Best Album Survivor Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's some rocket science right there.

Surprised to see Zooropa do so well.

The top five are basically my top five (just switch JT and Zooropa, and TUF and Pop), so I'm happy with that part. Seeing October at the very bottom makes me sad. What is it people hate about that album? Also seeing HTDAAB so low is kind of disheartening. I personally love it.

FWIW, here are the Rateyourmusic.com rankings, which are actually far more representative than ours because there are, minimum, 350 votes, and up to 8,000, depending on the album. They are, of course, compiled by a bunch of U2-detesting hipsters, so keep that in mind:

1. Joshua Tree (3.86)
2. Achtung Baby (3.82)
3. War (3.77)
4. The Unforgettable Fire (3.69)
5. Boy (3.59)
Mwahahaha 6. Passengers (3.44)
7. Rattle and Hum (3.32)
8. Zooropa (3.29)
9. October (3.25)
10. ATYCLB (3.15)
11. Pop (2.99)
12. HTDAAB (2.87)
13. NLOTH (2.86)

Passengers being that high cracks me up, even though I'd probably only have it one slot lower. Obviously the Pop and Zooropa hate bugs the shit out of me, but they have some sanity re: War at least. Great record, should have been higher here. The Boy placement is perfect.

FWIW, here are the Rateyourmusic.com rankings, which are actually far more representative than ours because there are, minimum, 350 votes, and up to 8,000, depending on the album. They are, of course, compiled by a bunch of U2-detesting hipsters, so keep that in mind:

Incorrect.

If these rankings were compiled by a bunch of U2-detesting hipsters, Pop and Zooropa would be much higher. As they are with the U2-detesting hipsters here.

Nick66 said:
Incorrect.

If these rankings were compiled by a bunch of U2-detesting hipsters, Pop and Zooropa would be much higher. As they are with the U2-detesting hipsters here.

Aw, now you're just trying too hard.

1. Joshua Tree (3.86)
2. Achtung Baby (3.82)
3. War (3.77)
4. The Unforgettable Fire (3.69)
5. Boy (3.59)
Mwahahaha 6. Passengers (3.44)
7. Rattle and Hum (3.32)
8. Zooropa (3.29)
9. October (3.25)
10. ATYCLB (3.15)
11. Pop (2.99)
12. HTDAAB (2.87)
13. NLOTH (2.86)

Passengers being that high cracks me up, even though I'd probably only have it one slot lower. Obviously the Pop and Zooropa hate bugs the shit out of me, but they have some sanity re: War at least. Great record, should have been higher here. The Boy placement is perfect.

Well they did get the top 4 right...but that's about it.

They got the top 5 spot-on. After that...you have entered the Twilight Zone.

NLOTH in last place? Come on.

It's partly the "new album problem", i.e. anything released since RYM became popular gets a harsher rating than anything released beforehand. Lots of snap ratings based on one listen, people downloading an album just because they've seen it in the current year's chart and would never have otherwise listened to it, etc. You pretty much have to add at least 0.2-0.3 to the score of any album released from around 2004-05 onwards to get what it would have scored were it an older release.

They are as follows...

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Pop
6. Boy
7 (tie). No Line on the Horizon
7 (tie). War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
12. Original Soundtracks 1
13. October

By comparison, these were the ranks generated by the last Rate the Song series:
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. Rattle and Hum
7. No Line on the Horizon
8. War
9. Boy
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
12. Original Soundtracks 1
13. October

From the last Best Album Survivor...
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. War
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
10. Rattle And Hum
11. October

And from the last Worst Album Survivor, run at roughly the same time as the last Best Album Survivor...
11. October
10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
=8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
=8. Rattle And Hum
7. War
6. Boy
5. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Pop
2. The Joshua Tree
1. Achtung Baby

Make of that as you wish. It will probably be a few days until I can get a Best Song Survivor series going, because there are a lot of little details that I have to work out. Axver and I have been discussing significantly changing some aspects of it.

Interesting to see that the top 5 albums is pretty consistent, even if the order within the 3rd, 4th, and 5th varies.

Incorrect.

Hipsters don't like any post 80's U2 for the most part.

Certainly nothing after Achtung Baby.

Aw man, I saw Nick had returned from his hiatus and I thought that could only mean a Pop "remaster" had been announced.

:(

Why are you trying to hijack this thread with personal attacks? I don't think I said anything to you.

I don't recall coming into one of the (um, many) random music threads you participate in and calling you out there.

Odd.

This is an invite only thread then?
Give it up with the 'personal attacks' crying, you delicate flower you

Back
Top Bottom