Best Album of the Decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icebergy

The Fly
U2 has held the position of releasing one of the best albums in the last 2 decades Jt/AB for the 80s and 90s does U2 now claim the title of holding one of/the best album of the 00s?

Yes.
What's really hard to know is the second place :sexywink:

Well here are some of my favorites of the 2000's...

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
U2 -All That You Can't Leave Behind
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Eno & Byrne - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Tom Petty - Highway Companion
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Fireman - Electric Arguments
Paul McCartney - Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

I haven't heard NLOTH yet, and I know some people will think these are horrible picks. How do you define "greatest" though? I've always found it hard to rank albums according to which is the "greatest". Personally, HTDAAB is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I'd have a hard time calling it the "greatest" U2 album because in order to be considered the "greatest" album, doesn't it have to widespread praise and general acceptance as a "great" album. I don't know...

Too soon to say, for me.

These are some of my favorites of the decade:

Radiohead - Kid A
Keane - Hopes And Fears
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk

Y'all forgot Arcade Fire in those lists!

I'm a big fan of having "favorite" or "perfect" albums, but only if they can coexist with my other "best albums." Is NLOTH, created in the 00s, timeless and one of my favorites? Oh yeah!

Y'all forgot Arcade Fire in those lists!

I'm a big fan of having "favorite" or "perfect" albums, but only if they can coexist with my other "best albums." Is NLOTH, created in the 00s, timeless and one of my favorites? Oh yeah!

Arcade Fire :drool:

Not sure what I'd consider in league with this in the last 9 years...... Nothing immediately coming to mind! :O Tom Waits has done some amazing work, Nick Cave too... but no NLOTH.....

Okay-- eeeemph-- here it goes-- this last album NLOTH-- 'tired'... Bono's lyrics dont speak to masses as they once did.. shush now! I know Shush now your saying! Shush now? Are you kidding me? what the heck is that?
The states are drowning in medicore hip hop..If anyone could save us it's U2.. please please Mag is great and so is MOS-- but UUUHG! I am bummed-- played in U2 tribute band and love them;they have invented a new sound and I LOVE them but ackk!! What happend? Maybe Rock is dead.. :< 3 years from now we will put this with the bottom half of the catalogue.. didnt Bono once say two bad albums and they are done? AYCLB was the last great peice of work.. What is going to happen to music/alt rock? maybe this is how the dead heads felts 15 years earlier?
Most people just say YES I LOVE IT-- because they are excited a new album is here-- with Eno and Lanois.. but how many NEW listeners will be turned on? Everyone says Best band in the World?! I agree; but that band should be able to capture new hearts and souls..
3/4 pistons are firing; but Bono what happened to SOUL and HEART!? Oh ell; atleast I have three songs I reply daily.. I have ven given it two weeks but..ahhhh well... 4more years I guess..

00's are AYCLB

I WANT this album to work-- the critics will love it; only 3 songs will survive (maybe) in their stadium shows..

"most people just say YES I LOVE IT - because they are excited a new album is here"
????

yeah, i don't think so. this is interference. if you look around here long enough you'll see that the opposite is true.

This album is leagues better than HTDAAB, and I actually really liked that record. And as for ATYCLB, that is a great collection of songs, but this is a truly great album.

Well, there's one new fan! O wait you are saying if I look around Interefence I will find people saying they DON'T like it that much.. okay.. we are in agreement--about that AND that HTDAAB was a bit disapointing as well..
I really am happy for you and a bit jealous-- wish I had that kind of enthusiasm about NLOTH... :<

I'd say "hell no" to the general premise of this thread. I think U2 released two of the great albums of the decade in the 1980s (namely UF and JT), but none of their subsequent albums would fit into the category of being great albums of the 1990s or 2000s. But then it's not as if Interference shares my taste much of the time. I'd be much quicker to say albums like Anathema's Judgement or Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream are albums of the 1990s, and Orphaned Land's Mabool or Russian Circles' Station or Agalloch's The Mantle are albums of the 2000s.

No line On the Horizon
Sam's Town
A Rush of blood to the Head
Atyclb
Reveal

There must be another one(s) but i can't remember right now...

1. Beck - Sea Change
2. Radiohead - Kid A
3. Arcade Fire - Funeral
4. Gorillaz - Demon Days
5. Kanye West - Late Registration
6. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
7. The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
8. White Stripes - Elephant
9. Spoon - Girls Can Tell
10. U2 - No Line On The Horizon
11. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
12. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
13. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
14. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
15. Madvillain - Madvillainy
16. My Morning Jacket - Z
17. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning Strike
18. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
19. Coldplay - Parachutes
20. Modest Mouse - The Moon And Antarctica

Something like that anyway.

I'd be much quicker to say albums like Anathema's Judgement or Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream are albums of the 1990s, and Orphaned Land's Mabool or Russian Circles' Station or Agalloch's The Mantle are albums of the 2000s.

Have not heard of ONE of those.

Back
Top Bottom