Best album opener and closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Opener: Zoo Station.

Closer: Believe it or not, I've warmed up hard core to Wake Up Dead Man as of late.

I don't even think I can choose betweeen A Sort of Homecoming, Streets and Zoo Station for best opener.

And then there's always Zooropa ......

There's no way I can pick a closer, if I can't even pick the opener.

Hard to say. I think you can rate them alone or within the context of the album how well it works. However, I will rate it strictly upon effectiveness as an opener and closer, in the context of the album its from. So which one does that best?

Best overall opener: Streets
Best closer: Love is Blindness or MLK

Best unified opener/closer combo in a given album: I'd have to go Zoo Station and LIB.

Opener: Tie between Zoo Station and Streets

Closer: Tie between MLK and 40

Opener: Streets for sure
Closer: Can't decide. I'd have to go with Love Is Blindness - cause of my bias towards AB - followed closely by All I Want Is You and "40"

Hard to pick, but I'm picking Streets and All I Want Is You (closely followed by Love Is Blindness).

Yeah, damn, now there's absolutely no chance of this thread devolving into a discussion about U2's new beatnik sound and how :edge: foretold it.

Also, fuck Rattle And Hum's sequencing. It's so bad that I forgot All I Want Is You closes that album and, as a result, didn't pick it.

I'm going to rank them, it makes me more comfortable with my decisions.

1. Zoo Station
2. Zooropa
3. Where The Streets Have No Name
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Discotheque
6. A Sort Of Homecoming
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. I Will Follow
9. Gloria
10. Beautiful Day
11. Vertigo
12. Helter Skelter

Streets is the best song here, but if we go by effectiveness as an album opener, it's #3, because Zoo Station and Zooropa are just that effective as album openers.

1. Love Is Blindness
2. All I Want Is You
3. Wake Up Dead Man
4. Mothers Of The Disappeared
5. Cedars Of Lebanon
6. The Wanderer
7. MLK
8. "40"
9. Shadows And Tall Trees
10. Grace
11. Yahweh
12. Is That All

Man, heck of a topic.......I can't pick one. U2 is so good at picking openers and for closer....Wake Up Deadman.

I do like Grace too...:reject:

Streets, although Zooropa comes in a close second. I like the slow progressive chord opening - it's a great way to start an album. Plus lots of critics compared Zooropa to Streets when it first came out for having that similarity.

Best closing song - "40". Both on the album, and in concert.

Back
Top Bottom