Best album of 1991 poll (Achtung Baby getting its butt kicked)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung won, but was it really any contest? I love Nirvana and the album 'Nevermind' as much as the next person, but there is no way that it was the absolute best album of 1991.

It seems U2 fans are best in voting as many times as one can. :lol: Still, Achtung deserves to win of course.

for me originality in music stopped with Radiohead's 2000 Kid A. What's really innovating in Pop music these days? MGMT maybe? What is the new sound? it's off topic but i wonder that.

definitely. i mean, what have we had over this last decade? cliched, trite stuff like animal collective? originality in music is certainly dead and buried :up:

Nevermind sounds like shit now. Achtung Baby and Loveless are not only listenable 20 years on, but have in some ways improved.

The people who argue that originality no longer exists make me laugh because they base their claim on popular music, which thrives on the known.

Ten may have been released in 1991, but it didn't take off until well into 1992. this survey sucks.

Yeah, I remember that! Shit, wasn't Jeremy a huge MTV hit but took months or a year for radio to give in and play it?

Speaking of Pearl Jam, if you haven't heard last week's Jay Mohr podcast (Highly recommended), a small part of the conversation was about the differences in going to see Pearl Jam vs. U2 (and a few others like Metallica).

During the discussion, Jay does a spot on Eddie Vedder impression. Brilliant.

Putchanameonit!

Nevermind didn't win a poll like this ? Strange, the one time Nirvana deserves a win.

Achtung Baby is a great album and a career defining one for U2, but honestly not as culturally significant as Nevermind was.

Achtung Baby is a great album and a career defining one for U2, but honestly not as culturally significant as Nevermind was.
That may be true, but the poll is for the best album of 1991, not necessarily the most popular. Achtung Baby is not only the best album of 1991, but one of the best albums of all time.

Popularity doesn't always equal quality. Especially nowadays.

flybabe said:
This deserves to be quote of the year, and possibly the years ahead. :up:

Well gee, I'm flattered. :blush:

But it's completely true. A lot of the stuff on the radio now is pretty mediocre, even the popular stuff. One question always gets me: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE GUITAR?

Well gee, I'm flattered. :blush:

But it's completely true. A lot of the stuff on the radio now is pretty mediocre, even the popular stuff. One question always gets me: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE GUITAR?

They even 'autotune' the damn guitars now, I mean WTF. Music isn't even music anymore, in my opinion. Thank God we have the past. There will always be that handful that seem to stand out from the crowd once in a while, but it's getting to be very scarce.

88130-26709-grampa-simpson_large.jpg

They even 'autotune' the damn guitars now, I mean WTF. Music isn't even music anymore, in my opinion. Thank God we have the past. There will always be that handful that seem to stand out from the crowd once in a while, but it's getting to be very scarce.
It's possible to look further than the top 40.

One question always gets me: WHERE THE FUCK IS THE GUITAR?

The guitar is on the unimaginably shitty alternative rock that rips off bad late 90s grunge that ripped off Pearl Jam F-sides from the early 90s.

So nothing can save us, I'm afraid.

If you've got misty eyed memories of much better music getting played on the radio in the early 90s, then you're absolutely right, that was the case. But since then, it's not 'the music' that has changed or gotten worse. Massive media consolidation in the mid to late 90s ended freedom and risk taking in commercial radio playlists. An album like Achtung Baby (forgetting for a moment that it came from an already established 'hit' making mega-band) today would have none of it's singles on commercial radio. Before, commercial radio could and would play a key part in breaking new/interesting/exciting artists and music, but not any more. They need to be established in one way or another already. Need to prove they're already popular or profitable, or fit a specific obvious mould that guarantees both of those. So, Even Better than the Real Thing would need to be on a soft drink commercial, and One in some soppy tv drama, and thus able to create popularity (and profitability) on their own first. It's only those songs or acts that you're hearing punch through on the odd rare occasion. Something that's caught on first in an almost 'viral' way via advertising or whatever. The vast majority don't punch through, but it certainly doesn't mean they're not there.

Back
Top Bottom