BBC Radio 1 Leaked Electrical Storm 7 Years Ago Today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
August 25, 2002 was the day BBC Radio 1 leaked an unfinished version of Electrical Storm ahead of the planned release to radio. I don't think U2 ever planned on that demo version actually being a much-loved version of the song much less a lot of peoples' favorite version of the song, but I think it is.

I can't believe it's been 7 years. Time goes too fast.

Wow, that seems like yesterday almost. So much has changed since then....i love that song. i need to go and listen to it now. I remember playing that song for a friend of mine, who is now deceased, and they loved it. Which is a cool thing considering my friend was more into hip hop type music. I guess that song had no boundaries. They really need to play it on this next leg of the tour.

I remember the 1st time listening to that version. I thought it was one of the best songs U2 has ever done. I prefer that version over the other mixes :up:

Oh man, that's been so long.

I have to say one thing.

THANK YOU BBC AND YOUR INCOMPETENCE TO KEEP A DEMO SECRET! :bow:

You gave me my favourite version of this song, and my third favourite U2 song ever. :bow: :bow: :bow:

:love: BBC1 Demo ES

I remember my local radio station playing it on my drive home from work! I was probably fifteen, and new into U2 and I didn't even know there was a song coming out. When my friend and I got into the car, my mom said, "there's a new U2 song next", so we turned it up and Electrical Storm really caught me off guard (it felt different from ATYCLB).

namkcuR, you are correct. Time does go by too fast. I miss those lazy summer days of high school :drool:

Definitely in my top 10 U2 songs ever!

Happy anniversary 'RADIO 1' demo Electrical Storm.

I actually prefer the finished one, but I do like both, and remember hearing this first.

Oh yeah! Can't believe it's been so much. Still my favorite version of the song. If only we could get a pre-FM version of that....

this song is so good that when i think about this decade, while there have been some embarrassing moments, there are gems like this song.

this song is so good that when i think about this decade, while there have been some embarrassing moments, there are gems like this song.

Indeed. It reminds me of Achtung Baby/Pop, and that's a good thing. Imagine where U2 could have gone if they had pursued songs like this after Pop.

i love all of the versions, this song is just so fucking special. They better play it on the upcoming leg of the tour. I might have to bust some heads if they dont. How they havent played it more often is beyond me. Maybe the band doesnt realize what a gem they have there.

My ipod loves me. Every time I put it on random, just on the exact right moment it goes into this version of ES. Always this version first, and always on a great time. :love:

I love this song so much. :love:

I still remember when it leaked out, and still have that version on my computer all these years later. Should give it a listen again sometime soon, as I liked that mix myself.

I remember the day after this song was leaked I had to go to the dentist to get two fillings, which I was not very happy about. The one thing that made it bearable was being able to listen to the newly leaked Electrical Storm over and over on my cd player as they worked on my teeth. It's always been my favorite version of the song; the mix is great and I still to this day can't believe that they didn't include that great lead guitar melody from Edge in the final two mixes.

I remember the day after this song was leaked I had to go to the dentist to get two fillings, which I was not very happy about. The one thing that made it bearable was being able to listen to the newly leaked Electrical Storm over and over on my cd player as they worked on my teeth. It's always been my favorite version of the song; the mix is great and I still to this day can't believe that they didn't include that great lead guitar melody from Edge in the final two mixes.

Luckily they redeemed themselves by including it live

I dislike the fact that U2 made this song as obscure as it is. They chugged out crap like Elevation and Vertigo for their hit singles of the decade instead, of massively amazing songs like this. They should have put ES on Bomb, made it either the lead single or the second single (released a few weeks after Vertigo), and marketed the hell out of it. This song deserves to be well known, and it has hit potential, which is unfortunately a bit rare for well-written songs nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom