Best of Non-Album Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 North and South Of The River
2 11 O Clock Tick Tock
3 Love Comes Tumbling
4 Invisible
5 Summer Rain
5 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
6 Ground Beneath Her Feet
7 Crystal Ballroom
8 Lady With The Spinning Head
8 Bass Trap
9 Three Sunrises
10 A Celebration
11 Salome

Not including songs from Original Soundtracks 1 because I consider that a U2 album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How can you put A Celebration, Bass Trap and Summer Rain before Luminous times and Walk to the Water ???? Tastes....I know..... but here it must be something else that's behond me :hmm:

So many of U2's best tracks aren't on albums, can't possbly narrow it down to 10. I got it to 15 and that was really hard.
In no particular order:

1. 11 o’clock
2. A Celebration
3. 3 Sunrises
4 . Treasure
5 Love Comes Tumbling
6 Night and Day
7. Oh Berlin
8 Disappearing Act
9 Electrical Storm
10 Spanish Eyes
11. Luminous Times
12 Wild Irish Rose
13 Salone
14 Spinning Head
15 Hold Me Thrill Me....

Shit, I forgot TGBHF and Stateless, which are easily top 10

1. Mercy (original only)
2. North And South Of The River
3. Invisible
4. Stateless
5. Down All The Days (another one that should be on every list)

6. I'm Not Your Baby
7. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
8. Salome
9. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
10. HMTMKMKM

11. Holy Joe
12. Soon (no one else? really?)
13. Hallelujah Here She Comes
14. Desert Of Our Love
15. Rise Up

I used to be really into the JT b-sides, particularly Spanish Eyes and Sweetest Thing. They really don't do as much for me anymore, and oddly nowadays I get more out of the outtakes that were on the 20th anniversary set.

I don't care what the "rules" were here, I'm not including anything off Passengers. Since they're on a legit studio album you can't call them "non-album tracks". I'm also not including any covers; most of them aren't worthy of a list anyway.

Lastly, Alex Descends... and Falling At Your Feet aren't U2 tracks; the former is just Bono and Edge, the latter Bono and Daniel Lanois.

Two go-nowhere demos like Rise Up and Desert of Our Love are on here over Love Comes Tumbling? You've got no room to call anyone out in this thread with a miss like that. :wink:

I should probably make a list of my own. Not going to sequence it but it would include these tracks:

1. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Disappearing Act
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Luminous Times
6. Walk to the Water
7. Hallelujah, Here She Comes
8. Lady with the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
9. HMTMKMKM
10. North and South of the River
11. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
12. Stateless
13. Electrical Storm
14. Mercy

Which would probably be my 4th or 5th favorite U2 album.

Last edited:
How can you put A Celebration, Bass Trap and Summer Rain before Luminous times and Walk to the Water ???? Tastes....I know..... but here it must be something else that's behond me :hmm:

I don't dislike the songs you said, but I've always loved those 3. Summer Rain is a pretty basic song, but I used to always listen to it on long summer drives. So I guess it's more nostalgic.
I've always really liked A Celebration, but I'm also a huge fan in Boy and October, so it's fits pretty well. And Bass Trap is awesome. No explanation needed.

I should probably make a list of my own. Not going to sequence it but it would include these tracks:

1. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Disappearing Act
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Luminous Times
6. Walk to the Water
9. HMTMKMKM
12. Stateless
13. Electrical Storm
14. Mercy

Great list! I would probably only swap out Mercy for Crystal Ballroom, and add one that I don't know if anyone has put on their list yet, and I just remembered - SLOW DANCING! I'm fairly obsessed with that song.

1. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Disappearing Act
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Luminous Times
6. Walk to the Water
9. HMTMKMKM
12. Stateless
13. Electrical Storm
14. Mercy

Very good list! I think that even by using just TUF and TJT b-sides there is probably a top 5 U2 album there.

1. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Disappearing Act
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Luminous Times
6. Walk to the Water
9. HMTMKMKM
12. Stateless
13. Electrical Storm
14. Mercy

Regarding your number 10 choice, do you know if there's another version of North and South of The River other than the one that was a Pop era b-side?

I just can't get into that song no many how times I hear it, maybe it's knowing that Christy Moore was involved in the writing of it (I can't stand his music).

There's the amazing Omagh tribute live version, which is the ultimate version in my mind.

1. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (no shit)
2. A Celebration
3. 11'O'Clock Tick Tock
4. The Crystal Ballroom
5. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
6. Stateless
7. Xanax and Wine
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
9. Electrical Storm
10. The Sweetest Thing
11. Spanish Eyes
12. Luminous Times
13. North And South Of The River
14. Smile
14. Invisible
15. Ordinary Love
16. Levitate
17. Summer Rain
18. Bass Trap
19. The Three Sunrises
20. Big Girls Are Best

Mercy has never been released as a studio version. The version that was leaked would not crack my top 20.

Two go-nowhere demos like Rise Up and Desert of Our Love are on here over Love Comes Tumbling? You've got no room to call anyone out in this thread with a miss like that. :wink:

I legitimately forgot that one. And while I'll admit, Desert Of Our Love doesn't go anywhere and just has a happy, atypical groove that I love, Rise Up certainly has the structure of a full song. I suggest listening to it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX9A11IBcT8

3. Disappearing Act

:huh:

I'll stick to the original criteria for eleven songs, but I won't count Passengers because that's obviously a U2 album. I've aimed to give this tracklist some semblance of cohesion, but not all this material sits perfectly together.

1. Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
4. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?)
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Boomerang II
7. Luminous Times
8. Bass Trap
9. Wild Irish Rose
10. Alex Descends Into Hell

Honourable mentions include, but are not limited to: HMTMKMKM, Electrical Storm, Smile, The Three Sunrises, Lost on a Silent Planet, Saturday Night, Rise Up, A Celebration, North and South of the River, I'm Not Your Baby, and The Dream Is Over (bumped at the last minute when I realised I'd omitted Where Did It All Go Wrong). I would have included 11 O'clock Tick Tock if the studio version were half as good as the live version, and Rowena's Theme if it were a U2 song rather than an Edge solo track.

Walk to the Water should be called Meander to the Water. It plods along and does very little to get excited about.

Regarding your number 10 choice, do you know if there's another version of North and South of The River other than the one that was a Pop era b-side?

I just can't get into that song no many how times I hear it, maybe it's knowing that Christy Moore was involved in the writing of it (I can't stand his music).

You could just lay down and die, it's so beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5V5Fb18k

Let's not ignore the fact that Bono looks like one cool mofo in that performance as well.

It's a crime that there is even ONE list without Your Blue Room. That and the Lady with the Spinning Head are two of my favorite U2 songs of all time.

It's a crime that there is even ONE list without Your Blue Room. That and the Lady with the Spinning Head are two of my favorite U2 songs of all time.

I don't consider YBR to be a non-album song. But it is fantastic.

Regardless of whether you think Passengers = U2 or not, Your Blue Room is simply not a non-album track, because it's on a studio album. They may have inexplicably put it on the B-Sides disc of their Best Of 1990-2000 (Miss Sarajevo was on the "A-Side" disc but was from the same album), but it's not an outtake.

It fact, there was a planned promo single release for the song that fell through. Definitely not a non-album track.

It's possible that U2 thought to place the track on a b-sides disc because it was the b-side of the Staring at the Sun CD release.

I can't help but be curious what Your Blue Room's b-sides would have been if the single had eventuated. U2 singles at that stage still usually had interesting b-sides. Was there more weird shit hanging around from the Passengers sessions?

15 instead of 11:

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Lady With the Spinning Head
Spanish Eyes
Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)
Sweetest Thing
Electrical Storm
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
The Three Sunrises
Invisible
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
The Crystal Ballroom