Beautiful Version of MLK - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Beautiful Version of MLK

I think this is best version of MLK live is from the opening concert in Barcelona. Listen to the way bono sings it, very interesting and love how it almost has African quality to the singing. It too bad the song seems to have become more classic in its interpretation as the tour has progressed. As this version was far more interesting because bono was playing with his voice a bit. Love the "thunder - clouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud" part.

Jdelbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:13 PM
yeah, this version tops the Berlin version that I have by far!!!!

Yahweh_OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Listen to the way bono sings it, very interesting and love how it almost has African quality to the singing.
Just wondering, what do you mean by "African quality"? The first line reminded me of a hook you hear in some modern Ethiopian music, except it sounded awful and probably wasn't intentional.

I just don't think this really cuts it compared to earlier renditions. The version from East Rutherford '86 on the UF deluxe DVD, as one easy-go-to example - sure, it's not as experimental, but it doesn't have whatever's going on at :21 in the video you posted. It's perfectly placid and easy. I don't think the song needs to be much else.

No hard feelings!!
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
New Yorker

I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....i dont like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all...
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman View Post
I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....i dont like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all...

Totally disagree..."almost used to whisper it live"....oh so now you prefer a whispering Bono? How the fuck is he shouting in this clip? Just because he sings it more powerfully nowadays compared to past versions from the 80's, doesn't mean he "shouts" now. I seriously don't understand how you call that shouting....it's not even CLOSE to shouting....not even remotely....He just can't win with some of you.
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

I haven't been a big fan of the versions of MLK on this tour.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post

Totally disagree..."almost used to whisper it live"....oh so now you prefer a whispering Bono? How the fuck is he shouting in this clip? Just because he sings it more powerfully nowadays compared to past versions from the 80's, doesn't mean he "shouts" now. I seriously don't understand how you call that shouting....it's not even CLOSE to shouting....not even remotely....He just can't win with some of you.
Wow....so so touchy!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:

Your post needs to lose some weight.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:

I always thought you had a very powerful, erect, pulsating way of posting, and now it's confirmed.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:13 AM
the change in key makes him shout more... and THAT was the problem in the video above, because it was hard for him to "find" the tone
pepokiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepokiss View Post
the change in key makes him shout more... and THAT was the problem in the video above, because it was hard for him to "find" the tone
That's the problem #1 of this version.
Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I always thought you had a very powerful, erect, pulsating way of posting, and now it's confirmed.
Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep......sleeeeeep toniiiiiiiiiiiight....and may your thooouuughtsssssssss.....be confirrrrrmed.

seriously......powerful, erect, pulsating?!?!

Comments like this:

"I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....I don't like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all..."

...just don't make sense to me. Gman perfers the version they were playing 20+ years ago...that's fine, I just can't possibly see how the 360 version is "shit." The comment just has that "00's U2 sucks" vibe to it I guess.
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
The comment just has that "00's U2 sucks" vibe to it I guess.
Well....just goes to show how wide of the mark your intuition is then eh! If you had been fortuante enuff to experience the excellent 80s versions of this song...you would understand what i mean. And i dont mean on youtube or bootlegs!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 10:13 AM
MLK on this tour =

DoctorMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote