Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If someone did, so what? Chris is only obsessed about Bono and that run was utterly pointless.

Haha, the perfect example of the Martin/Coldplay bashing in here that is really utterly pointless and irrational. The crowd absolutely loved it, and this 7 song Coldplay set at midday, that opened a 10hr benefit concert packed with great acts and highlights, is pretty much all anyone is talking about from that day (which was this Saturday just gone – 50,000+ in the crowd and broadcast on several channels live nationally), and I’ve seen this clip I don’t know how many times in the news since then. To say that Bono (and countless others) have done this kind of thing before is correct, but just turning your nose and saying “Rubbish. Pointless.” is really, really lame.

I’m not much of a Coldplay fan – really like about a quarter of their stuff, really don’t like about a quarter (e.g. Fix You – awful) and think about half is just… dull. But I do truly think the bashing in here is ridiculous. He idolises Bono, so what? Why is that bad? The band utilizes a lot of U2’s sounds and/or gimmicks, so what? Why is that bad? They’re incredibly ambitious, so what? Why is that bad?

Their rapid upwards trajectory is almost certainly locked in for now. Only a mammoth fuck up (unlikely) or a real creative stagnation (far more likely) can really stop them from only getting much, much bigger. He is pretty embarrassing, but I don't see why they are so hated. There's nothing offensive about them, at all. Personally I just hope they manage to break out soundwise. Shake it up. If they're going to be this huge and even more dominant in the future - and they likely are - I'd really like them to get more interesting, work from a wider palate. They're not at all interesting to me now. But I really don't mind that this band might do it, these four guys, and I honestly think it's great that they're doing so much of it off the U2 playbook. Big fucking deal. It's a compliment.

that run actually looked like a lot of fun. arms stretched out being chased by hundreds of people in a hot summer sun... man that'd be quite the rush actually.

that said, does anyone else get flashbacks to 28 days/weeks later when you see martin get chased down like that? almost terrifying in a way.

I like Cold Play, not a fan, but I think it's an interesting band, but I can't figure up what's so fantastic about this performance, the song is a bore, Chris was singing awfully here and the run is just a way to emulate what Bono did during the first 10 years of his career, but without an objective, that's the problem with Chris, he emulates and that's ok, everybody does, but I always get the feeling he just doesn't understand what's the point of what he's trying to imitate.

alright, just exactly what "point" has bono ever tried to make when running through the crowd?

next time i see someone going for a run on the pavement i'm gonna stop them and tell them that there's no point, and even if there was, it's all been done before.

That video was really great, thanks for posting that. I could almost see the thought-bubble over that security guy's head as he had to follow Chris: "Oh goddamnit." :lol:

the run is just a way to emulate what Bono did during the first 10 years of his career, but without an objective, that's the problem with Chris, he emulates and that's ok, everybody does, but I always get the feeling he just doesn't understand what's the point of what he's trying to imitate.

This just in, folks: Bono invented running.

alright, just exactly what "point" has bono ever tried to make when running through the crowd?

Actually, at a good-feelings-all-round benefit concert after a national tragedy, that sort of act of release or whatever is probably bang on point.

And I think the real lesson learned from Bono from this sort of thing is far more clever than just base level mimickery. They’re a very focused and ambitious band in their own right, not just act-followers. That shot of Bono dancing at Live Aid is one of the iconic moments from a gig absolutely loaded with massive talent. This concert is certainly nothing in comparison to Live Aid in any way, it was just a relatively small local thing, but Coldplay due to having their own show that evening were given the opening spot on a very large bill of very popular local and international acts. It would have been very easy for them to have been forgotten by even the crowd there within a couple of hours, but instead via this and taking a back seat and playing backing band to an iconic local singer earlier in their set, they became ‘the’ image and highlight of the day. Smart.

I have to admit I am surprised to hear the fans call Martin a god and A legend.
Are their fans that young?

If someone did, so what? Chris is only obsessed about Bono and that run was utterly pointless.

I laugh at Chris Martin's stupid face, but this is a silly little comment.

And while I shouldn't judge, I have the impression that calling out Chris for being "obsessed about Bono" may be somewhat hypocritical on your behalf. Guy's got idols and ambitions. Bono used to copy moves from Iggy Pop and Ian Curtis. What's wrong with that?

Bono used to copy moves from Iggy Pop and Ian Curtis.

While that may be true...

pride.gif

^These moves are ALL Bono

ha, if chris martin is obsessed with bono then what are the people who write hundreds, if not thousands of messages on this message board?

it's all so incredibly petty.

full marks though to that run by martin, like i said yesterday. that's the coolest thing i've seen from them, perhaps ever. it's not saying much, seeing as i find them bland, but credit is due where it's due.

Martin has his own frontman style anyway, as evident in In My Place and Fix You...don't think he's "copying" anyone, certainly not Bono.

hahahahahaha that video was fucking brilliant when it just cuts to that shot of Martin pegging it across the floor with his arms out wide

I love U2 and Coldplay. Where does that leave me?:hmm:

Although, I have to admit, I lol'd when, during Coldplay's performance at the Grammys, my 77 year old grandma says of Chris Martin, "He sure does act a lot like Bono, doesn't he?":lol: Yes, my entire family has had to deal with my U2 obsession. Go Grandma.

Back
Top Bottom