Best Song Survivor v2: The Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Well, here we go. After a very quick tournament, using a format I'm quite pleased with and definitely think should be used again, we've reached Interference's top 30 for June 2009. With the 360 Tour just about to commence, the forum ranks U2's songs thusly:

INTERFERENCE'S U2 TOP THIRTY
(Honourable mention: 31. Mysterious Ways)
=29. Gloria - 29 votes
=29. Heartland - 29
=26. Breathe - 31
=26. City Of Blinding Lights - 31
=26. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - 31
=22. The Electric Co. - 32
=22. Love Is Blindness - 32
=22. Please - 32
=22. Walk On - 32
21. Kite - 33
20. One Tree Hill - 34
=17. All I Want Is You - 35
=17. Stay - 35
=17. Ultra Violet - 35
16. Fez-Being Born - 36
15. Zooropa - 38
=13. No Line On The Horizon - 40
=13. Running To Stand Still - 40
=11. Beautiful Day - 41
=11. New Year's Day - 41
10. The Unforgettable Fire - 42
9. Gone - 43
8. Acrobat - 44
7. A Sort Of Homecoming - 45
6. The Fly - 46

5. Magnificent - 47
4. Until The End Of The World - 48
3. Bad - 51
2. With Or Without You - 55
1. Where The Streets Have No Name - 57
(Total votes: 88)

Meanwhile, occupying the coveted place of dead last, earning only 1 vote each in the entire tournament, are J. Swallow and The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew. Out-polled even by the demo of Twilight!

And that's it for me for Survivor for a little while. Hope you've all enjoyed the games. See you again whenever next time is.

I love that the only album with three songs in the top ten is UF.

Congrats on running it all Ax :up:

I always find it interesting how much results change each time, and with each different format. Especially in regards to how different it is to the competition I ran a few months ago

Heartland at 29 though? Fail interference fail

Not bad. Ax, there's no way we could have a worst-song round between J.Swallow and Ronnie Drew, is there?

I always find it interesting how much results change each time, and with each different format. Especially in regards to how different it is to the competition I ran a few months ago

I was thinking about that too. Some surprising changes - and some surprising similarities too.

As far as the top ten goes, I'm quite surprised UTEOTW beat The Fly, as I don't think that's happened in any past edition of the game.

Not bad. Ax, there's no way we could have a worst-song round between J.Swallow and Ronnie Drew, is there?

I'm tempted ...!

INTERFERENCE'S U2 TOP THIRTY
=29. Gloria - 29 votes

=22. Please - 32

20. One Tree Hill - 34

=11. New Year's Day - 41

8. Acrobat - 44

Hey, thanks for running this, Axver.
Acrobat, NYD, OTH, Please and Gloria into an U2 top 30 is failure, imo.
Actually, several of the songs listed are not even in my top 50, but it's not like they couldn't be in an top 30, they're all good, except those five. (I mean, for a U2 top 30.)

I was thinking about that too. Some surprising changes - and some surprising similarities too.

As far as the top ten goes, I'm quite surprised UTEOTW beat The Fly, as I don't think that's happened in any past edition of the game.

Yeah I'd say, I think I prefer your top ten though seeing as Acrobat made it this time. I plan on running another top 50 list style tournament this winter as it's the only time I'll really have time to do it excluding summer but it looks like the band might be touring then which might effect results. I also plan on introducing a new element, by putting certain songs at a handicap, like the Passengers album since it's obvious a large number of people haven't heard it, I'd also do it with b-sides too.

UTEOTW didn't even make the top 10 when I ran a competition and the Fly was 3rd so yeah pretty surprising

Well done and thankya for running the comp Axver....top effort.

Gone in the top ten? Try as I might, I've always struggled to understand the adoration for this song, especially ahead of 90's magic such as Mysterious Ways, Zoo Station, One, Lemon, Discotheque and Please.

As harder core U2 fans, the list looks for the most part acceptable and understandable. This list however, would bemuse so many "casual" U2 fans. Sunday Bloody Sunday? Pride? One? Extraordinary thing to kinda put youself in a less hardcore position and understand how obscure this list might look to some people.

Love the growing fonts on the list above :applaud:

One big difference I noticed about this format was that it wasn't nearly as painful to not have to cast votes against songs you love. Somehow only voting for the songs we love made it a lot easier. LOL

Thanks again Axver, it was great :drool:

Meanwhile, occupying the coveted place of dead last, earning only 1 vote each in the entire tournament, are J. Swallow and The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew. Out-polled even by the demo of Twilight!
:happydance:

i wonder when i should start on the survivor i was thinking of :hmm: it won't be right away but i don't need to wait two months or anything.

Thanks for the hard work Axver.

I like the fact that TUF made the top ten, I'm also a bit surprised that some seem to share my appreciation of Being Born and Zooropa ;)

Could someone explain the high marks for Kite or ASOH?
Did Pride and Bullet the Blue Sky get snubbed because of live overexposure?

The absence of Do You Feel Loved and Stateless still baffles me and the R&H rankings (AIWIY #17 Heartland #29) why Desire or God.Pt2 didn't make it....

Lastly, is Gloria really the best thing from October? With Acrobat and TUF scoring so high, I would've thought that perhaps Tomorrow could've gotten in.

Well, I won't waste time posting a new thread for this result.

Best of the Worst Survivor is done and dusted. Who is worse, Johnny Swallow or Ronnie Drew? Well, in a very clear decision, The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew has been voted as the worst U2 song! Out of 38 votes, J. Swallow received 31, versus only 7 for the Ballad.

Thank You Axver for all of your hard work and time!! :applaud: I appreciated your work and comments as well as all the other poster's thoughts and opinions.

Good job Interference....I am quite impressed and pleased with the final list. :hi5:

Thanks everyone ... it actually feels really weird now, not starting a new Survivor round each day.

Back
Top Bottom