Best Studio Album of the Decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For The Best U2 album of the decade

• All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 44 26.5%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • No Line On The Horizon

Votes: 109 65.7%

• Total voters
i'm shocked by the amount of love that atomic bomb is getting. it is the worst album u2 have ever made.....worst album sleeve also....

i'm shocked by the amount of love that atomic bomb is getting. it is the worst album u2 have ever made.....worst album sleeve also....

I'm shocked that you're shocked. It may be hated by 12 or 13 people on this forum, but in the real world it was a huge hit, got glowing reviews from the most perceptive journos and media sources (including The New York Times, Q, Rolling Stone, and the Village Voice), sold by the truckload, and was declared the best album we've made by two or three members of the band in U2 by U2.

There's also the fact that, as the "album before the new one", its status is going to sink, invariably. People tend to get over-excited about what's new and punish the one before for its excesses, whatever they may be.

The true critical appreciation of any album won't really form into any kind of coherent consensus for maybe 20 years after its release. Let's all come back in 2024 to talk about HTDAAB.

Oh, and while the front cover is sort-of average, the inside packaging is my favorite since The Joshua Tree!

If I were to rate just by the total number of songs I like from each album, the order would be:

1. ATYCLB
2. HTDAAB
3. NLOTH

If I modify this to take into account how much I like each of the songs that I've listed, then the ordering becomes:

1. NLOTH
2. ATYCLB
3. HTDAAB

:shrug:

i think i like your little system there...

mine would then be

all that you can't
no line
how to dismantle

and

no line
all that you can't
how to dismantle

it's only the same 12-13 continually posting to make it seem that way.

Seems like only 12 people have voted for Bomb in this thread so far though. Also, I have to agree with the guy who said that Bomb has the worst cover in the band's career, inside booklet too in my opinion. Bomb is a decent album, but just not by U2's standards.

Shocked? You're serious? :eyebrow: How is this shocking?

It's the worst album they made in YOUR opinion. As the polls show, not many people agree with that. While it's not my favourite I can't say it's a bad album. Though I can agree on the sleeve...

i think i like your little system there...

mine would then be

all that you can't
no line
how to dismantle

and

no line
all that you can't
how to dismantle

Cool. I find it interesting that you still have Dismantle at the bottom no matter what - I mean, given your username and all - but there's no rule saying having a favorite song necessitates the album it appearing on being your favorite album also. I think I read that Dismantle was the album that got you into U2. So I'm assuming you're fairly young? I don't mean that as a diss at all, but just that young people tend to gravitate towards the newest release? Again, no diss intended...for example...my son for some bizarre reason felt that 808 was Kanye's best evar and said that Graduation was no longer his favorite when 808 first came out. I think that in time he'll come to retract that statement. :shrug:

Compared to the other two decades u2 have been on the go...i would have to say that the Noughties have been the poorest for quality of material. But as i have sed many times before...how blessed are we u2 fans...when i can say that....but still really enjoy the albums:drool:

I agree with gman. There are some U2 albums that I like less than others. But I can enjoy every U2 album.

Oh...and best album of the decade for me...NLOTH......Top 5 songs of the decade

1. Kite
2. Walk On
3. SYCMIOYO
4. White As Snow
5. Unknown Caller

It's the worst album they made in YOUR opinion. As the polls show, not many people agree with that. While it's not my favourite I can't say it's a bad album. Though I can agree on the sleeve...

As "the polls show"? To which polls are you referring and why are they any more important?

NLOTH pretty much sucks and is the worst album the band's ever released, so it's down to ATYCLB and HTDAAB for me. I like both quite a bit, and have some fond memories and nice personal connections to a lot of the songs on each album.

But I'm going with ATYCLB. That opening 6 song stretch is really great. It's the warmest and most uplifting of the 2000s material, and that's sort of what I'm digging in music right now, so ATCYLB it is.

Obviously it is my opinion. I mean, I did say it, so hence, it is my opinion. Way to state the obvious there. Brilliant observation skills, just brilliant.
And if you're talking about this poll, then it seems like it agrees with me since atomic bomb has only received 12 votes so far, the fewest amongst the 3 records

Obviously it is my opinion. I mean, I did say it, so hence, it is my opinion. Way to state the obvious there. Brilliant observation skills, just brilliant.
And if you're talking about this poll, then it seems like it agrees with me since atomic bomb has only received 12 votes so far, the fewest amongst the 3 records

Thank you.

And well, for an album that's their shittiest ever, according to you, it still received 12 votes. So there's still 12 people who consider this album a favourite. That's EXCLUDING the people who like Bomb, but don't consider it the favourite. Quite too much for a shitty record I'd say, but fine, if you want it this way, I'll make a new poll.

I voted ATYCLB...

I do honestly believe NLOTH is a stronger, more complete album, with better songs.

However in regards to my preferred taste, I'm a huge sucker for Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, IALW, Wild Honey and WILATW. Elevation and Stuck are pretty good. I've recently started appreciating Peace on Earth a bit more than I used to.

Cool. I find it interesting that you still have Dismantle at the bottom no matter what - I mean, given your username and all - but there's no rule saying having a favorite song necessitates the album it appearing on being your favorite album also. I think I read that Dismantle was the album that got you into U2. So I'm assuming you're fairly young? I don't mean that as a diss at all, but just that young people tend to gravitate towards the newest release? Again, no diss intended...for example...my son for some bizarre reason felt that 808 was Kanye's best evar and said that Graduation was no longer his favorite when 808 first came out. I think that in time he'll come to retract that statement. :shrug:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/isnt-it-funny-how-things-change-hutdab-186742.html probably explains it best. i loved it when it came out - but at that stage i was 15 or 16, and was nowhere near as into music then as i am now. i owned about 1% of the albums i currently do. i've gone the opposite way i suppose at gravitated to their older work, because it is better. there's no doubting that.

and city of blinding lights is not my favourite song anymore.

NLOTH pretty much sucks and is the worst album the band's ever released

can i just ask why? could you elaborate if you don't mind? i think it is good, and i'm not trying to ignore subjective opinion here, anyone who knows me around here should know that, but i do struggle to see how some people's opinions of NLOTH are so low.

can i just ask why? could you elaborate if you don't mind? i think it is good, and i'm not trying to ignore subjective opinion here, anyone who knows me around here should know that, but i do struggle to see how some people's opinions of NLOTH are so low.

Yeah, sure. There are many reasons why I don't care much for the album. But I suppose I'll start by saying that the title track, Moment of Surrender, and Breathe are three songs that I do enjoy and are worthy additions to the U2 catalogue. Other than those songs, ouch...

I've made it no secret that I think Unknown Caller is an abomination and the worst thing the band has ever done. I feel embarrassed for Bono when I hear the chorus. The lyrical theme is beyond silly and the awkward and grating chanting of those silly lyrical ideas just makes it even worse. "Password! You! Enter here!", "Force quit! And move to trash!", "You know your name! So punch it in!" These are, in my opinion, the worst lyrical choices Bono has made in his life. It's the Sultan of Shitty U2 Songs.

Never connected with Magnificent. Edge has some nice moments in the song, but again Bono ruins this one. The delivery of "magnificennnnnnnnnnt" is cheesy, dumb, cringeworthy, any other negative adjective you want to use. Bono doesn't sound good. And the statement itself is not as strong as Bono thinks it is. As for the verse lyrics, he's covered that territory before with better results. It's very cliche.

Boots is easily the worst lead single of the band's career. The band themselves have all but admitted as much. Just, not very exciting stuff.

I enjoyed Crazy Tonight a great deal when the album first leaked. But, boy oh boy, did it wear out its welcome. Saccharine and annoying. Busy and obnoxious. I can't even listen to the thing anymore.

We all know how awful Stand Up Comedy is, so I don't even need to get in depth on that one.

Fez - Being Born is a nice piece of poetry but I just don't dig the sounds all that much. White As Snow and Cedars...these are nice, subtle songs that set a good mood and tell a good story but, holy shit, they are both boring as all hell and I've never had much desire to listen to them and might never listen to them again.

So I suppose the short answer is that I just don't like the songs very much. Every other album they've released has had a stronger collection of tunes, in my opinion.

I still love the band to death and they still put on a hell of a concert, though. I hope that helps maybe a little.

1. NLOTH - Even with it's Bomb-era middle trio holding it back from greatness, and a continuation of largely retro-mining the sound, its easily the best of the decade. There's still a frustrating need for simplistic, overblown songs - but they work out okay this time, Bono has spent more than 5 minutes on the lyrics, there's a return of paying attention to detail, the vocals are fantastic, production is a mammoth improvement, MoS is as good as anything they've done. Just really... Edge. Dude.

2. ATYCLB - Pleasant, and I think mostly achieved what it set out to do.

3. HTDAAB - Steaming turd from start to finish.

I want to congratulate you on having the ovaries to actually speak the truth! Ha, ha, well... I don't dislike it as much as you do, but I agree with most of what you've said here.

...I suppose I'll start by saying that the title track, Moment of Surrender, and Breathe are three songs that I do enjoy and are worthy additions to the U2 catalogue. Other than those songs, ouch...

I don't particularly like any of those 3. Both "No Line" and "Moment of Surrender" put me to sleep -- new experiences for me listening to a U2 song. The melodies just aren't there. "Breathe" is an impressive piece of music until Bono opens his mouth. I give him credit for trying something new, but it just failed. The band sound great, though.

I've made it no secret that I think Unknown Caller is an abomination and the worst thing the band has ever done... These are, in my opinion, the worst lyrical choices Bono has made in his life.

I like this song, but yeah, it doesn't blow me away or anything. It's just very pretty. Actually, this one sounds exactly like an Unforgettable Fire outtake.

Never connected with Magnificent. Edge has some nice moments in the song, but again Bono ruins this one. The delivery of "magnificennnnnnnnnnt" is cheesy, dumb, cringeworthy, any other negative adjective you want to use. Bono doesn't sound good. And the statement itself is not as strong as Bono thinks it is. As for the verse lyrics, he's covered that territory before with better results. It's very cliche.

We'll part ways here since I love "Magnificent", but I do concur that the verse lyrics are just cliche Bono-isms that we've heard a thousand times.

Boots is easily the worst lead single of the band's career. The band themselves have all but admitted as much. Just, not very exciting stuff.

Yup. This one just passes me by. It's just inconsequential.

I enjoyed Crazy Tonight a great deal when the album first leaked. But, boy oh boy, did it wear out its welcome. Saccharine and annoying. Busy and obnoxious. I can't even listen to the thing anymore.

I'll raise you five! I consider this the worst U2 song ever. This is the only U2 song that I find shameful to listen to.

We all know how awful Stand Up Comedy is, so I don't even need to get in depth on that one.

The guitar licks are pretty cool, but yeah... it is pretty shite.

Fez - Being Born is a nice piece of poetry but I just don't dig the sounds all that much. White As Snow and Cedars...these are nice, subtle songs that set a good mood and tell a good story but, holy shit, they are both boring as all hell and I've never had much desire to listen to them and might never listen to them again.

"Fez" is nice and cool and everything, but it's hardly some masterwork that some people are orgasming over. It's the kind of thing the group could already do (better) back in 1987. But it's fine. I disagree with you here, though, because I really like both "White as Snow" and "Cedars". "Cedars", in fact, I find the most completely successful song on the album. "White As Snow" is weakening for me with repeated listens (never a good sign), but I still think it's lovely and poignant. Having said that, the vocals are not very good and it's way over-produced. It's the kind of song that Bob Dylan would go into the studio with, record with any band at-hand in 5 minutes, and leave the studio two minutes after that. In the case of U2, they probably spent 18 months, 3 producers, and 173 overdubs to record a folk song.

So I suppose the short answer is that I just don't like the songs very much. Every other album they've released has had a stronger collection of tunes, in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. NLOTH has some of the weakest melodies they've written, and I don't find the album focused at all (how do we get from "moment of surrender" to "stand up comedy" in 10 minutes?). But then again, how can albums be focused when groups spend three years recording them in 18 different studios with a limitless budget?

I still love the band to death and they still put on a hell of a concert, though. I hope that helps maybe a little.

Agreed. They surprised me with ALTCLB and HTDAAB, both of which exceeded my expectations for a group in its 4th decade. The fact that NLOTH is a bit of a bummer (to me) doesn't overly concern me; I trust them to come out with something better.... in, oh, about 7 years from now!

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who considers Elevation, Stuck In A Moment, Miracle Drug, LAPOE, OOTS, etc. superior to NLOTH, Magnificent, Moment Of Surrender, and Breathe differs from my opinion so greatly that I can't be bothered to argue with them over the songs in the first place. There is simply no comparison between the them IMO; lazy, saccharine garbage vs. worthy artistic statement. I'm generalizing in a major way right now, as there are moments on all three albums that fit those descriptions, but NLOTH is packed with good things, while the others only feature a handful of moments that have stuck with me.

NLOTH is the clear winner here, but really, that's not saying much.

I agree with several of GAF's points. But the stronger parts of NLOTH are better than the best of ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

You are correct yes. Miss Sarajevo and Zoo Station aside, I have no regrets about that. This year, I went to the Don Valley stadium and thoroughly enjoyed it!

This is just my opinion and everything, but that was a very, very stupid decision.

By the way, I listened to Stand Up Comedy today for the first time in maybe 3 months, and I kinda enjoyed it.
Still, not exactly a great song, but it's on it's way from crap to okay for me.
If this continues, the album will have no crap songs on it.
Which further enforces NLOTH as the best album of the decade, and the best album since Zooropa.

"Fez" is nice and cool and everything, but it's hardly some masterwork that some people are orgasming over. It's the kind of thing the group could already do (better) back in 1987. But it's fine. I disagree with you here, though, because I really like both "White as Snow" and "Cedars". "Cedars", in fact, I find the most completely successful song on the album. "White As Snow" is weakening for me with repeated listens (never a good sign), but I still think it's lovely and poignant. Having said that, the vocals are not very good and it's way over-produced. It's the kind of song that Bob Dylan would go into the studio with, record with any band at-hand in 5 minutes, and leave the studio two minutes after that. In the case of U2, they probably spent 18 months, 3 producers, and 173 overdubs to record a folk song.
I don´t agree with this post because I really really like NLOTH. But that´s subjective. The only thing I just cannot understand is that you say that WAS does not have good vocals. I think Bono uses his voice really nicely there. He really paints a picture together with the music. You also say that while you really like HTDAAB which has some of Bono´s worst vocals.

Back
Top Bottom