Bono and The Edge ranked #35 on RS's 'Greatest 100 Songwriters' List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It annoys me how they rate Dylan at 1. Obviously melody is not a prerequisite for a great song according to these clowns, cos Dylan and the Stones would hardly be considered great in this area.

And any list without Neil Finn in it is total bs. Arguably the greatest songwriter of his generation.

Obviously melody is not a prerequisite for a great song according to these clowns, cos Dylan and the Stones would hardly be considered great in this area.

???
They've both written some of the most recognized melodies in pop music history...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There is a decent sized section of U2 at the End of the World analyzing whether it's really fair that the band splits their earnings evenly since Bono and Edge are the primary songwriters. I'm not sure how much more Adam and Larry contribute beyond what any other sit-in session musician contributes. Quite a few of Adam's riffs were written by Edge.

There is a decent sized section of U2 at the End of the World analyzing whether it's really fair that the band splits their earnings evenly since Bono and Edge are the primary songwriters. I'm not sure how much more Adam and Larry contribute beyond what any other sit-in session musician contributes. Quite a few of Adam's riffs were written by Edge.

I think it might be less about how much each member demonstrably contributes to a composition and more to do with how much each band member values the opinions and input of their bandmates.

But yeah, it does seem a little weird that the list solely credits Bono and the Edge when they've both mentioned how much stronger they are as a unit than taken apart.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using U2 Interference mobile app

He's/they're great. On ticket sales alone, they should be up there.

I love a couple of their newest songs. But I'm still hoping stuff like Crazy Easy, JTR, Loving Wings, Sugar Will, Shotgun, The Idea of You and A Dream So Real make an album someday.

And it's still surreal he's played Let You Down this year after an 18 year absence.

Spoken like a fellow Ant on a U2 message board! Agreed on all points!

I challenge anybody who THINKS they know about DMB to listen to the "Before these crowded streets" album in its entirety. You won't know what hit ya!

I challenge anybody who THINKS they know about DMB to listen to the "Before these crowded streets" album in its entirety. You won't know what hit ya!

Presumptuous often? :scratch:

Dave is a song writing master and what he comes up with on an acoustic guitar is amazing. Nobody else comes up with those riffs. Great songs he writes.

U2 wrote Miami.

Are you the one who writes that on youtube u2 videos? I actually took a page out of your book and write 'The View feeds misogynists' on every View video I come across.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Yup.... That was pretty fucking bad song writing ?

Also, I only liked that song because of the drumming

Last edited:
It annoys me how they rate Dylan at 1. Obviously melody is not a prerequisite for a great song according to these clowns
ShakingHead.gif

The thing that annoys me is when people think Dylan is only good at words. Nonsense! He's one of the best writers of melody, ever.

Examples (mostly not Dylan's own versions, as they're all constantly pulled from YouTube):
- Blowin' in the Wind (by P, P, & M):

- Oxford Town:
https://vialogues.com/vialogues/play/5803/
- When the Ship Comes In:

- Paths of Victory (by The Byrds):

- It Ain't Me Babe:

- Mama, You've Been on my Mind (by George Harrison):

- Love Minus Zero / No Limit:
https://vimeo.com/55915669
- Mr. Tambourine Man:
https://vimeo.com/64904508
- It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (by Them/Van Morrison):
- YouTube
- I'll Keep it With Mine (by Rainy Day/Susanna Hoffs):
Rainy Day - I'll Keep It with Mine
- If You Gotta Go, Go Now (by Manfred Mann):
Manfred Mann - If you gotta go, go now (1965)
- Farewell, Angelina (by Joan Baez):
Joan Baez - Farewell Angelina
- Like a Rolling Stone:
Rolling-Stone
- Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (by Nina Simone):
Nina Simone ''Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues''
- Desolation Row:
Desolation Row
- I Want You:
https://vimeo.com/128707624
- Just Like a Woman (no idea who this is -- nice version though!):
https://vimeo.com/75429314
- 4th Time Around:
https://vimeo.com/29172870
- Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands (by Joan Baez):
Joan Baez : Sad-Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
- You Ain't Going Nowhere (by The Byrds):
The Byrds "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"
- I Shall Be Released (by Nina Simone):
Nina Simone - I Shall Be Released
- The Mighty Quinn (by Manfred Mann):
Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn
- I'll Be Your Baby Tonight:
Bob Dylan - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (1967) - Video Dailymotion

And those are all written between 1962 and 1967, and the list skips many of his most famous songs. I think the dude has enough good melodies.

And any list without Neil Finn in it is total bs. Arguably the greatest songwriter of his generation.
I'm a bit interested in knowing more of Neil Finn's stuff. Could you recommend a handful of his better songs, from any era, to me?

I'm glad someone came in and completely annihilated that post.

There are few songs with melodies more engaging than Blowin' in the Wind, Mr. Tambourine Man, Tangled Up In Blue, Shelter From the Storm, etc. etc.

Last edited:
You're not helping yourself. :facepalm:

Thanks Beavis

It's too bad you don't like the song. You're missing out on some great music

Last edited:
The problem is that The Bono and Edge should be number one. Everyone else is talentless scum.

[QUOTE

I'm a bit interested in knowing more of Neil Finn's stuff. Could you recommend a handful of his better songs, from any era, to me?[/QUOTE]

Listen to Together Alone, which is a Crowded House album. Neil wrote most of those songs. If you like that, then try his solo albums and I would recommend "Try Whistling This" to start of with. Woodface is another great Crowded House album.

Ridiculous they've counted Jagger/Richards together but not Lennon/McCartney. In 1500 years all that'll remain from this era's music is Ode to Joy and She Loves You, pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom