Best Bono vocal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
January 10th 1990. The final Lovetown show. His voice is just so 'on' that night. At the start of Edge's solo in Bad he belts out 'All I Want Is You' a few times. So powerful.

Absolutely. The way Bono's vocals roll.....it just blows you away completely. The final 8 Lovetown shows (4 in Dublin, 4 in Rotterdam) are the pinnacle of live U2 for me.

I wish Bono would shut up on this one. He ruins the outro. Just screaming and hollering over an amazing guitar bit. Vocal wankery. It blows.

Wow. I respect your opinion, but I simply cannot disagree more. This is the one time his extra verses really added to the song - truly showing how Bono was "lost in the moment". To say "it blows" is incomprehensible to me.

Love is Blindness, Zoo TV

I've always appreciated the subtlety of this song, both on AB and in concert. As a result, I'm torn on Jack White's version. A part of me loves the almost sheer agony he feels while singing. However, that style reminds me of Bono in the R&H era. That is, while this song was supposedly written during the R&H time, had U2 chosen to release it then, I can imagine Bono singing this like White. Instead, I've always felt the more subdued performance suited this song more - made it more sad.

doctorwho said:
Wow. I respect your opinion, but I simply cannot disagree more. This is the one time his extra verses really added to the song - truly showing how Bono was "lost in the moment". To say "it blows" is incomprehensible to me.

Yeah totally agreed. It's one of my favourite U2 live moments. Incredible.

I agree. It's an amazing version of OTH, it almost makes me cry.

doctorwho said:
I've always appreciated the subtlety of this song, both on AB and in concert. As a result, I'm torn on Jack White's version. A part of me loves the almost sheer agony he feels while singing. However, that style reminds me of Bono in the R&H era. That is, while this song was supposedly written during the R&H time, had U2 chosen to release it then, I can imagine Bono singing this like White. Instead, I've always felt the more subdued performance suited this song more - made it more sad.

These were exactly my thoughts when I heard White's version. But I think I really like it overall. It's totally different, so I like it for different reasons. But to me, the fact that it was written during the Lovetown Tour adds a sort of legitimacy to White's interpretation. He sings is very much like Bono probably would have when the song was first written. I like both versions a lot, even though they're incredibly different. What amazes me is how much Jack White manages to sound like Bono of the late 80s.

Kite is certainly one of his later finest moments if we're talking about recordings and not live shows. Its a shame that the music is very average which holds the song back from that next level for me.

I´m going to publish this in Nature or Science :wink:

:lmao:

Thanks! Never notice that one before, it was recorded pretty low. But you can hear that it is a very high note.
Would have been even more nice if he had hit the note clean without screaming, the C#5's he have hit is very clean :)

:lmao:

Thanks! Never notice that one before, it was recorded pretty low. But you can hear that it is a very high note.
Would have been even more nice if he had hit the note clean without screaming, the C#5's he have hit is very clean :)

I posted the clip in other forum.. is a screamed (that means, non modal) A5 according to one member.
That means that C#5 is still his top full voice note :(

Surprised that Running To Stand Still isn't getting more mentions.

Such tender work, brilliant phrasing.

I just assumed most of us were going for the more epic vocals. :shrug:

I would add Heartland - the lower register in the verses, the vocals in the chorus and some of his best falsetto in the end.

As for softer songs...Promenade.

Bono has a ton of great moments. Some of my favorites are where he sounds like he's just on the edge of giving out.

If I had to choose off the top of my head, I'd say "Bad" is my favorite vocal from him.

Back
Top Bottom