Best U2 support act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Just wondering what everyones fave support act for u2 has been.
Normally, i find u2s choice quite dull and uninspiring, but I have to say, I really enjoyed the Double whammy of Interpol and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club on Vertigo tour. But methinks the honour goes to The Pogues supporting on the Joshua Tree tour!:drool:

the best would be Garbage. the worst, by far was Dashboard Confessional. i actually had thoughts of running up on stage and punching their singer in the face. that's how bad they were.

Best U2 opening band ever: 3Ds :)fuckyeah: for the Dunedin Sound).
Best I've seen: Tie between Kaiser Chiefs and Glasvegas. Glasvegas definitely had the best music, what with the shoegaze influence and all, but their stage presence was abysmal. Kaiser Chiefs had the combination of good music and great stage presence and energy.
Worst I've seen: Republic Of Loose were just fucking terrible in every way. Only time I've sat down on an opener.

This lineup wasn't bad - The Fall, The Mission and The Pretenders in 1987 at Elland Road Leeds. Quite good warm up bands and this was my first U2 gig.

The 45 minutes of Dashboard Confessional was worse than the 10 hours of standing in line in the blistering heat... Luckily I had to use the washroom, so I missed most of it as it took a good while just to push my way in and out of the ellipse

best would have to be these:

Stereo MC's (Cardiff Arms 93 - incredible!!!!)
Pogues (Murrayfield 87)
Belly(paris 93)
Kaiser Chiefs (Dublin 09)
Rage against the machine (LA or chicago 97 cant remember)
BB King (Dublin 89)

good:
Public Enemy (Manchester 92)
Alarm (Carid 87)
UB40 (Cork 87)
disposable heroes of hiphopracy (All august outside broadcast gigs 92)
The hours (Cardiff 09)

pretty bad
Silencers (Wembley Arena 87)
Pretenders (Cardiff 87)

worst by a freekin mile!
Glasvegas (Dublin and Cardiff 09)

Best U2 opening band ever: 3Ds :)fuckyeah: for the Dunedin Sound).
Best I've seen: Tie between Kaiser Chiefs and Glasvegas. Glasvegas definitely had the best music, what with the shoegaze influence and all, but their stage presence was abysmal. Kaiser Chiefs had the combination of good music and great stage presence and energy.
Worst I've seen: Republic Of Loose were just fucking terrible in every way. Only time I've sat down on an opener.
Sorry mate but i'm a fan from the shoegazing era (Lush, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ride etc) and Glasvegas are to me abysmal. It was absolute torture for 95% of people in the pit at Cardiff. Believe me!!!!!!! Ride had all the stage presence of a used tampon but at least they had some decent songs!!!!!!

PJ and Elbow are the best bands that have opened for them, unfortunately I didn't see them.

Glasvegas are great on record, I've never heard them play live but it shocks me to people say they're so bad... to youtube I go.

WTF did they play to insite such hatred?

Spiral Staircase?

Don't tell me they busted that shit out for a U2 audience!

KOL were utter shit in 2005. No stage presence whatsoever, vocalist sounded like a dying pig, and the songs just weren't there. It was like watching paint dry.

Saw them again at Sound Relief earlier this year and I noticed a marked improvement.

Sorry mate but i'm a fan from the shoegazing era (Lush, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ride etc) and Glasvegas are to me abysmal. It was absolute torture for 95% of people in the pit at Cardiff. Believe me!!!!!!! Ride had all the stage presence of a used tampon but at least they had some decent songs!!!!!!

I'll readily agree that Glasvegas have nothing on the best shoegaze (Ride, Swervedriver, Catherine Wheel, etc.), but I still dug their music. It never suited the stadium setting and their lead singer had a truly awful stage manner, but it sure wasn't torture for me in Dublin. As long as I didn't look at the stage while they performed, I found their music appealling.

Back
Top Bottom