Bono and Edge play with BB King: When love comes to town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you.

And Peter, I hope you're right about Bono's voice.

But then again, I'm a little scared of him over-straining it again.

I havent heard him overstraining his voice nearly at all from 2004 till now.
Rock N Roll ****** snippet is the only one I remember :)
And thats whats make him more safe now, he use more techniques to hit the notes clear. He has learned how to use his voice correctly. If he had strained, overuse and hadnt use techniques last tour on Vertgio tour his voice hadnt devolope for each leg. Instead it would a been worse for each year, just like in the 90's.

The good thing is he knows more about taking care of his voice now, and he probably won't attempt notes like that on each night. If they play stadiums and/or have longer breaks between each leg it would be easier on him too.

hi all,

I was there on Sunday, I was part of the production crew working on the taping, I will keep you all posted about its air dates as I am also a part of the post process on it.

All I can say is that watching them rehearse that song with BB early on was one of the greatest things I have ever seen. You could see how much fun Edge and Bono were having, it was very apparent. BB was also having a great time. It was truly a once in a lifetime kinda thing and everyone there knew it... by the end of the rehearsal the entire stage was ringed by incredible musicians all watching and listening. Herbie Hancock was playing piano, wayne shorter was playing in the horn section. It was unbelievable.

I will post back when I know more about the airing... you will all want to see it!

Any news about the airing? :)

No word yet on airing, we are actually just getting started on the post, and it will take a couple weeks for the post to be completed. If I had to guess I would say some time in December or January, but that is just a guess.

I did however cut the U2 segment first and I sent a quicktime of it to U2.com because all they currently have is that youtube clip, maybe they will put it up on their site and replace the youtube clip with the one I sent, which has the mixed board audio and a 5 camera cut. So keep looking at U2.com to see if they post it.

db

No word yet on airing, we are actually just getting started on the post, and it will take a couple weeks for the post to be completed. If I had to guess I would say some time in December or January, but that is just a guess.

I did however cut the U2 segment first and I sent a quicktime of it to U2.com because all they currently have is that youtube clip, maybe they will put it up on their site and replace the youtube clip with the one I sent, which has the mixed board audio and a 5 camera cut. So keep looking at U2.com to see if they post it.

db

Great! Thanks!
Where Let The Good Times Roll recorded send to U2.com? :)

Just like Jonny Cash, I got to know BB through U2. There was something on about the blue's on TV a few weeks ago and I never realized he was such a well respected musician. I love the rawness and the honesty and the lack of any attempt to 'beautify' the voice. Most of them (including BB, Ma Rainey, Dinah Washington, etc) did not have a beautiful timbre (in the aesthetic sense) so they used a to create a lot of interesting sounds in order to convince us of their honesty. But that is the blues it's not rock music.

I was listening to something about Little Richard on the radio today. He was one of the first rockers who never sang 'correctly' and I'm sure many vocal coaches wouldn't tolerate with his style. But many artists from Elvis to the Beatles have all said how much a debt they owe to him. Elvis said himself that Little Richard was the real king of Rock'n'roll. I just feel that the fact he was black in segregated America prevented him from gaining the true recognition he deserved. I know that rock music did take a lot of it's rawness from the Blues and in the early days it was known as the 'jump blues'. But rock has evolved and developed it's own style since then.

I think Bono has a prettier voice than BB but that doesn't mean I don't think he isn't a great singer, just different. He will never sound like he did in 84 or ZooTv? Great because I COULD NOT STAND HIS VOICE live around this time. Have you watched Angel Of Harlem on the Sydney DVD of the ZooTv tour? How comes he never sang the "angeeeel' part properly? I much prefered the 2001 Slane version. And there were many other examples from that show. All Along The Watchtower on R&H, I cannot even listen to it all the way through that's how much I hate his singing on it. The grunting during 84:yuck: The same for Bullet The Blue Sky on JT. That type of singing does not suit his voice any more than BB King trying to sing like Whitney Houstan would suit his voice. I like the Afican group called Ladysmith Blackmambazo, that doesn't mean I want to hear Bono trying to sing like them.

Anyway, isn't belting supposed to be really bad for your voice? If he sang Pride every night exactly like he did in the studio he'd lose his voice. Is that what you want?

Just like Jonny Cash, I got to know BB through U2. There was something on about the blue's on TV a few weeks ago and I never realized he was such a well respected musician. I love the rawness and the honesty and the lack of any attempt to 'beautify' the voice. Most of them (including BB, Ma Rainey, Dinah Washington, etc) did not have a beautiful timbre (in the aesthetic sense) so they used a to create a lot of interesting sounds in order to convince us of their honesty. But that is the blues it's not rock music.

I was listening to something about Little Richard on the radio today. He was one of the first rockers who never sang 'correctly' and I'm sure many vocal coaches wouldn't tolerate with his style. But many artists from Elvis to the Beatles have all said how much a debt they owe to him. Elvis said himself that Little Richard was the real king of Rock'n'roll. I just feel that the fact he was black in segregated America prevented him from gaining the true recognition he deserved. I know that rock music did take a lot of it's rawness from the Blues and in the early days it was known as the 'jump blues'. But rock has evolved and developed it's own style since then.

I think Bono has a prettier voice than BB but that doesn't mean I don't think he isn't a great singer, just different. He will never sound like he did in 84 or ZooTv? Great because I COULD NOT STAND HIS VOICE live around this time. Have you watched Angel Of Harlem on the Sydney DVD of the ZooTv tour? How comes he never sang the "angeeeel' part properly? I much prefered the 2001 Slane version. And there were many other examples from that show. All Along The Watchtower on R&H, I cannot even listen to it all the way through that's how much I hate his singing on it. The grunting during 84:yuck: The same for Bullet The Blue Sky on JT. That type of singing does not suit his voice any more than BB King trying to sing like Whitney Houstan would suit his voice. I like the Afican group called Ladysmith Blackmambazo, that doesn't mean I want to hear Bono trying to sing like them.

Anyway, isn't belting supposed to be really bad for your voice? If he sang Pride every night exactly like he did in the studio he'd lose his voice. Is that what you want?

Bono's voice in 84-ish was his 'prime' in the sense that he never match that raw power. The Unforgettable Fire was probably his best album in that sense. By the time the JT tour came around, he basically fried his voice, and I consider that his second worst era, after attyclub (worse than PopMart). There were a lot of really raw vocal cuts on JT (see: Streets, One Tree Hill) that sound really cool, but he didn't have his 1984 range, or falsetto, or much else beyond a pretty-sounding voice in the lower register. It was all screaming and "kermitting".

Lovetown, I think Bono just stopped even trying to restrain himself. He screamed the whole time. And he damn near killed hiimself doing it... his voice sounded really good some nights, again, more in lower registers than higher ones (see: the Point Depot nights). I've heard rumours that the reason soundboard boots of those four nights leaked out in the first place is because they circulated to a doctor (or more than one doctor) for vocal advice, and the doctor told Bono to stop singing that way.

During Achtung and Zoo TV, Bono tried and succeeded in conserving his vocal energy. I personally think his voice sounded amazing, on most material. 90s material was, of course, great, as it was made for that voice. Some 80s material made the transition well (Streets has never sounded bad, RTSS and BTBS were amazing, NYD was fine, the 'new version' of Desire was pretty good, et cetera)... a lot sounded like crap (Angel of Harlem is, as you mentioned, probably the most glaring example). His uber-falsetto-skillz helped a bit, and he did have some nice unrestrained vocal moments (there were some really good Zoo TV Bad performances... most notably, IMO, the last RDS night), but a lot of 80s material suffered from not being sung the way Bono sang them in the 80s.

However, he blew his voice out again. Overuse (I think) and smoking (WHY, Bono?) made his voice go downhill each year... PopMart Bono was totally unrecognizable compared to Zoo Bono. Elevation was more of the same, but he had good vocal control, was starting to learn some good vocal techniques, and there were some really cool moments (most notably, Streets at Slane).

The 2003 recording sessions showcased some nice Bono work... Electrical Storm was nice. Hutdab was an improvement over attyclub, but not as good as the 2003 sessions. Vertigo was basically up and up the entire time, with highlights being at the beginning of the third and end of the fifth legs. Opera lessons helped a lot, and Bono's practicing much better vocal techniques now. He can hit high notes with 1984-esque-ease, and sound great in the lower registers... hopefully it'll be a treat for us in years to come.

He surely has a more melodic voice now, better technique. Almost everything he's done in recent years shows a clear improvement of his singing, even the beach clips, despite the bad quality. I'm looking forward to some really great vocals by Bono on the new album and the next tour.

I liked the restraint on Zoo TV compared to the 80's. Angel of Harlem (and pretty much anything off Rattle and Hum on that tour) is a good example of that. I prefer that to the roaring version on Lovetown.

I know that technically he is a better singer now, but the raw power and emotion is his voice 83-89 was one of the major reasons I became a U2 fanatic and I will always prefer it. Of course that couldn't last forever and he has adapted his voice brilliantly.

I loved how unrestrained he was with his voice on the Lovetown tour, it produced some spectacular moments. He obviously knew he had the capabilities and wanted to show them off, as An Cat Gav said, it couldn't last forever, but atleast we'll always have that tour.

Maybe he did over-sing a bit, but I'd much rather hear the passionate, full-bloodied efforts of the late eighties than the croaky and strained endeavours of the Popmart/Elevation era.

Maybe he did over-sing a bit, but I'd much rather hear the passionate, full-bloodied efforts of the late eighties than the croaky and strained endeavours of the Popmart/Elevation era.

If we talk full bloodied voice, screams arent near the power of his voice in the beginning of Streets from Slane, "L'amoure" in Ms, "Sing" in SYCMIOYO, "Man" verse on Kite(Vertigo tour), "You" in AIWIY(Buneos Aires Vertigo tour)... The screams emotion isnt near the emotion of these I wrote. Bono is a far more passionate singer these days.

LOL bono a passionate singer these days lol
that clip i just posted proves how much power and control he had in the 80s and 90s. ps that yell he did during streets(slane) is not music, its the equivalent of some random guy yelling at his wife.he was loud yes but musical No.

:eyebrow:

Passionate singing doesn't necessarily have to do with shouting everything out. Bono was mostly screaming in the 80s, not singing. As a singer, he's better today. His voice certainly had more power and volume back in the 80s.

I think some people don't know much about singing, still chose to judge Bono only based on their personal preferences.

WHAT. have you heard bono's new take on (do they know its christmas)
he re-did it and it sounds so piss poor. because he does not have the voice to belt out that line like he use to in the 80s. hell he cant even sing WOWY anymore.not to mention u2 will never play Lemon live because of bono's voice.

see thats what you don't understand. bono's 80s screams were melodic, they were actual notes. take Pride or Bad. all powerful melodic vocals.
i don't even own any new u2 dvds because i cant stand bono's recent voice.
(which sounds like a 100 year old chain smoker)

From what I can remember Bono was very reluctant to sing the 'Tonight thank God its them' line on the more recent version of DTKIC, I think Geldof wanted him to belt it out like he did on the original but Bono said he couldn't because he'd been through too much, so in the end he went for a far more restrained take on the whole thing. Personally I'd choose the original version every time.

I still think Bono's a great singer though, his work of the 5th leg of the Vertigo tour proves that. IMO his vocal on that rendition of Kite from Sydney is perhaps his best of the 2000's, its right up there with the very best performances from the eighties and early nineties. The eighties voice will always be my favourite, but I think the progress he's made over the last few years is pretty impressive.

see thats what you don't understand. bono's 80s screams were melodic, they were actual notes. take Pride or Bad. all powerful melodic vocals.

Yes, notes he warent able to hold live back in the 80's and 90s. Have you heard him nail the chours on Pride in the 80's hold, he did it in shows on Vertigo tour. He did succeed hitting Wide Awake in 84,85,86... 87-2001: NO.
Wide Awake was hit many times on Vertigo tour.

WHAT. have you heard bono's new take on (do they know its christmas)

New take? It was from 2004 and now is 2008

Follow has happend after 2004:
Bono voice has got stronger for each year, wich is proven:

2007, London: Bono belts the line "Leeeeeeeeet You Go" in Desire stronger then any other performence from the 80s

2008 october: Bono show an enourmos strenght and belts out "Leeeeeeeeeeeet the good times roll" with the same sound he used in the 80's.

He still got the power and screams, but he is smart enough to not use it all the time.
I was looking at the Paris Jt dvd and all he did was scream and scream. Now Bono use it sometimes, wich makes it more special, instead of the 80's when it went monotonous.

From what I can remember Bono was very reluctant to sing the 'Tonight thank God its them' line on the more recent version of DTKIC, I think Geldof wanted him to belt it out like he did on the original but Bono said he couldn't because he'd been through too much, so in the end he went for a far more restrained take on the whole thing. Personally I'd choose the original version every time.

Personally I wish Bono had roared it out, just to show that he still can when he feels like it.

I've never heard the new version, since the original version is hard enough to listen to.

But I believe Bono could still do it today. It's only one single line anyway.

i don't even own any new u2 dvds because i cant stand bono's recent voice.
(which sounds like a 100 year old chain smoker)

Umm....I guess you haven't heard ANY versions of Bad from the Vertigo Tour.....and what on earth are you talking about regarding that Slane performance of Streets....that's not musical? It's downright haunting how beautiful that scream is at certain points....

YouTube - U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle

..............and you're telling me that intro isn't musical? Speaking of screams, it's one of the most epic, spine-tingling screams Bono has ever done

LOL bono a passionate singer these days lol
that clip i just posted proves how much power and control he had in the 80s and 90s. ps that yell he did during streets(slane) is not music, its the equivalent of some random guy yelling at his wife.he was loud yes but musical No.

oh yeah, one other thing....that Slane performance, shaun, is one of the most passionate performances ever by Bono...in fact, just watch WOWY Boston...that's not passion? Just watch any SYCMIOYO performance, or any Miss Sarejevo performance.....And I don't know about you, but I'd rather hear Bono belt out the line "in the name of love" and hold the note like he did for the majority of the Vertigo Tour instead of lazily scream it, and ruin the flow of that line created in the studio version, like he did for much of the 80's and 90's...

These songs/performances I mention are only the beginning...

Also....you do realize that Bono wasn't even capable of singing a song like SYCMIOYO or Miss Sarejevo back in the 80's.....it's an entirely new addition to Bono's repertoire...

Lastly, going back to powerful singing....have you heard Union Chapel version of Stay? That's one of the more powerful versions of that song....I don't know how you could argue otherwise...and I really don't know how you expect to be taken seriously when you compare that moment at Slane Castle to "some random guy yelling at his wife"........seriously, what's the point?

I would like to tell those fans who think Bono's smoking was the cause of his voice problems that it's not necessarily so, smoking is not good, I wouldn't say that, of course, but some singers, even opera singers, warm up their vocal chords with a cigarrette or putting a lit match inside their mouth (do you remember the UF recording video?) and anyway this kind of problems appear in people who have never smoked a single fag.
These problems are most usually caused by the way you breath, you don't close your vocal chords properly or your nasal duct is obstructed to a certain degree (people usually talk about a nasal voice) and it increments the friction. If you are a singer, or a teacher, you must learn a good breathing and imposting technique, so you don't damage your chords trying to speak or sing aloud for a long time and, in the case of singers, trying to hit a certain note which is slightly above their normal range, of course speaking or singing with a laringitis is absolutely forbidden.
Bono didn't have any formal training before starting to sing professionally, he started to have it before UF and his evolution can be easily heard, but maybe he or his trainers became too focused on the rendition of extremely dificult notes, it would have been alright had he had a "normal" singer carreer; most singers sing for ten, fifteen years and then retire, if that would have been the case it would have been fine, but it was not, he's been singing for nearly 30 years now, and not only that, he's been singing in all kind of weather (Red Rocks!) and he's been quite often singing with a laringitis, that's a serious mistake. Singing in his conditions during part of Popmart and all of Elevation Tours were serious mistakes, I can figure up his reasons, but they were big mistakes nevertheless.
What I find really amazing is his recovery, when a guitar sounds bad, you just throw it away and buy a new one, but when a part of your body has been damaged, you cannot replace it, I find his recovery almost a miracle, I think he's very careful with his voice now and we are watching a better singer from many points of view, his rendition of old songs are poweful and he conveys even more feeling in his voice than in the 80s; but, ok, we have to admit his voice is not exactly the same as it used to be, the colour has changed slightly and new characteristics have appeared, may be that's what some people complain about, I may be wrong, but I think there's nothing to be done, this is due to age and the strain it has been under.
I personally like his "new" voice as much as the old one and I prefer the way he sings some old songs now, I almost always skip "Pride" (studio version) just because it makes me think in the pain such a way of singing might cause in my throat.

Back
Top Bottom