Biggest Improvement from the Studio to the Stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollow Island

New Yorker
What songs do you think U2 improved most on the stage? Almost all of their songs are better live, but some improved more than others.

Here are mine:

11 O'clock Tick Tock. Martin Hannett's production really didn't suit U2 at all, which is kind of funny given how similar they were structurally to Joy Division. Maybe that's why it didn't work: he gave them the JD treatment and it made U2 sound leaden and weak. Live the song is one of their best ever though. It flies.

A Day Without Me: The song sounds weak (again) on Boy. By Red Rocks, it had serious bounce and power.

Electric Co.: decent on record, monstrous live.

Love Is Blindness: maybe just because Bono doesn't sing over the solo, and Edge stretches it out.

Magnificent: doesn't go anywhere on the album, but they rectified that with the new version.

Silver & Gold: the original isn't U2, but it sounds half finished compared to the perfect, ferocious slice of groove rock U2 played in the late 80s.

it isn't?

Most improved to me is Please

It's Bono, Kieth Richards, and Ron Wood.

I forgot about Please but for me it's more of a lateral development than straight improvement, like Bad. I love live and studio versions equally.

Lots of them.

I guess the biggest improvement would be Miami (yes, U2 wrote it), which is not that good in the studio but is excellent live.

U2 is one of those rare bands where actual new lyrics and crucial guitar parts get added live. Some of these examples have those aspects:

Mysterious Ways, Bullet the Blue Sky, Love is Blindness, Dirty Day, Exit, Bad, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Last Night on Earth, Please, Kite, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Desire, Hawkmoon 269... The list goes on and on.

Almost all of Songs of Innocence sounds better to me live.

The Miracle - that opening guitar riff punches you in the fucking face, and larry comes in with more wild, aggressive drumming; the whole composition is more alive. Edge also uses his 'shimmer' effect during the drop chorus, which i love.

Iris - Bono singing "hold me close" is so much more powerful on stage. I can really get a sense of sorrow and desperation that was too 'tidy' on the actual album. Edges harmonics in the intro and outro are really beautiful as well, and may be my favourite part of the song.

Cedarwood road - this benefits most live simply from having better sound. As with u2 playing live in general, the drums, bass, guitar are all heavier, chunkier, and that's the sound that this sort of song really deserves. They also got rid of that acoustic guitar layer, which i thought did nothing but dampen and weaken the song, although i kind of get what they were going for.

On the album, there are so many layers and levels or production (i don't actually know what causes it, but this is my guess) that the overall sound is too light. I want to really feel the drums and bass kicking in, and i can really hear that when they play these songs live.

Ones that didn't quite get there for me:

California - for the most part sounds good, but whatever Edge is doing during the chorus kills the momentum of the song for me.

Crystal Ballroom - my favourite part of this on the album was the electronic, serrated bass sound playing during the chorus, which i can't hear live. Without it, the song just deflates.

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder if what the band have been saying about Song of Experience (assuming that it does come out), that it will be rougher and less shiny and produced than SoI, will actually happen. Would be great to have a U2 album where all the instruments sound really bold, like they do live.

Mofo, Streets, UTEOTW, Gone jump to mind immediately. Most of the new album songs they play live I enjoyed far more than their album counterparts, The Miracle, Iris (big time!), Cedarwood and Raised By Wolves all sounded better.

All of the above. When I first saw the thread title, I immediately thought of Zoo Station. Damn, that song really improved live (even when the studio version is great too).

Last edited:
Cedarwood road - this benefits most live simply from having better sound. As with u2 playing live in general, the drums, bass, guitar are all heavier, chunkier, and that's the sound that this sort of song really deserves. They also got rid of that acoustic guitar layer, which i thought did nothing but dampen and weaken the song, although i kind of get what they were going for.

On the album, there are so many layers and levels or production (i don't actually know what causes it, but this is my guess) that the overall sound is too light. I want to really feel the drums and bass kicking in, and i can really hear that when they play these songs live.

...Would be great to have a U2 album where all the instruments sound really bold, like they do live.

Totally agree about U2 making an album where the instruments all sound bold and clear. I forgot about how much better Cedarwood Road is live. It's heavier and you can hear all the instruments - there's space for them to do their job. SOI is generally overly arranged (even though there's not much going on) and does sound kind of weak. They smother the songs in synths that don't do anything but smother the songs. I still love the album though.

Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop all have a lot more going on musically but they still hit pretty hard, and you can hear all the details. SOI is kind of mushy. I wish U2 would us the production style of War as the template for their basic rock songs. They really got it right there. Raised By Wolves, Volcano, the Miracle, TIWYCRMN would all sound so much better if they sounded like War songs.

Anyway, SOI probably benefits more from the stage than any of their other albums over all.

What songs do you think U2 improved most on the stage? Almost all of their songs are better live, but some improved more than others.

Here are mine:

11 O'clock Tick Tock. Martin Hannett's production really didn't suit U2 at all, which is kind of funny given how similar they were structurally to Joy Division. Maybe that's why it didn't work: he gave them the JD treatment and it made U2 sound leaden and weak. Live the song is one of their best ever though. It flies.

A Day Without Me: The song sounds weak (again) on Boy. By Red Rocks, it had serious bounce and power.

Electric Co.: decent on record, monstrous live.

Love Is Blindness: maybe just because Bono doesn't sing over the solo, and Edge stretches it out.

Magnificent: doesn't go anywhere on the album, but they rectified that with the new version.

Silver & Gold: the original isn't U2, but it sounds half finished compared to the perfect, ferocious slice of groove rock U2 played in the late 80s.

Isn't there two studio versions of Silver & Gold... The Keith Richards, Ron Wood version... The a U2 studio version?
If you have never read about how the Bono, Keith Richards, Ron Wood version came about, look it up. Great story.

Yeah, it's a great story.

I didn't know U2 recorded it. I thought the version on 80-90 was the Sun City recording.

Lots of them.

I guess the biggest improvement would be Miami (yes, U2 wrote it), which is not that good in the studio but is excellent live.

U2 is one of those rare bands where actual new lyrics and crucial guitar parts get added live. Some of these examples have those aspects:

Mysterious Ways, Bullet the Blue Sky, Love is Blindness, Dirty Day, Exit, Bad, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Last Night on Earth, Please, Kite, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, Desire, Hawkmoon 269... The list goes on and on.

:up:

My top ones are Kite, Please, and 11 O Clock Tick Tock.
Kite on Vertigo is my favorite Edge solo of all time.
Please was so much more intense live and Bono's battle cry is amazing before launching into Streets.
11 O Clock is so much greater than the studio version.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
To go with a non traditional choice, I'll pick Love and Peace Or Else.

I despised the song on the album. It was fun as hell live, something I didn't see coming whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-N920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Blech, it was even worse live, if only because I had to watch them lie to themselves by performing that song as though it wasn't terrible in every way.

Blech, it was even worse live, if only because I had to watch them lie to themselves by performing that song as though it wasn't terrible in every way.

I thought it lacked any punch live. At least it's sonically and instrumentally decent on the album. The live version doesn't bottle any of that energy.

Totally agree about U2 making an album where the instruments all sound bold and clear. I forgot about how much better Cedarwood Road is live. It's heavier and you can hear all the instruments - there's space for them to do their job. SOI is generally overly arranged (even though there's not much going on) and does sound kind of weak. They smother the songs in synths that don't do anything but smother the songs. I still love the album though.

Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop all have a lot more going on musically but they still hit pretty hard, and you can hear all the details. SOI is kind of mushy. I wish U2 would us the production style of War as the template for their basic rock songs. They really got it right there. Raised By Wolves, Volcano, the Miracle, TIWYCRMN would all sound so much better if they sounded like War songs.

Anyway, SOI probably benefits more from the stage than any of their other albums over all.

Yeah, i agree with all of that. I feel like there are so many layers in SoI that no instruments can really stand out and shine. On top of that, i feel like the multiple guitar tracks do more harm than good. Take the studio version of 'Miracle' - there are two separate guitars for the chorus, and then when it goes into the 'Woah-oh-oh' part, a third one comes in replacing the other two. Likewise, in Cedarwood road, i think i can hear at least 3 guitars in the chorus.

For me it prevents the songs from sounding like a band playing a tune, and more like people in a studio plotting instrumental tracks on top of each other in a computer. It just doesn't sound real, and that is very distracting.

I've said this before, but i think a lot of SoI is some amazing song writing, let down by imperfect arrangements and production. The strength of their live sound really brings the whole album from a 6/10 to a 9/10 for me.

I agree that U2's earlier work (War is a good example) have stronger production, but for the most part, i find even with my favourite older albums of theirs, the band seem to lean towards a gentler production. The drums always seem kind of 'light' and low in the mix, for example. Could just be that they (or Larry) prefer that kind of sound. Just annoying that when they play live, their sound suddenly gets so much stronger, and completely blows their studio material out of the water.

I remember when i first saw them live, the first song was 'breathe' at Wembley stadium. I remember thinking "holy shit, this band has one hell of a drummer. Why have i never realised it before?"
I hope that their next album gives me the same kind of reaction (though that might be asking for too much).

To go with a non traditional choice, I'll pick Love and Peace Or Else.

I despised the song on the album. It was fun as hell live, something I didn't see coming whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-N920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Good shout. Opening bass and jet fighter sounds, Larry singing with Bono, very kickass slide solo from Edge, finishing with Bono drumming away. That was a great live rendition.

Going with the same album, first time i heard vertigo live (on the chicago dvd), hearing Bono's voice come alive ("you give me something i can FEEEL)") really gave me a new appreciation for the song, along with Edge's wilder guitar.

Just annoying that when they play live, their sound suddenly gets so much stronger, and completely blows their studio material out of the water.

Reading all above and listening to quite some Periscopes lately, made me think: let's hope the guys can bring their live power and energy to SOE. Must be possible as they are (?) recording while on the road.

Reading all above and listening to quite some Periscopes lately, made me think: let's hope the guys can bring their live power and energy to SOE. Must be possible as they are (?) recording while on the road.

Seems they've been recording the whole time they've been on tour. Edge instagrammed (what an awful word) a picture of a recording set up in his hotel room. There was a bass there too. I wonder is Adam was recording or Edge was getting ideas down for Adam to play.

I think Mofo is one of the rare instances where the studio version is a lot better than the live version.

Well, they have been quoted in interviews recently saying stuff like SoI was too overproduced, and that they want to go for a grittier, rougher sound for SoE. So at least in theory, the next album should sound a lot better.

They've also said that the days of taking 5 years to make an album are over, that it was embarrassing that it took that long, etc - so SoE might only take a couple of years in total. I suspect that could help it in terms of sounding grittier - NLOTH and SoI both took years and years, and went through multiple producers before being churned out to us. I'd bet that it was the working and reworking, recording and re-recording, producing and re-producing with multiple people that gave these past couple of albums that overly glossy, shiny, fake sound.

If SoE escapes that, then it stands a much better chance of sounding better. Even if they keep the mantra of wanting the album to sound rough, if they take another 4-5 years on SoE, with multiple producers, it will sound just as glossy as SoI.

Side note: On the 'U talkin' U2 to me?' podcast, the first song was described as having a very big, impressive drum part opening the song (and album, apparently). Bono said it was his favourite drum fill in a u2 song ever, followed later in the song by some mystery part that he described as his favourite sonic moment in a u2 song ever. I know bono exaggerates, but still... I hope all that is an indication of powerful production.

Too bad it has lost all its zing live, but WOWY on Rattle and Hum. The song is one of my all time favsourites from any band, and I love the studio version, but to me the R&H version is the best live moment from a rock band. Bono's perfect rendition and Larry's drumming during the solo. That extended solo might be simple, but it sounds like all the cash in the world condensed onto one hell of a rich needlepoint. And then the shine like stars... M O N E Y

That one is my favourite live performance, but vastly improved versions of studio songs include: electric co, out of control, bullet the blue sky (both with and without the extended solo), 11 o clock, 40, New York, Miracle Drug.

Havent listened to much of the SOI songs live as I have abstained from Periscope because of the inferior sound quality (dont wanna ruin it before my Nov 2 London show, yippee-ki-yay MOFO!).

I am sure there are more, will add them on when they come to me.

Great thread btw.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Too bad it has lost all its zing live, but WOWY on Rattle and Hum. The song is one of my all time favsourites from any band, and I love the studio version, but to me the R&H version is the best live moment from a rock band. Bono's perfect rendition and Larry's drumming during the solo. That extended solo might be simple, but it sounds like all the cash in the world condensed onto one hell of a rich needlepoint. And then the shine like stars... M O N E Y

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I agree that WOWY was amazing on Rattle and Hum, but a big problem with the JT versions are the fact that I think he way over sang it. A lot of yelling and shouting. The song was vastly improved on the later legs of JT and Lovetown when the performances really peaked.
His voice was nearly perfect on ZooTV, but a little weak. Then weaker on Popmart. Then gravelly on Elevation. Then barely even sang it on Vertigo. Then it was basically a spoken word version on 360. Just kept getting worse every tour.
However, he's nailed it this tour; WOWY sounds the best it has since ZooTV easily. I'm glad it's made such a strong comeback this time around.

Versions that have the "Love Will Tear Us Apart" snippet are typically better than the studio version imo. But from ZooTV-present, I prefer the studio version.
Love Will Tear Us Apart>>>>>>>Shine Like Stars

Last edited:
A firm :up: to that performance of WOWY on the RAttle& Hum DVD. I still remember the first time I watched it, I was home alone and a bit scared but I got enthralled by the DVD and WOWY was the standout. I was so beguiled by the passion. Part of me becoming a big fan.

Then it ended and I'd calmed down a bit and I watched Basic Instinct and didn't really get it. Then my parents came home.

There's quite a few but I don't agree with the popular belief that most U2 songs are better live.

11 O'clock Tick Tock
Party Girl
A Day Without Me
I Threw A Brick
Surrender
Bad
Bullet The Blue Sky (Zoo TV)
Hawkmoon 269
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Dirty Day
Miami
Walk On
Miracle Drug (even live it still sucks though)
The Miracle
Invisible

Love and Peace was definitely an improvement live. I still consider that song to be one of the musically most interesting ones in this century, shitty lyrics notwithstanding.

With or Without You was one of their best live songs between 1987 and 1993. Some of the ZooTV versions are fantastic, especially on the 1st leg (East Rutherford 1992-03-18 is a hidden gem). And that the versions this tour are somehow best since then - that's probably one of those new tour hype syndromes. It sounds pretty much identical to the last couple of tours to these ears - lazy and uninspired. The musical arrangement is completely the same as on Vertigo and 360 and Bono still sounds like he rather wouldn't bother.

I forgot to mention One Tree Hill. The guitar is muddy in the studio. It absolutely explodes live, especially the already famous Point Depot version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom