Biggest WTF reactions to your favourite U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musikwala

War Child
What are some incomprehensible reactions that you have heard from friends or family regarding your absolute favourite U2 songs?

Over the weekend I was listening to Zooropa in the car. While Stay (Faraway, So Close!) was playing, my wife goes "uh.. do you like this song?..." and I say "yes it's my number 1 or number 2 favourite of theirs" and she says "Really?? It is soooooo boring." :| Then she went on to say that she is not of fan of Bono's slow yearning vocal thing he does in many of their songs.

Then I thought about it a bit and realized that albums or songs that you hold dear for years and years just may not seem that special to others. With Zooropa I think you had to have been there at the time in 1993 when the music videos started showing up on MTV. I grew up watching those videos for Stay, Numb and Lemon. I could never find those songs boring, ever! But it's so different for different people.

*listening to U2 at home while cleaning, wife comes home. Unforgettable Fire (the song) is just starting*

*click click click click "oh shit"*

Wife: "oh Vertigo, I really like this song"

Me: :|

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

ETA: she is now my ex-wife.

I was 15 when Pop was released. After indulging in a third consecutive play of Mofo at high volume (sheer bliss), one of the neighbors came knocking. "Could you stop playing that noise. It's giving me a headache."

I was 15 when Pop was released. After indulging in a third consecutive play of Mofo at high volume (sheer bliss), one of the neighbors came knocking. "Could you stop playing that noise. It's giving me a headache."

That's not really a WTF moment... Your neighbor blasting the same song over and over again is a pretty reasonable thing to be annoyed by

Intro to Streets takes too long for people to get in... everybody's always bored.

Then again, my mates hate U2 because I like them so I'll get a shite reaction every time I listen to them near them.

Telling me to turn them off completely. I just don't get the idea that some people no matter how hard you try to subliminally get them to listen to U2 have no interest in the music.

I gave up long ago trying to make people fans though.

some people no matter how hard you try to subliminally get them to listen to U2 have no interest in the music.

I gave up long ago trying to make people fans though.

Have you tried taking their iPhones and sneakily download them some albums? Maybe if U2 suddenly appears in their playlists they'll start liking it.

What are some incomprehensible reactions that you have heard from friends or family regarding your absolute favourite U2 songs?

Only in here.
Some people eagerly hating and dismissing Elvis Presley And America as one of U2's worst tracks ever.
:sad:

I usually don't listen to U2 around other people. I listen to them in secret, like an alcoholic who drinks alone.

Only in here.

Some people eagerly hating and dismissing Elvis Presley And America as one of U2's worst tracks ever.

:sad:

:yes: That's because it sucks.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

U2's music isnt meant to be background filler as most music is. None the less I believe there is a lot of closet U2 fans out there, that say they hate them but then when the concert comes to town you see them there and wonder why.

I thought you hated U2 - why are you here?

Happened to me on many occasions.

Most music in popular culture where U2 want to be is absolutely intended to be background filler - go listen to top 40 radio every day then youlle see why U2 arent being talked about anymore.

Top 40 radio in the 80s and 90s was at least listenable, now its absolute trash.

I think some of you are not getting the concept of this thread...

Yeah :scratch: People, I'm just asking what are some weird reactions that your loved ones/friends/family gave to your most beloved U2 songs.

I'm with Headache (the poster) on this one. Somebody blaring their music for everybody else in the world to listen as well is incredibly annoying. I absolutely cringe when I see idiots rolling down their car windows and blasting their music at an obscene volume. What, are you trying to get approval from others and look cool or something?? :coocoo:

Used to air guitar on my bed when I was a little girl to Sunday Bloody Sunday. :rockon:

I don't get you. I'm asking about any weird reactions you got from others regarding your fav songs.

It's why I don't play U2 music to friends.

So you haven't heard a single mind-boggling comment from anybody else about your fav songs?

My gf listening to The Troubles with disdain and saying 'this does nothing for me'.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

This is not exactly on topic either but close:

2009- Mom- "what concert are you going to?"
Me-"U2"
Mom-"Oh that bunch of black guys"

So you haven't heard a single mind-boggling comment from anybody else about your fav songs?

No mind-boggling ones, no, just fucking stupid and ignorant ones.

The ones that annoy me the most are when I play a song that I fucking adore and the response is like "yeah sounds good so what have you been up to lately?" it's like who gives a fuck what's happening in my life appreciate the goddamn magic going on right now.

Back
Top Bottom