Bono and "Pick it up"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
Going through a bunch of live performances of songs on my iPod, something is really annoying me.

Can someone take Bono aside and tell him he needs to retire this little phrase of his from live performances? :|

I can't remember all of them, but off-hand...

"One Tree Hill" - Live at the Point Depot
"The Electric Co." - Under the Blood Red Sky

My memory's bad, so I can't remember anymore. :reject: But I know there's many more cause it's something that sticks out at me from having most of their publicly available live recordings on my iPod.

Did you find any recent evidence of him doing this? I'd say if you only heard him doing it from 80s shows, he's already "retired" it.

I'd like him to retire his little shout-outs to whatever celebrities are in the show that night. Dude, you're messing up our bootlegs!

Did you find any recent evidence of him doing this? I'd say if you only heard him doing it from 80s shows, he's already "retired" it.

Good point. I'll have to go back to one of the recent DVDs to verify this.

I'd like him to retire his little shout-outs to whatever celebrities are in the show that night. Dude, you're messing up our bootlegs!

Hey, he's giving the bootlegs a time/place-stamp. :lol:

The Point Depot performance is the one officially released on The Complete U2 - the New Year's Eve performance, not the show from the 30th. As for "Electric Co.", that just might be my ears deceiving me.

Oh yeah I forgot there were two nights, they didn't have that one on youtube.

I do remember Bono using "tear it up" a few times in UTEOTW.

A likely explanation would be that he means that they are dragging the tempo and want them to get it up to speed.

Very likely, that's what I was thinking. But I would think Bono would want to signal Adam and Larry in some other way... in a way that perhaps isn't recorded in the show's audio. :)

in some other way... in a way that perhaps isn't recorded in the show's audio. :)

It could be worse, Britney has been caught saying a few unfortunate things on mic during this current tour. One night, I guess she thought her mic was off and made a comment about her woman bits to the whole stadium...:lol:

It could be worse, Britney has been caught saying a few unfortunate things on mic during this current tour. One night, I guess she thought her mic was off and made a comment about her woman bits to the whole stadium...:lol:

Yeah, cause when you're a pop star up on stage, the last thing that should happen is that YOUR MIC IS ON. :applaud:

Without a doubt, its is ANNOYING! Hey I was there too, how about a shout out to me? :wink:

Oh yeah I forgot there were two nights, they didn't have that one on youtube.

There were four nights: 26, 27, 30, 31 December 1989. (And a fifth was originally scheduled for the 29th but never went on sale.) The 26/12/89 performance of OTH is the one I keep harping on about.

As for the thread topic, I've spotted variations on this phrase here and there over bootlegs, but it's never bothered me. I've never really thought about it. Sometimes it's to amp up the crowd, sometimes it's clearly an instruction to the crew.

I have to agree with Y2K, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is getting annoyed with it. Actually, I never noticed it in the old performances, but he does at seemingly every single gig of the 2000s, at certain moments such as when Edge plays a solo or something. I wouldn't mind it if it were functional, but Bono does it as a bit of pantomime; he goes off camera and yells at the audience as he starts jumping up and down. Frankly, it just looks silly. Maybe the eye-shadow will now cancel it.

Back
Top Bottom