Bono - " best 3 weeks in the studio since 1979"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think gvox was arguing what would constitute an anarchist
he was more suggesting these people aren't true anarchists (according to the proper definition), but more a bunch of posers labelling themselves anarchists

I tend to agree with the latter

Lets get one thing clear here,if interference members were deciding the setlist of U2 gigs,they wouldn't sold out an arena show,even.So to call this place a conservative fan base is indeed hilarious.

I don't think gvox was arguing what would constitute an anarchist
he was more suggesting these people aren't true anarchists (according to the proper definition), but more a bunch of posers labelling themselves anarchists

tumblr_ltrfk8ZWvE1r3s1g4o1_500.gif

tumblr_m4kt2pelyG1rr6p9yo2_250.gif

Beautiful Day is far superior to Always but Native Son isn't far inferior to Vertigo. Subjective, but I think most would agree. .

I think Always is fantastic. Great lyrics. I'd say the difference between Native Son and Vertigo is the difference between a crap song and a good song.

I think Always is fantastic. Great lyrics.

And you went on for pages about how crappy New York's lyrics were? :tsk: Always is so insipid...name one thing and then name an item associated with it. Recycle old lyrics. Safety belts. It sounds like U2's first foray into children's music, or perhaps some interactive "guess what lyric comes next" game.

Beautiful Day is leagues better.

And you went on for pages about how crappy New York's lyrics were? :tsk: Always is so insipid...name one thing and then name an item associated with it. Recycle old lyrics. Safety belts. It sounds like U2's first foray into children's music, or perhaps some interactive "guess what lyric comes next" game.

Beautiful Day is leagues better.

Yeah, Beautiful Day is a better song. That's hard to deny, but there are some great lyrics in Always:

Here today
And gone tomorrow
Crack the bone, get to the marrow
To be the bee
And the flower
Before the sweetness turns to sour

What we have we're gonna keep... always
What we've lost we don't need... always
What is it that won't let you sleep... always

Be the arrow
And the target
Put your head over the parapet
Be uncool
Yes, be awkward
And don't look in the obvious place
The soul needs beauty for a soul mate

Get down off your holy cloud... always
God will not deal with the proud... always
Well if you dream then dream out loud... always
Eternally yours... always

I want you
I want you
I want you

(Here she come)
Touching the other side
I wanted to be in love
I wanted to call
(Hey, soon soon)

You say come to know yourself... always
Don't find yourself in someone else... always
And always wear a safety belt... always
Wait for me I'm running late... always
This is the moment that we share... for always
Turn each song into a prayer... always

Now and forever
For always
For always
For always

Not sure how these lyrics would best be described as "name one thing and an object associated with it" or how naming a thing and an object associated with it would proclude having anything of depth to say, but whatever...:coocoo:

And you went on for pages about how crappy New York's lyrics were? .

Actually, I don't remember doing that. The point was obvious enough that no one asked me WHY I thought NY's lyrics were crap. The only extended point I made was not believing a poster who claimed he thought U2 had only 19 songs or less with lyrics as strong as New York. I found it implausible that anyone would claim to have that opinion.

I still do.

Well, I don't respect your opinion.
I just felt like it was rude.

It's too bad I couldn't edit a post 20 seconds after posting it.

Well, I don't respect your opinion.
I just felt like it was rude.

It's too bad I couldn't edit a post 20 seconds after posting it.

Yeah well that's great. It was rude, but doesn't trouble me in the slightest. It just reflects on you.

EDIT: Especially when you drop in on a thread you haven't posted in for pages, when I wasn't replying to you, and you make no argument, no point, but just show up to take the time to randomly tell me you don't respect my opinion. I guess I must have really upset you by posting the lyrics to Always, eh?

I love you too, sweetie pie. ;)

I believe ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both delivered to the label on or around the beginning of July. And they are creatures of habit. So if they are going to hit a fall 2012 release, they'd probably need to be done in the next 4-6 weeks. Not that I am holding my breath.

I just don't see what good another...year in the studio is going to do them.
Either these songs are good enough or they aren't.
God knows they have had enough material to pull from.

I think if we have to wait until 2013, it can only be a bad thing.

ETA -
I'm just saying - an idea is either good or it isn't. Trying to hammer it into the "perfect pop song" or whatever, sounds like a horrible idea. You can only contrive so much. Perfect pop songs should arrive, pretty much, as is. I'm not saying they didn't have to work long and hard on those kinds of songs in the past. But mostly, the hook is either there or it isn't. Beautiful Day is far superior to Always but Native Son isn't far inferior to Vertigo. Subjective, but I think most would agree.

So the line is tough to gauge. I just think they need to finally learn that long and labored studio sessions don't do them any good. The Joshua Tree came together (all those great songs, even the B0sides) in about six months. Zooropa took about 6 weeks. Now look at what years and years of toiling on North Star ended up being. Or other songs on HTDAAB, which took a century to complete. They never could get OOTS right (according to U2 themselves). I mean, They should have just abandoned North Star and left OOTS alone at some point.

This more than anything else, is THE major problem with U2 since Zooropa. Lack of confidence and inability to come to a consensus in the studio. If Bono means by "best 3 weeks since 1979" that there is little arguing going on and things are coming together, then that is awesome. Let's not get caught up in the specifics of it.

I thought with HTDAAB they had very little until Lillywhite came on board...and then they were done in a few months.

Zooropa was a fast record. But then again, it wasn't a typically laboured studio work. Like the rest of the post 80's U2 albums. And it takes longer in the 00's. That said...they don't appear to be working with Lillywhite/Eno/Lanois -a new producer (Danger Mouse) might push them into working faster.

I think everyone here needs to just take a step back and get down off their holy clouds. You know? Too many of us are trying to win arguments by putting ourselves in positions of vulnerability: you can't be the arrow AND the target. One thing I love about this board is that we can be cool and, yes, be awkward. Nothing lasts forever guys, it's here today and gone tomorrow. Don't just stick your head over the parapet to pour hot oil, you can learn from others views - don't look for them in the obvious places.

Eternally yours,
Dan

Always

Back
Top Bottom