View Poll Results: Vote For The Best U2 album of the decade
All That You Can't Leave Behind 44 26.51%
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 13 7.83%
No Line On The Horizon 109 65.66%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Best Studio Album of the Decade

Rank the best U2 albums of the decade.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
You may also want to add your reflections on your U2 decade.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:49 PM
No Line by a huge margin. I like ATYCLB, but it annoys me, and it was a big step down from Pop. Bomb is just an utter joke.

I adore NLOTH, however.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:49 AM
NLOTH, one of their best albums. This is a band with members around 50s, who made these kind o songs:

Nloth
Mos
GOYB
Fez
WAS
COL

And they still make great Pop/Rock songs like Magnificent, IGCIIDGCT and Breathe!
Peterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

NLOTH, obviously by a large margin.
HTDAAB, could be better with a different tracklist (and AMAAW switched with Fast Cars and Mercy). ATYCLB is like a double EP: very strong A-side but the b-side (although it has 3 good songs) is miles much poorer.
Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In the city of blinding lights-MISSING THE CLAW IN SAO PAULO!
Local Time: 12:49 AM
In my opinion,it's ATYCLB,'cause after listened it,I start to appreciate U2 songs and become a big fan of them
Andreianloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 03:49 AM
I voted for ATYCLB because 'Kite' and 'Walk On' are 2 of my all-time favourite U2 songs ever. HTDAAB comes second because of my love for 'Miracle Drug' and 'SYCMIOYO'. NLOTH, whilst a good album, has to rank 3rd (somthing has to) because there isn't really a track on there that grabs me as much as those other 4 mentioned. 'Magnificent' is probably my favourite, but it still doesn't compare to the other 4 mentioned IMO.
Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:49 PM
NLOTH
ATYCLB
Bomb
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Refugee

HTDAAB – a true masterpiece, that is trong from tune #1 to the very last second ...
ZOOTVTOURist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
War Child

NLOTH , it`s the album that they`ve should`ve made after POP.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB both have some great tracks too , but NLOTH is such a strong album.

Cheers ,

Mauwer
Mauwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOTVTOURist View Post
HTDAAB – a true masterpiece, that is strong from tune #1 to the very last second ...
Agreed

5/5 HTDAAB
5/5 NLOTH
4.5/5 ATYCLB

Love them all. EFFING GREAT DECADE!
cjboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Refugee

How To Dismantle an A-Bomb is my choice. A+ first-rate songs on this album would be 1) Vertigo, 2) Miracle Drug, 3) City of Blinding Lights --- those 3 are better than anything on NLOTH, and better than everything on ATYCLB except "Beautiful Day".

Then, almost-first rate songs are 1) Sometimes You Can't Make it..., 2) All Because Of You, and 3) Yahweh. So, that's six classics right there -- the two other albums don't even come close to matching these six. And all the remaining songs are very strong, too, except maybe "One Step Closer" which is still inoffensive.

On top of that, I also find HTDAAB the most consistent and conceptually-successful album. The concept? Basic, guitar-heavy rock and roll sound. It's like Boy as recorded by guys arriving at middle-age.

Second would be ALYCLB, which, while emotionally quite weighty, is a bit inconsistent and kind of borders on FM-radio MOR sound at times, especially the second half.

By far the weakest of the decade is NLOTH, which is their most conceptually muddled album since Rattle and Hum, but without its superior songs. It's also the first U2 album to have two (or, for that matter, one) songs that actually offend me in their banality and bad taste.
65980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

NLOTH, by a mile.

the previous two are okay, though i like ATYCLB better than Bomb.

They could have just combined the two of them, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Taken the strong tracks off of each and dropped the crap (grace, man and a woman, wild honey, yaweh, all because of you, love and peace, etc).

Provisional title could be: How to Dismantle and Atomic Behind
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65980 View Post
How To Dismantle an A-Bomb is my choice. A+ first-rate songs on this album would be 1) Vertigo, 2) Miracle Drug, 3) City of Blinding Lights --- those 3 are better than anything on NLOTH, and better than everything on ATYCLB except "Beautiful Day".

Then, almost-first rate songs are 1) Sometimes You Can't Make it..., 2) All Because Of You, and 3) Yahweh. So, that's six classics right there -- the two other albums don't even come close to matching these six. And all the remaining songs are very strong, too, except maybe "One Step Closer" which is still inoffensive.

On top of that, I also find HTDAAB the most consistent and conceptually-successful album. The concept? Basic, guitar-heavy rock and roll sound. It's like Boy as recorded by guys arriving at middle-age.

Second would be ALYCLB, which, while emotionally quite weighty, is a bit inconsistent and kind of borders on FM-radio MOR sound at times, especially the second half.

By far the weakest of the decade is NLOTH, which is their most conceptually muddled album since Rattle and Hum, but without its superior songs. It's also the first U2 album to have two (or, for that matter, one) songs that actually offend me in their banality and bad taste.
So it appears that your opinion is exactly opposite of mine.

I really have a hard time understanding how anyone could view Miracle Drug as a better song than Moment of Surrender, though.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65980 View Post

I'm with ya
ZOOTVTOURist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I enjoyed all the albums, but I have to vote NLOTH for the best because there isn't a single song on it that I want to skip, even Boots (it's been growing on me).

ATYCLB is 2nd because it's the album that created my U2 obsession. To this day Walk On and Kite make my misty eyed and well Beautiful Day is incredible. Oh and Elevation live is pretty f'ing awesome, it's not the deepest song but it gets people moving.

I like Bomb, but not as much as the other two. COBL is just a great song. Vertigo again is a great live song, Sometimes and Original of the Species are other highlights for me. However, it does have one of my least favorite U2 songs of all time, Yahweh.
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:49 PM
#1 NLOTH

#2 HTDAAB (All good songs, but poorly produced, and thrown together without concept. More of a Best of 2000-2004 than a real album. But all good songs!)

#3 ATYCLB (weakest and most uneven disc they've ever released!)
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

NLOTH, no competition. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are my two least favourite U2 albums ever.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 AM
NLOTH, even with the weaker middle. Best work since AB. Still a little too much in the singles-writing mode and without a strong lyrical idea (and Edge could bring some new sounds), but I'm impressed. If they maintain this quality from now on...sign me up.

Then Bomb, arguably the most song-for-song consistent record of the decade but not an album.

ATYCLB, which with a stronger tracklist could have been great (Stateless and Ground beneath her feet making the cut in the second half). As it is it tanks after In a little while.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

No Line

waynetravis is offline   Reply With Quote