Best concert film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
We've seen polls for favorite songs and albums, but I haven't seen anything for actually ranking all of the band's concert films to date.

How would you guys rank these concerts? Which is your favorite?

Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky (1984)
Rattle and Hum (1988)
Zoo TV: Live from Sydney (1994)
PopMart: Live from Mexico City (1998)
Elevation 2001: Live from Boston (2001)
U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle (2003)
Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago (2005)
Vertigo: Live from Milan (2006)
Live from Paris (2007)
U2 3D (2008)

P.S. How in the world do you create a poll?

Methinks you have to be a premium member.

Of the ones I have seen, I rank them:

Slane
Rattle & Hum
Vertigo (Chicago)
Zoo TV (Sydney)
Popmart (Mexico City)
3D

Are some of these bootlegs (Milan? Paris?)

Methinks we have done this before...

Zoo TV: Live from Sydney (1994)
Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky (1984)
Rattle and Hum (1988)
PopMart: Live from Mexico City (1998)
Elevation 2001: Live from Boston (2001)
U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle (2003)
Live from Paris (2007)
Vertigo 2005: Live from Chicago (2005)
U2 3D (2008)
Vertigo: Live from Milan (2006)

Methinks you have to be a premium member.

Of the ones I have seen, I rank them:

Slane
Rattle & Hum
Vertigo (Chicago)
Zoo TV (Sydney)
Popmart (Mexico City)
3D

Are some of these bootlegs (Milan? Paris?)

Milan is a 10 song set from U218 CD/DVD set, while Paris is from the 20th anniversary deluxe edition of Joshua Tree.

This may have been done before, but I thought with the recent release of the full version of Red Rocks, this may have changed some people's minds.

My fave will always be Red Rocks, because I actually considered going to that show but didn't. Been kicking myself for that for 25 years. Saw them in Denver two years later for Unforgettable Fire.

2. Vertigo
3. U23D
4. Boston

U23D might eventually reach number one because it's that good, but I've only seen it once.

I might as well throw my rankings up here:

Live at Red Rocks
Zoo TV
U2 Go Home
Elevation
PopMart
Rattle and Hum
Vertigo
U2 3D
Paris
Milan

U2 Go Home-not just the best U2 concert film- it's the best concert film EVER!

Vertigo Chicago- Good performances all around. Bono's voice sounds great! (except for during Elevation) Mysterious Ways, Running to Stand Still, New Years Day- all the performances are good here!

Elevation Boston - Best versions of Stay, Bad, WTSHNN, I Will Follow, The Fly, and Kite (except for the Sydney version of Kite but that's not on DVD!) It just takes a few songs for the band to really get into the groove of things.

PopMart- Bono's voice isn't that good at all here- But the band is probably the best I've seen them play! Plus the visuals are fantastic!

ZooTV- Amazing performances but the bad audio and video quality make it fall down the list a bit.

Milan- It has Miss Sarajevo, the best versions of ISHFWILF, Original of the Species, and Elevation. But it's only 10 tracks long.

Rattle & Hum- Pretty good. But it's hard to get past Bono's 'Kermit Voice', the bad version of 'All Along the Watchtower', and corny performances in the stadium. Helter Skelter, Desire, Van Diemen's land, and seeing BB King just being awesome are great though!

Under A Blood Red Sky- It has some good performances here & there but it's corny, it's kind of boring, and U2 didn't have that many great songs at this time so there were a few dud songs in there.

Paris- Bleh. Just..... Bleh!

Rattle and Hum for the beautiful way it is filmed. The shots are held for more than 1 second and no stupid out of focus and camera shaking shots. The black and white footage in R&H is awesome. Visually it is my favourite concert footage of any bad. It is stark but gorgeous.

chicago's crowd starts to get a little sleepy or disinterested..........and u2 kinda senses it.......the slane dvd is very good. the boston dvd has the fly:drool:

1. UABRS

a good deal of daylight

2. JT Paris
3. RAH

fucking shitloads of daylight

4. Popmart Mexico
5. ZooTV Sydney
6. Vertigo Chicago
7. Elevation Boston
8. U2 3D
9. Vertigo Milan
10. Elevation Slane

The song selection's weak and I just find it to be plain boring, simple as that.

I agree

I think I was elevated out by the time it came out.

It's one of the few concerts I don't think i've actually sat and watched the whole way through.

1. Zoo TV
2. Popmart
3. Boston (fly peformance only)

1. U2 go home - the atmosphere in slane is just incredible and the guys are really rocking out!
2. Zoo TV Sydney - I think here U2 really perfected the Zooropa league of the tour - absolute magic!
3. Boston - Bono's a bit shakey with his voice in some parts but his emotion and the Fly performance at the end really turns it all around for me.
4. Rattle N Hum - some really explosive performances in there, such as ISHFWILF, WTSHNN, WOWY, Pride and SBS.
5. Popmart - again Bono showing some vulnerability here but I feel the songs really carry the emotion well. I think the only thing I don't like about this concert is perhaps the audio is a bit off.
6. Zoo TV live from washington (broadcast - not official release) - seems like there is a lot of tension going on between the band here but it adds to the atmoshpere.
7. U2 Vertigo Chicago - some great stuff at the beginning but it begins to trail off in parts for me and the picture really does let the whole thing down. I would imagine a HD version in blu-ray would really do it some justice.

I haven't seen any of the others yet, like live in paris, UABRS or U2:3D.:|

Slane - firmly #1 for me
Paris JT - currently up there because it's the most recent one I've gotten, maybe it'll make its way down the list after the novelty wears off
Zoo Sydney - this is pretty firm, too
Red Rocks - I still only have a dvd copy transferred from VHS, maybe it'll move up once I get a better quality commercial dvd. It definitely is a great show, though
PopMart Mexico City - I really like this one, too. It could be placed higher, depending on my mood
Vertigo Chicago - I like watching it, but find that I often don't, probably because of the number of shows I went to on the tour, and partly because I'm not a fan of the rapid cuts used in editing it
Rattle and Hum - I've seen this one a billion times, and like BTBS, it needs to be retired for a while
Elevation Boston - I think with this one, I always compare it to Slane, and it comes out lacking
Vertigo Milan - honestly, I think I've only ever watched this one once or twice.

How is the picture on the Paris JT dvd VintagePunk is it any good? I'm a little bit uneasy about purchasing it because the last dvd I bought (Vertigo Chicago) the picture is quite pixelated and also to some degree in the popmart mexico dvd as well - which is quite disappointing.

Paris JT - currently up there because it's the most recent one I've gotten, maybe it'll make its way down the list after the novelty wears off

Red Rocks - I still only have a dvd copy transferred from VHS, maybe it'll move up once I get a better quality commercial dvd. It definitely is a great show, though

Paris JT, is that the one inside the Remastrd JT DVD?
..and RR is great with the new sound, def worth it.

How is the picture on the Paris JT dvd VintagePunk is it any good? I'm a little bit uneasy about purchasing it because the last dvd I bought (Vertigo Chicago) the picture is quite pixelated and also to some degree in the popmart mexico dvd as well - which is quite disappointing.

One of the things that struck me about the Paris show was the clarity and quality of the picture. I found it very, very good. That said, I've never really found the others pixely in any way, but in my non-technologicaly inarticulate way, I'll just say that I found the quality of the Paris one to be superior without being able to express why. It just looks better to me.

I'm not watching on some super-great high definition tv or anything, just on a low-tech flat screen tv. Maybe that makes a difference?

It might, when I watch popmart and chicago on a HDTV LCD it looks quite bad, the others not so much. But I can understand that if you watch these on a CRT TV for example you probably wouldn't notice it.

Back
Top Bottom