Bono called Chris Martin a wanker...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What exactly is it that makes CM an "asshole"?

Anything but an "asshole" if you ask me. And arrogance? What the fuck?

He's an excited and justifably confident bloke who is living the dream, and living it well. People ask him questions, he says what he feels and thinks, much better than bottling it up or hiding from the spotlight like a misanthrope.

Confidence so often gets confused with arrogance.

What exactly is it that makes CM an "asshole"?

And why is it his fault that other people are bashing Bono?

A couple of interviews I read. And his various comparing himself with Bono and U2.

And it's not. It had nothing to do with that. I just said I'm not going to stop bashing him because he's a U2 fan. It's not like the U2 haters are gonna stop bashing Bono anytime soon either.

And his various comparing himself with Bono and U2.

The thing is, that Martin himself has often found it difficult to believe or accept Coldplay's success and his fame. He is genuinely self-deprecating. And surely, despite his insecurities about being famous and in a "big band", when your records sell by the truckload, you sell out night after night on tour, you win all these awards, you get to work with someone like Eno, you would most likely start to wonder that maybe your band is as big as U2. I mean, all the evidence is there! This realisation is not a bad thing, it's just the vibe he's getting. Tell me you wouldn't feel the same way, and it could be worse, he could be comparing himself to someone less noble such as an Alice Cooper or a Chad Kroger.

So, because he's a U2 fan we can't bash him? Because he's a U2fan that immediately turns him into NOT an asshole and some kind of holy status?
I don't give a shit whose fan he is, he's still an arrogant asshole and I'll continue the bashing for as long as people bash Bono for being an asshole.

:

He must have really hurt you on that dreadful day that you two split up.
I know the pain a breakup costs but I can tell you that time indeed does heal the scars. Goodluck!

Anything but an "asshole" if you ask me. And arrogance? What the fuck?

He's an excited and justifably confident bloke who is living the dream, and living it well. People ask him questions, he says what he feels and thinks, much better than bottling it up or hiding from the spotlight like a misanthrope.

Confidence so often gets confused with arrogance.

finally someone that understands:up::up::up::up::up:

So, because he's a U2 fan we can't bash him? Because he's a U2fan that immediately turns him into NOT an asshole and some kind of holy status?
I don't give a shit whose fan he is, he's still an arrogant asshole and I'll continue the bashing for as long as people bash Bono for being an asshole.

I seriously don't know why you hate him so much, I never read any interview that made him come across like an asshole.

It's tall poppy syndrome, he is a hugely successful U2 fan, we're not, so some people bash him. They're quite similar in attitude to all the U2 basher's actually.

And I bet that if some guy came on here posting that he's in a band and uploaded some performances etc. You would probably not post scathing criticism of his music (even if it was some utter crap) and definitely not call him an asshole.

Ok let me repeat myself again.

CM IS a wanker. Actually he's a big fucking turd.

With that said he is a very good song writer and Coldplay make excellent music.

But Martin himself is one big, fat, steaming pile of shit

His wife is a more irittating individual by far...

Fishstick.jpg

uhm, GOOP anyone?

I’ll come out as a wanker by shamelessly namedropping, but I once spent a couple of days with Coldplay and none of them, especially Chris Martin, were wankers. At all. Admittedly this was Parachutes era, pre Gwyneth and global megastardom and millions and jets and people can change, especially under those circumstances, but of dozens of bands/singers I met and spent time with during that period (due to my line of work at the time) they were among the most nice/genuine/interesting/whatever. So yeah, he may have since turned into a complete c*nt, but I’ve yet to see the evidence of it from anything in public, and I’m quite happy to give him/them the benefit of the doubt from that experience.

For those who are so sure he’s the spawn of satan, what about him makes you think that?

The pic says oh no Kevin Spacey's coming for dinner!

I quite like them [CP] actually, the last record had some good ideas and 1 & 2 are excellent X&Y is not so hot...

I’ll come out as a wanker by shamelessly namedropping, but I once spent a couple of days with Coldplay and none of them, especially Chris Martin, were wankers. At all. Admittedly this was Parachutes era, pre Gwyneth and global megastardom and millions and jets and people can change, especially under those circumstances, but of dozens of bands/singers I met and spent time with during that period (due to my line of work at the time) they were among the most nice/genuine/interesting/whatever. So yeah, he may have since turned into a complete c*nt, but I’ve yet to see the evidence of it from anything in public, and I’m quite happy to give him/them the benefit of the doubt from that experience.

For those who are so sure he’s the spawn of satan, what about him makes you think that?

I'm genuinely curious, too. I haven't really liked anything since Parachutes and Rush, so admittedly, I haven't paid much attention to them/him, but from the little I've seen, he seems nice enough.

If it's the whole thing about him wanting to be Bono, or attempting to act like Bono onstage, but not being able to pull it off...well, imitation (whether intentional or not) is the sincerest form of flattery, and I really don't see the problem with it. At the very least, it certainly doesn't speak to the kind of person he is. So yeah, colour me baffled.

Honestly... Bono was joking, and I'm sure CM realized that. I'm not a huge Coldplay apologist, but I do like a decent bit of what Coldplay does (like a lot of people on this board), and I wish some of the (non-teasing/joking) hate would die down. Does CM want to be Bono? Probably. But in his own right, I consider him a very competent vocalist and lyricist who has earned a lot of international respect. You can choose to agree or not to agree with that, and I won't try to stop you, but I wish some of the hate would die down.

It is amazing, today I read a post on another site, seemingly Coldplay played Magnificent over the PA in Melbourne prior to their gig. So, this poster thought it was their "revenge" [y'know ironic] for Bono's nasty remarks :hmm: I mean, they thought the wanker comment was real and spiteful and sincere - all this, no matter how many times I posted the link to the Youtube audio that tells the real story, it went over their heads... whoosh >>>>

Like I've said before people will find anyway to have a go at U2, "cheap shot" I think is the term and this one was particularly cheap. I encounter way too many green-eyed monsters on other forums, with hardly a decent argument between them, ah well!

This really is turning into the Hatfields and the McCoys.

U2 fans blasting Coldplay for being too much like U2.

Coldplay fans blasting U2 for being past their prime and it is time for U2 to pass the torch like The Police did for U2.

Well, if U2 fans were honest with themselves, they would say that Bono pulled a Chris Martin at the start of Breathe the other night on Letterman. And Winter? Hello? Really? That's not a song out of Coldplay's playbook?

Coldplay is influenced by U2 and they want to be where they are. U2 is not ready to surrender the throne. And judging by No Line, they shouldn't.

No one will ever win the argument U2 is better than Coldplay or Coldplay sucks more than U2.

And I love U2 and like Coldplay. I appreciate that Coldplay calls U2 one of their biggest influences, but I would never say Coldplay is better. U2 has been playing for 33 freaking years. When Coldplay has enjoyed that same career, maybe then we can talk.

Err, I don't think anyone here is saying that CP is in the same league as U2.

We were arguing about why people feel the need to mindlessly bash them.

That's the crux of it though. Some would say that CP is in the same league. A CP fan emailed me today and said that if CP were playing Fordham the whole place would be rocking.

It always comes back to that.

For whatever reason, these two bands cannot be discussed on their own merits.

No side will ever win. CP-only fans will always hate on U2 and U2-only fans will always hate on CP.

Life would be a lot better if each camp just appreciated their go-to band and left it that.

I think the CP fans have lost their argument, seeing as Chris Martin himself doesn't believe U2 are past it (see his acceptance speech at the Q mag awards).

And anyway it's a moot point in this discussion, seeing as this is a U2 forum, and you would be hard pressed to find people who would put both bands on the same level.

^^^^^ awesome.

I don't go on Fix You the studio version much (usually skip it), but it really is a completely different experience live.

I'm pretty sure Bono's done that before. :D I kinda like Coldplay but live he does always seem to be in pain singing. You don't get the feeling that he's singing comfortably a lot of the time.

That was pretty brave of Chris Martin. :D

Funny seeing the people chase after him, great entertainment.

:up:

I like Cold Play, not a fan, but I think it's an interesting band, but I can't figure up what's so fantastic about this performance, the song is a bore, Chris was singing awfully here and the run is just a way to emulate what Bono did during the first 10 years of his career, but without an objective, that's the problem with Chris, he emulates and that's ok, everybody does, but I always get the feeling he just doesn't understand what's the point of what he's trying to imitate.

I like Cold Play, not a fan, but I think it's an interesting band, but I can't figure up what's so fantastic about this performance, the song is a bore, Chris was singing awfully here and the run is just a way to emulate what Bono did during the first 10 years of his career, but without an objective, that's the problem with Chris, he emulates and that's ok, everybody does, but I always get the feeling he just doesn't understand what's the point of what he's trying to imitate.

For Fucks sake......I'm sure someone jumped into the crowd before Bono did.

Back
Top Bottom