Biggest WTF reactions to your favourite U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
r1wxPzh.jpg

gvox, you've posted that in two threads (at least that I've seen). Are we supposed to know who the fuck that is?

G, that would be so much more effective with a caption. As it is, I'm just wondering if it's David Tennant in a role I don't recognize.

I also don't understand the hate for Grace, One Step Closer, and White as Snow. They're beautiful and atmospheric, unless you have ADHD and can't sit still long enough to actually listen to them.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

WAS has a dynamic in it, with the horns section and such.

Grace has nothing of interest, it meanders on and bores me to tears.

OSC is okay though, it does have nice drums.

I also don't understand the hate for Grace, One Step Closer, and White as Snow. They're beautiful and atmospheric, unless you have ADHD and can't sit still long enough to actually listen to them.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I think that they're very different songs.

What As Snow is a masterpiece.

One Step Closer is alright.

Grace is incredibly uninteresting.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes these 3 songs are nice subtle,intimate pieces of music, I like them. i even like White as Snow, but I cannot fully consider it as U2 song, it is traditional rendition.

One Step Closer would probably be my second favourite song off hutdab if I ever bothered to listen to the album again, which is unlikely.

I also quite like Grace. I think if you just take it for what it is it's a really nice song. It probably also helps that I consider Ground Beneath Her Feet to be the closing track on ATYCLB.

I never liked White as Snow all that much. I feel like it's symptomatic of the malaise that has hit U2 in the past six years... trying a fraction too hard and not quite pulling it off.

What does having GBHF on ATYCLB make Grace any better? It's the final track on my album as well, yet it doesn't make me fall asleep any less when I listen to Grace before it.

well, for starters, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall was based off "Lord Randall", that's where the "Where Have you Been?" motif comes from. It basically takes the structure of that song and adds to it.

Girl From The North Country is based off an arrangement of "Scarborough Fair"

When The Ship Comes In, although not very obvious, is inspired by "Pirate Jenny"

Ballad in Plain D comes from "I Once Loved A Lass"

"Blowing iN THe Wind" - the song that put him on the map, takes it's verse melody from "No More Auction Block"

Anyway, as for U2 taking Veni Veni Emmanuel...it's a beautiful melody and they make it their own. I don't think just ANYONE can do that. It takes creativity and skill. So I wouldn't knock them for that. It doesn't make it any less of a song.

Some of Dylan's most famous songs are based off folk songs.

And to be fair, just about every artist out there has had at least some of their work inspired by something before that. Another song, artist, certain sound, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom