Big news - - new historical u2 soundcheck material on youtube!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irishmofo

Babyface
On youtube this morning I found a user with a plethora of U2 soundchecks / demos going back to 1987. To the best of my knowledge most of this stuff has never surfaced before. Search for this youtube user:
DiegoSinDestino
ONE EXAMPLE - U2 Rare Demos 1987-2010 Part 4 - YouTube

Check out all his stuff......

Can we get some analysis on this stuff please??..

Oh and someone download and save it all before its taken away from us all again!!!

HOLY CRAP! I remember many years ago I had part 5 downloaded when I was still living with my parents on their old computer in the late 90s! I forgot about those 98 soundchecks. Thanks for posting!

I like where they were going with that. With a little more practice it could've been awesome. I really wish they would have proceded with the "Pop encore" they were toying with. Mofo, Discotheque.... and GONE or SATS, perhaps?

no, it was Mofo, Discotheque, Velvet Dress that they were rehearsing.

Not sure if WOWY would have followed Velvet Dress, but assuming so.

Oh okay, I'd never heard the part about Velvet Dress. That would've been a great encore!

Also, from the previously mentioned Melbourne 1998 soundchecks. People say it sounds like early "Walk On", which it does, but I'm hearing more similarities to "North Star" in this. Does anybody agree?

U2 SOUNDCHECK - YouTube

WOWY was to follow Velvet Dress. Bono remarked "It should be beautiful" when they rehearsed it.

Mofo was worked on at least 4 or 5 times during the Vertigo tour. The mid section was the 747 guitar, then back into the synth bass riff Edge is playing on guitar in this version. They ceased rehearsing it when the Spring 2006 N. American stadium leg was scrapped. So it is just assumed that the "Popcore" was being worked on in anticipation of that leg. But we will obviously probably never know for sure. Although they pretty much stopped soundchecking period for the most part at that point on the third leg.

On youtube this morning I found a user with a plethora of U2 soundchecks / demos going back to 1987. To the best of my knowledge most of this stuff has never surfaced before. Search for this youtube user:
DiegoSinDestino
ONE EXAMPLE - U2 Rare Demos 1987-2010 Part 4 - YouTube

Check out all his stuff......

Can we get some analysis on this stuff please??..

Oh and someone download and save it all before its taken away from us all again!!!

The last one is from the Kansas City 1992 soundcheck. They worked on two other new songs at that check. I believe it has been torrented or uploaded at some point. I do not believe there is anything here that is more current than 1997 even though it says 2010. The middle one sounds interesting but I would place it around 97, it sounds familiar but I cannot place what check it is from specifically.

Mofo sounds interesting, I liked the Discotheque version they did on Vertigo Tour and would've loved more Pop.

The last one is from the Kansas City 1992 soundcheck. They worked on two other new songs at that check. I believe it has been torrented or uploaded at some point. I do not believe there is anything here that is more current than 1997 even though it says 2010. The middle one sounds interesting but I would place it around 97, it sounds familiar but I cannot place what check it is from specifically.

That 1987-2010 title is just the generic title that is on all 10 parts of the set. However that too is wrong since part 9 includes a rehearsal from 2011.

Mofo was worked on at least 4 or 5 times during the Vertigo tour. The mid section was the 747 guitar, then back into the synth bass riff Edge is playing on guitar in this version. They ceased rehearsing it when the Spring 2006 N. American stadium leg was scrapped. So it is just assumed that the "Popcore" was being worked on in anticipation of that leg. But we will obviously probably never know for sure. Although they pretty much stopped soundchecking period for the most part at that point on the third leg.

Do You have recordings from those rehearsals, or You witnessed them personally, i'm curious because You have such precise info... I would love to hear this new version of Mofo (747 guitar in the middle section!) and Velvet Dress :drool:

This Mofo bit from Youtube has pretty good audio, it sounds like some sort of earpiece recording - so there must be the whole thing somewhere...

^^ I'm sure the whole rehearsals were recorded, we just have to wait until they surface. Which may be never.

If they were complete, AND out there, you would probably know about it. (Meaning they would be on YT)

Do You have recordings from those rehearsals, or You witnessed them personally, i'm curious because You have such precise info... I would love to hear this new version of Mofo (747 guitar in the middle section!) and Velvet Dress :drool:

This Mofo bit from Youtube has pretty good audio, it sounds like some sort of earpiece recording - so there must be the whole thing somewhere...

The particular recording featured on Youtube I do not have. I have "heard" everything I mentioned though.

^^ I'm sure the whole rehearsals were recorded, we just have to wait until they surface. Which may be never.

If they were complete, AND out there, you would probably know about it. (Meaning they would be on YT)

If I were a betting person (which I'm not), I would bet on the never. ;)

Hey, sorry to re-awaken this sleeping thread, but I've been listening to this excellent playlist of soundchecks and have found an interesting bit:

U2 Rare Demos 1987-2010 Part 6 - YouTube

The second track is one of the 1998 Melbourne ( I think?) soundcheck songs, which were really cool and I remember listening to them at the time.

This track has a chorus that says something like "I can't find my way back home". It has a lot of potential and it was unclear why it was not used afterwards.

Well, when listening to it now it has struck me that the chords in the chorus are pretty much the chorus of Walk on, you can even sing it on top of the song.

Other parts are also similar, actually.

So it's a very early version of Walk on!

Back
Top Bottom