Beautiful Version of MLK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I think this is best version of MLK live is from the opening concert in Barcelona. Listen to the way bono sings it, very interesting and love how it almost has African quality to the singing. It too bad the song seems to have become more classic in its interpretation as the tour has progressed. As this version was far more interesting because bono was playing with his voice a bit. Love the "thunder - clouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud" part.

YouTube - MLK - U2 360 - Barcelona june 30, 2009

Listen to the way bono sings it, very interesting and love how it almost has African quality to the singing.

Just wondering, what do you mean by "African quality"? The first line reminded me of a hook you hear in some modern Ethiopian music, except it sounded awful and probably wasn't intentional.

I just don't think this really cuts it compared to earlier renditions. The version from East Rutherford '86 on the UF deluxe DVD, as one easy-go-to example - sure, it's not as experimental, but it doesn't have whatever's going on at :21 in the video you posted. It's perfectly placid and easy. I don't think the song needs to be much else.

No hard feelings!!

I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....i dont like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all...:down:

I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....i dont like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all...:down:

:up:

Totally disagree..."almost used to whisper it live"....oh so now you prefer a whispering Bono? How the fuck is he shouting in this clip? Just because he sings it more powerfully nowadays compared to past versions from the 80's, doesn't mean he "shouts" now. I seriously don't understand how you call that shouting....it's not even CLOSE to shouting....not even remotely....He just can't win with some of you.

Totally disagree..."almost used to whisper it live"....oh so now you prefer a whispering Bono? How the fuck is he shouting in this clip? Just because he sings it more powerfully nowadays compared to past versions from the 80's, doesn't mean he "shouts" now. I seriously don't understand how you call that shouting....it's not even CLOSE to shouting....not even remotely....He just can't win with some of you.
Wow....so so touchy!:huh:

Your post needs to lose some weight.

I always thought you had a very powerful, erect, pulsating way of posting, and now it's confirmed.

the change in key makes him shout more... and THAT was the problem in the video above, because it was hard for him to "find" the tone

I always thought you had a very powerful, erect, pulsating way of posting, and now it's confirmed.

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep......sleeeeeep toniiiiiiiiiiiight....and may your thooouuughtsssssssss.....be confirrrrrmed.

seriously......powerful, erect, pulsating?!?! :lmao: :lmao:

Comments like this:

"I think MLK now is shit. The best performances are long gone. Bono almost used to whisper it live....now he shouts it. Plus....I don't like the backing keyboards either. They have lost the ethereal feel they once had. all in all...:down:"

...just don't make sense to me. Gman perfers the version they were playing 20+ years ago...that's fine, I just can't possibly see how the 360 version is "shit." The comment just has that "00's U2 sucks" vibe to it I guess. :shrug:

The comment just has that "00's U2 sucks" vibe to it I guess. :shrug:

Well....just goes to show how wide of the mark your intuition is then eh! If you had been fortuante enuff to experience the excellent 80s versions of this song...you would understand what i mean. And i dont mean on youtube or bootlegs!

Back
Top Bottom