Best Performance of 1 Song -- Happiest Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Two parter.

What U2 song (yes I know we all have many) makes you the happiest when you hear it. I'm talking change your mood instantly. Make you dance.

And what performance of a song hits you the most. For example a lot of people will say BAD at Live Aid.

1. DESIRE every single time i hear it , i get excited.

2. Streets @ The Super Bowl

I could pick many choices. But this is what came first.

I love the recent general discussion threads. Keep 'em coming!

1. I would say YTBTAM, but that's too new for me to say anything about every single time. I'm going to go with One Tree Hill. Maybe it's because it was my smoking song, but I always just feel more at ease and pumped for life when I hear it.

2. Stay @ Boston. Just a beautiful rendition.

Oh what a great idea for a thread!

Here's mine:

1) Angel of Harlem, from the Point Depot 12-26. The one where Bono snippets Suspicious Minds in it. I love it so much, and I love Edge's backing vocals in that performance.

2) All I Want Is You > Streets from Slane Castle - when Bono sings "All I want is youuuuuuu" and his voice kind of breaks just as Edge's guitar in WTSHNN starts.....gets me every time.

1. Angel of Harlem. Studio version. Always makes me groove.

2. Streets from Zoo Radio/Inside Broadcast. I think it was from somewhere in Texas?

Happy doesn't really come to mind for me with U2. Perhaps exhilaration in the right circumstances.

Maybe their cover of Rain on Popmart Leeds.

Both from R&H:
1. Angel of Harlem (album). I will grin and dance joyfully anywhere, anytime to that version. (It was the song that hooked me onto the band in the first place).

2. Shine Like Stars in WOWY. Or the house lights coming on at the beginning of Streets. Both take my breath away. Every. Single. Time.

1.Until the end of the world Brit awards 2001. The performance that got me into u2. It was as if bono reached out to me from my tv and took my soul :)

2 The Fly Glastonbury 2011, a lot of question marks over glasto but the fly was unreal with all the zoo to images.

3 Where the streets have no name on any of the joshua tree tour 2017 gigs. When that screen comes on wow wow wow

Ok I cheated and picked 3 :)

Mysterious Ways popmart Mexico. What a stupendous performance !!! I can't help but dance to it. It makes me elevated, thrilled, joyous.

This, to me, is one of their career highlights... fuckin' "Kite", man. It makes me very happy to hear, and this song should be one of their Greatest Hits, or at least a regular like "Bad".

Another example is "Bad" from R&H. Watching that for the first time transformed me from a kid who was curious about a band his Dad liked, to a full fledged fanatic! That seriously was life changing for me, at 13 years old.

The performance used to be on YouTube but I can't find it anywhere now :-(

Bono was the main man that night, I can remember going to school the next morning and everyone was talking about Bono. Remember him walking through the rich section to get to the fans at the back, was such a cool moment and it was the year Craig David stole the one chords for a song and got 1 million nominations but didn't win anything :) remember Bono dedicating one to him :)

Where The Streets Have No Name

Whether it is live or on the radio, instant chills. That sog is so much magic.

Bad from Brussels 360 tour is very special to me. It was pissing rain, we had a really long day, ended up in the pit on the side with perfect view on Edge. And they played that with the rain snippets, Bono actually played guitar during the song and urged Edge to keep playing when Larry ended the song. That little exchange was so cute, they kept playing and then Larry grudgingly started up again, bono's little victory smirk was priceless.

To add to my own choices....

There's a version of DESIRE played in Boston around June during Elevation T/our -- I was there for 2 or 3 shows -- but Larry comes out with the drum and Bono starts singing "Boston is the town I love. Boston is the town I love" then eventually it lead into Desire or maybe that was in the middle of it... I need to hear it again... but that's always been in my head since that moment.

I often find myself singing U2 songs and then I realize I'm singing some one off snippet Bono said once in a concert. to me that's when a band is really talking to you. When you start singing songs and snippets out of no where and it takes you a few minutes to even realize where the fuck the song is from.

1. Mysterious Ways. I heard it on the radio the other day while I was driving and I wanted to get out of the car and start dancing.

2. WOWY in Chicago in '87.

Where the Streets Have No Name is my favourite song of all time, so I guess that.

But I am quite disturbed by the fact that not a single person so far has named Running to Stand Still - Where the Streets Have No Name from ZooTV. Unequivocally the high point of the band's career.

1. Best Thing, Sweetest Thing, Elevation

2. MLK at the Super bowl into Streets

Where the Streets Have No Name is my favourite song of all time, so I guess that.

But I am quite disturbed by the fact that not a single person so far has named Running to Stand Still - Where the Streets Have No Name from ZooTV. Unequivocally the high point of the band's career.
Agree entirely with both points.

However, the Popmart dvd performance of One, which Bono dedicates to the recently deceased M Hutchence then chokes up while singing, smashes me hard every time I see it.

But as cobbler said, the Running/Streets opus on ZooTV reached a level I didn't know live music could reach.

Back
Top Bottom