

Notice they don't even write that Bono said he apologised, said he was joking, complemented Martin, and even went on to say he spent New Years with him at a party in Scotland. What's bad when this happens is that the story then gets regurgitated and spun off to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who thinks they're a journalist without getting the facts straight. The same thing happened to Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn recently.

:up:

The statement was definitely taken out of context. :doh:

Bono was just joking. Besides I read on another forum that on the No Line On the Horizon booklet where the band thanks people, U2/Bono thanks Chris Martin. :D

I’m sure over the years he would have developed quite the long list of people he can’t stand, and there would of course be a far larger list of people who can’t stand him, but he’s no Gallagher, this would pretty much be the first time he’s ever blasted someone like this. So firstly it’s totally out of character, and it’s someone that by all other reports he gets along with very well, a guy who openly idolizes him. Not only that, but, despite what all the utterly ridiculous Martin/Coldplay bashers around here like to say, Chris Martin is well known as a really, really nice guy (opposite of wanker), a clean living, highly ambitious guy (opposite of dysfunctional) and very intelligent (opposite of a cretin). Stupid for Bono not to realise that what he was saying could be so easily isolated and headlined, but he probably assumed everyone had the same opinion of Martin, so it would be like someone saying “oh yeah, Johnny Depp, great actor, obviously really ugly though”, where no-one would take that as anything other than a joke.

The statement was definitely taken out of context. :doh:

Bono was just joking. Besides I read on another forum that on the No Line On the Horizon booklet where the band thanks people, U2/Bono thanks Chris Martin. :D

Yeah, SO out of context. Just read the credits in the booklet people. I immediately noticed Chris Martin's name there. They are 'mates'. They just sang together at the Warchild benefit. Seriously, can't a man make a joke anymore?

I love U2, but I like Coldplay. What's the crime there?
There's room enough for the both of them. Everyone's ofcourse free to hate on Chris Martin if they like, but I can't see the reason. He's quite dull for a rockstar, not controversial enough to stir up such dislike.
Well, I guess you learn something new everyday.
There's some sort of notion out there that Coldplay is a threat to the throne of U2, personally I don't see them like that. U2 are their own league. And so they will remain, lonely at the top for now. I don't think Coldplay will last that long or leave the same legacy. But that's okay, they should do their own thing. Not every band has to be a global superband. How boring would that be? :wink:

It does remind me of the simpsons episode but he did say it very tounge and cheek :)

A whole lot of fuss about nothing...news must have been slow that day. Chris Martin should thank Bono for giving him some free publicity.

I can't believe there are that many gullible people out there that think Bono was being really serious....reminds me of the game "Telephone" when I was young...one kid tells the person next to him a phrase ...by the time you get 20 or so people down the line the original phrase was completely changed

The ppl over on at Coldplaying forum aren't even taking this seriously, and they are devoted followers of the Church of Christ Martin.

The media are probably only making a big deal out of this whole thing because Bono isn't known for saying stuff like this. It may have been a "joke", but I really can't see why Bono would find it so funny to call someone who has openly been a huge U2 fan a "wanker" and a "dysfunctional cretin" on air, even if he then goes on to say good stuff about him.

Back
Top Bottom