best to be a child growing up with what u2 era influence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysideoflove

The Fly
boy? war? fire? hum? tree? hum? baby? pop? behind? bomb? horizon?
i grew up hearing my dad playing bob dylan. i've turned out alright, what would be the best era for a u2 fan to grow up in?
i'm thinking pop, i never would at the time, but i do now, it's very educational x

^Definitely. I wouldn't play Pop to my 3.5yo daughter, save for maybe Discotheque for the beat. When my kids are 16-17, however, absolutely. Funny, though....I was 17 when it came out and totally didn't get it. Of course, I'd grown up on 80s U2 and fell in love with music when Achtung came out, so maybe it was just not in my sphere yet. Didn't learn to appreciate Pop until my mid-20s.

Perhaps I'm partial to this just because it's my own experience, but I think that growing up with the dreamy, 'soundscaped' 80s U2, most notably JT, would be ideal for a young kid. Work in some Mysterious Ways, NLOTH (the track), Magnificent and a few 80-83 tracks on occasion for pre-bedtime dance parties. ;) Many of the B-sides are great for slower dancing with kids. AYTCLB is also a great choice for young kids because of the sweet, simplistic music. Once you cross into preteen and early teen years, bring on Achtung. Whip out Pop and Zooropa when they're old enough to start truly getting it, and perhaps encourage a revisit to the lyrics and poetry of ATYCLB. Bomb can be scattered wherever. NLOTH as a whole probably not until they're a true fan and would care---it's kind of a mature album, IMO.

So, to recap: 80s, esp. late-80s for kids, 90s for pre- and early teens, then revisit the whole catalog in late teens and twenties for a better understanding (if that's what you're going for).

I have such dreamy memories of the power of WOWY as a kid/pre-teen, and the magic of UV, WGRYWH, One as an 11-yo is part of what drove me into a love of music.

I feel like I could've handled anything but probably not...what I would've wanted to listen to as a kid, U2-wise, would be Joshua Tree, Joshua Tree, Joshua Tree, just because it's so mindblowing and opened the door for me liking U2 in the first place.

So if it were me redoing this process, Joshua Tree and October to start with and the good tracks off Unforgettable Fire. For example, 'Wire' is a no. Around 12-13, I'd have listened to HTDAAB because IMO, it's an honestly good album and opens the door to the more 'hard rock' U2. Then Boy in late teens (wouldn't have liked it a couple years before...wasn't musically educated enough and probably just would've thought it was crap), then War.

Rattle & Hum only after seeing the movie, otherwise it's too jumpy in its transitions. I'd make the kid watch the Lovetown stuff that was filmed because it's epic, and then Achtung Baby...and so on. Zooropa before Pop, because the PopMart tour is just...so confusing without proper explanation and a lot of U2 listening behind you to make it make sense. I think ATYCLB and NLOTH last, because they're just not as good without backup, in my opinion.

no other cultural artifact -- book, movie, tv show, album, etc. -- influenced me more as a teenager than Zoo TV Live From Sydney.

it really did change my life.

I was born in 94, many of my childhood pictures you can see zoo tv posters hanging on the walls. Also my dad has told me he always played Bad to put me to sleep. He said it worked like a charm. :D

Be a child when U2 first started so that you could have experienced JT and AB first hand. :shrug:

And I agree, I wouldn't play Pop for my child.

I think it would be obvious to say that a 3-5yr old won't care in the slightest for any U2, but I'm not sure - if this is what is being suggested - about what could be 'wrong' with a kid of that age hearing Pop? Maybe I'm just reading that wrong and all you're saying is it's probably the U2 album that would be least appreciated, which might be true, but not by many degrees more than any other U2 album. A 3-5yr old would only care about something silly and superficial and catchy in the music, so the funny voice and catchy rhythm and funny song about lemons would probably be the closest thing to a 'hit' at that age.

It is interesting though how what music you do consume at that age via your parents - even though you don't actually care for it at all at the time - can influence what you like later on. If I look at what I naturally like the most now, whether it's genres or within a genre or within an artists work (even within U2), in a way that's hard to describe, I can see how growing up on a diet of things like Bowie-Beatles-Stones via my mother (and technically, I suppose I have 'attended' both a Bowie and Stones gig in the late 70s - both while in the womb) and constant classical music via my father has had it's influence on that. I mean, if you take the details, drama and layers of classical music, mix it with the brilliant songwriting of the Beatles, a bit of the *something* of the Stones brand of rock and the flash and experimental nature of Bowie, and I guess it's probably not surprising that at 13 it was the U2 of Achtung Baby/Zooropa/ZooTV that ignited with me. Or maybe more obvious, the friend of mine whose father is a jazz nut, who these days finds little to no satisfaction in any music that is super straight forward, even though that was exactly what he detested most about jazz growing up.

Umm, anyway, original question - both in terms of U2 and music in general, being a teenager in the 90s was pretty great. I would even suggest that, music wise, being a teenager in the 90s in Australia was particularly great. In general, culturally (music, TV, film etc), we get a strong mix of both US and UK, while there's plenty of stuff that doesn't cross over between the two, and that was very much the case with music during the 90s. So, as an over-simplifying example, we're getting both the explosion of 'grunge' and hip-hop from the US, right alongside brit pop and dance from the UK.

Late 80's. Whatever age that would make them old enough for Zoo TV, but that they understand the music and like it beforehand.
I change my mind (I was really confused when I wrote this)- I think JT and ATYCLB are good albums to grow up to, but whatever age it is to show Zoo TV, please show it. :)
Early 80's and all 90's is a no until they're older...

What era? That's an easy one. All of them! Start off with Boy and bring it all the way to No Line on the Horizon. You wouldn't teach them their ABC's and start off with the letter L would you? :wink:

please elaborate!

it was a look into a future i really wanted a part of -- multi-media, the message is the medium, etc.

basically, i found the fragments of words and phrases in The Fly when juxtaposed with the dirty-yet-enthralling music and ironic-yet-sincere poses of U2 at the time to be nothing short of sublime, it was as if in the midst of that song they had opened a vortex into another dimension that i, amidst the trappings of comfortable American suburbia, could maybe, one day, slide into and wind up on the other side of a world where meaning and significance -- sacred and profane -- were found in the most unusual of places, in the most unlikeliest of circumstance, because those are the only places where you'd ever hope to find authenticity.

what i think U2 did so well was really use all the window dressing at their disposal -- from costumes to video screens to sunglasses to dry ice during RTSS -- as a means of accessing something intangible, but permanent. that it was a very thoroughly constructed, fully imagined world they created during Zoo TV that could almost be explored by the audience outside of the concert experience.

it was also a critical moment when we had the oversaturation of media that we have today, but crucially pre-internet. Zoo TV occupied a space firmly between the 20th and the 21st century, and reflected what had just happened while predicting what was going to happen.

i know that's all kind of vague, but it made sense to me at the time, and more sense in retrospect. even Bono's referencing of different characters who were themselves pastiche -- The Fly, McPhisto -- was calling up the history of rock 'n roll, turning it into cabaret and destroying it ... all so it could save what made rock great in the first place, by using artifice to destroy that artifice, and to create meaning by revealing original meaning and casting it into the new light of the approaching millennium. Bono and his characters were highly informed, and genuinely post modern.

in all seriousness, Zoo TV was profound. it did reinvent stadium rock (by ending it). and every stadium show that aspires to be more than just a really big concert that has come after -- from U2 to the Stones to whomever can still play a stadium -- is trying to measure up to Zoo TV.

Umm, anyway, original question - both in terms of U2 and music in general, being a teenager in the 90s was pretty great. I would even suggest that, music wise, being a teenager in the 90s in Australia was particularly great. In general, culturally (music, TV, film etc), we get a strong mix of both US and UK, while there's plenty of stuff that doesn't cross over between the two, and that was very much the case with music during the 90s. So, as an over-simplifying example, we're getting both the explosion of 'grunge' and hip-hop from the US, right alongside brit pop and dance from the UK.

Oh yea, I'm sooooo grateful I was a teenager in the 90s. The music scene was just fucking awesome. We were totally spoilt without realizing it. I weep for the teenagers of today.

I think it would be obvious to say that a 3-5yr old won't care in the slightest for any U2, but I'm not sure

My daughter is on the older side of 3 1/2, and she will tell you exactly what she wants to hear if you ask her. Her responses range from the Lion King and Enchanted soundtracks to the Beatles and U2 (she used to say "Bono"). Of those, Enchanted and U2 are her most frequent responses, with Streets being the song she currently lists as her favorite.

I've trained her well. :wink:

As for Pop, I'm hesitant at least with her in particular....She's super bright and memorizes lyrics to songs she's heard a few times. She then asks what the lyrics mean if she doesn't understand. Pop's just too heavy, IMO. WUDM, Please, LNOE, Velvet Dress, Mofo...she really would catch a lot of it and ask about it, so I don't bother just yet.

I got into U2 when I was 13 and that was in 2001. That was good timing for me, because I was a really nervous person back then and found ATYCLB to be very soothing and therapeutic. I listened to it all the time to prevent panic attacks.

I wasn't interested in music until I was 11 in 1999, and U2 wasn't doing anything right then, so I got into Smash Mouth and Sugar Ray (Astro Lounge and 14:59 were my first albums). If I had been older during the Pop era, I don't think I would have been interested in U2 at that point.

I think the TUF era would have been nice to grow up in and to see the release of JT, the tour, R&H, and the subsequent transition to the AB era.

Depending on what age you consider "growing up," I had HTDAAB. Meh.

I didn't actually listen to much Bomb during that time period. I was, however, the only kid in 6th grade with a Zooropa T-shirt. :wink:

I've tried wearing that shirt now. Apparently I can't pull off a bare midriff.

Depending on what age you consider "growing up," I had HTDAAB. Meh.

I didn't actually listen to much Bomb during that time period. I was, however, the only kid in 6th grade with a Zooropa T-shirt. :wink:

I've tried wearing that shirt now. Apparently I can't pull off a bare midriff.

Do you have a picture of said t shirt and/or know where I can buy one? I've been dying to find a Zooropa t shirt, no luck yet. I may make a custon t.

Do you have a picture of said t shirt and/or know where I can buy one? I've been dying to find a Zooropa t shirt, no luck yet. I may make a custon t.

I'd say go for a custom one...I'm gonna do that to make a better AB one, at least...

I got it on U2.com. I think they had them on there relativly recently but I went on to get another one and I couldn't find them. It's just a purple T-shirt with the Zooropa face/stars thing on the front.

the first time I ever saw U2 was the summer of '92 and the WGRYWH video. I was 11 years old. I didn't become a fan until '98 and Sweetest Thing, though. I knew all their songs...

Back
Top Bottom