Barack Obama used "City Of Blinding Lights" as his introduction song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Sides" aside I hope we can all agree it was a special moment 45 years after MLK Jr. to have a black man nominated for presidency. Civil rights...U2....it's a win-win....no? :wink:

Hearing COBL again made my night, although I had expected it. It's really Barack's main campaign song.

:drool:

I wish Obama wouldn't use U2 music. I don't care if he is a fan either. I don't care for him or his politics. I can't stand listening to him or his wife speak. I am not a McCain supporter either. I wish there were other candidates running. This is another sad election for this country IMO.

Barrack Obama has been sold to this country like Matthew McConaughey. He's a freakin' politician, people. He's not Christ.

If he gets elected, Sunday Bloody Sunday should be his celebration anthem, for every terrorist in the world will be rejoicing.

Wow, it's easy to win over Americans. There was nothing mesmerizing about his speech.
Barack Obama is a celebrity, nothing more. He thinks he represents the American dream, just because black people don't have equal opportunities. "Work hard, it'll all be fair" is no policy, it's just talk. If Bush hadn't invaded Iraq then the democrats would have nothing to go on. The only reason Obama's up there is because of the mistakes he wants to erase; I haven't heard one proactive thing from him.

Barrack Obama has been sold to this country like Matthew McConaughey. He's a freakin' politician, people. He's not Christ.

If he gets elected, Sunday Bloody Sunday should be his celebration anthem, for every terrorist in the world will be rejoicing.

:| All of a sudden your posts make much more sense...

A nuanced political observation.

FOX NEWS much?

Besides, SBS now belongs to the USA, in particular to GW's misguided, arrogant war in Iraq. "I'm so sick of it!"

Just an observation, one I probably shouldn't have made in EYKIW, so I'll be quiet...:reject:

I know going against the Democratic Party makes me a white supremist, racist Nazi Fascist redneck evil fuck....but seriously, what is the observation that you have made. I'm very curious.

A nuanced political observation.

FOX NEWS much?

Besides, SBS now belongs to the USA, in particular to GW's misguided, arrogant war in Iraq. "I'm so sick of it!"

Of course if i was against Obama that would make me a FOX NEWS lover. Now that's a nuanced observation.

There's two parties in the U.S. The Republicans, who are the party of bad ideas...and The Democrats, who are the party of no ideas.

Lewis Black said that.

There's two parties in the U.S. The Republicans, who are the party of bad ideas...and The Democrats, who are the party of no ideas.

Lewis Black said that.

OK, that's pretty good. :wink:

Have a nice weekend.

Please back up your statements please or don't make them... :doh:

Glad Clinton didn't let thousands of American's die on his watch and then attack the wrong country. But hey lets vote for McCain and do Iran next.... :hyper:

I was there too!! It was the most amazing evening. Transcendant and ELECTRIC. We are going to change the world! YES WE CAN!
Obamaspeech001.jpg

Your approach to political issues and music analysis is exactly the same...

Can you expand on that?

As I recall, we've agreed a lot on music in the past.

It's funny, people can call Bush Hitler 24/7 all year long and no one gets defensive...but wow compare Barack to Matthew McCanaughey and suddenly everyones up in arms. That's pretty hilarious.

Please back up your statements please or don't make them... :doh:

Glad Clinton didn't let thousands of American's die on his watch and then attack the wrong country. But hey lets vote for McCain and do Iran next.... :hyper:

Okay, I'll take my best shot.

I guess I can't really prove that Obama isn't Christ. I mean, hey, he did say he'd come again. And according to Malcolm X, Jesus was black. So, who knows. You've got me there.

What else...oh yea, Matthew McCanaughy is a terrible actor who has unjustly been made famous and given a long lasting career. You can argue he is a great actor...maybe he was decent in Dazed In Confused. Alright, you've got me again.

And as for the last part, it's called a prediction...i can't really prove anything that hasn't happened yet...but let me ask you this, which Presidential Candidate would the terrorists rather see win the election?

And thanks for the liberal talking points there at the end. Very original thinking. I guess if you were President you would've flown like Superman and stopped the planes with your bare hands.

Can you expand on that?

As I recall, we've agreed a lot on music in the past.

It's funny, people can call Bush Hitler 24/7 all year long and no one gets defensive...but wow compare Barack to Matthew McCanaughey and suddenly everyones up in arms. That's pretty hilarious.

I had no issue with you comparing Barack to Matthew, I could care less...

It was the ARROGANCE and NARROW MINDEDNESS that you tied Obama with terrorist applauding...

Hopefully you can read the nuance, and I WILL NOT post about this anymore...

And yes we do agree on a lot of music, but when you attack(even though I may agree taste wise) I can't stand your approach.

I had no issue with you comparing Barack to Matthew, I could care less...

It was the ARROGANCE and NARROW MINDEDNESS that you tied Obama with terrorist applauding...

Hopefully you can read the nuance, and I WILL NOT post about this anymore...

And yes we do agree on a lot of music, but when you attack(even though I may agree taste wise) I can't stand your approach.

Well, while we're on the subject of our approaches, I can honestly say that you bother me from time to time. You come across as condescending. It's like you're the professor observing all of us students, chiming in every so often to spread your wisdom, all while calling people out when they have broken one of your laws of etiquette, as if you're the Emily Post of this forum.

Now, this is something i would have never said to you, due to the fact that i like to keep it about the music and issues being discussed, but hey you brought it up.

In closing, I do look forward to plenty more passionate debates with you. :wink:

According to The Times, Bono was there.

Bono fans fill Obama coffers

The presidential hopeful has found just what he's looking for in U2 devotees as they swell his campaign reserves

Times, August 30, 2008

Colin Coyle

ONE is charismatic, plays to packed stadiums and wants to change the world. The other is Bono. Now a group of U2 fans, struck by the parallels between Barack Obama and the Irish rock star, have become one of the US Democratic presidential nominee's most enthusiastic band of supporters.

U2 fans for Obama, a collection of 103 U2 devotees, has raised almost $18,000 (EU12,200) for the presidential hopeful's campaign and organised more than 600 events to date.

The group, whose website and blog are linked to the presidential candidate's official homepage, believe that "since Bono can't run for US president, Obama is the next best thing". Their blog declares that members "see in Obama a progressive Christian who embodies the ideas and sentiments . . . so compelling in U2's music".

The politician is already an avowed fan of the band, recently telling Rolling Stone magazine that U2 is on his iPod play-list. Bono attended the Democratic convention in Denver last week where he heard two U2 tracks, City of Blinding Lights and Beautiful Day, bookend Obama's acceptance speech early on Friday. Beautiful Day was also the musical backdrop a night earlier when Obama introduced Senator Joe Biden, his nominee for vice-president, to the Denver crowd.

The U2 fans now rank as the 10th most active group on Obama's collection of small local fundraisers, modelled on a social networking site. Obama's website, my.barack obama.com, was developed by Chris Hughes, a co-founder of Facebook. It has more than 1m users and hundreds of diverse social networking groups, including Women for Obama, Veterans for Obama and Environmentalists for Obama.

The groups use the website to plan events, set fundraising goals and volunteer to distribute leaflets. Obama hopes to outstrip the Republican election war chest by convincing "a million or so small donors to give less than $100 each".

It is no surprise that fans have drawn an analogy between Obama and U2. On their blog, U2 fans for Obama debate which songs by the band best sum up the politician and wrangle over whether Obama is "even better than the real thing — Bono". One argues that the two men's connection is "intellectual, political and spiritual".

The similarity between Obama and Bono has not gone unnoticed by John McCain, the Republican presidential candidate, who has targeted the Democrat's celebrity image in a series of "attack ads". In Fan Club, a 60-second "spot" screened earlier this month, a woman says Obama is "amazing . . . at the level of Bono".

Rush Limbaugh, a US right-wing chat show host, has accused Obama of plagiarising a speech by Bono. He claimed recently that Obama's Berlin address last month had echoes of the U2 frontman's speech at the 2005 Live 8 concert. Both men used the phrase: "People of the world! This is our moment. This is our time."

Although Obama is the most vocal political admirer of U2, he is not alone in his fandom. Hillary Clinton told the New York Post last year that Beautiful Day was one of the most frequently played songs on her MP3 player. In May 2007 she held an online poll asking supporters to choose her campaign song and included two U2 songs among her six choices, but Celine Dion's You and I won the popular vote.

John Edwards, another candidate for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, used a U2 tune, Pride (In the Name of Love), as his official campaign song and Tony Blair used Beautiful Day as his re-election anthem. In the past the band have said: "We reserve the right to fall in and out with any political party. Mind you, every piece of airplay helps."

McCain has had more trouble than Obama in creating a campaign soundtrack. In February John Mellencamp asked the McCain camp to stop using his songs at rallies and Jackson Browne recently initiated legal proceedings against the McCain campaign for the unauthorised use of his 1970s hit Running on Emptye.

Since the lawsuit, McCain has been using Tina Turner's Simply the Best and Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline, originally written about Caroline Kennedy, the only surviving child of John F Kennedy.

Political anthems

Things Can Only Get Better: A club hit from 1993, the D:Ream song reached new heights after being adopted by new Labour. The song's co-writer, Londonderry-born Peter Cunnah, later admitted having mixed feelings about allowing the song to be used.

Your Kind of Country: Fianna Fail's Seamus Brennan went to the US in 1976 to watch the presidential election and returned with the idea for this campaign song: "Three years of loneliness, that's what I've been through/ When I left school I joined me mates and we all joined the queue."

Don't Stop: Bill Clinton, the baby-boomers' president, chose this song by Fleetwood Mac from 1977's Rumours as his campaign song in 1992. Clinton even succeeded in convincing the estranged band to reform and play at his inaugural ball.

Arise and Follow Charlie: Donie Cassidy's idea, sung by the Wolfe Tones, raised the roof at a succession of Fianna Fail ard fheiseanna in the 1980s, with Haughey leading the rousing chorus.

I won't read too much into that. Obama or the musical director in his camp maybe just like the melody of the intro. If it was the message of the song they were after, then they would have played the full song or at least let Bono start a few lines before letting Obama interrupt him.

...qg

^^ I had my eyes peeled thinking he would show up!

He was way out of the limelight like Oprah. They didn't want to take the spotlight off of Obama's historic moment. Class acts, both of them. I was lucky to have a club level seat and so I had access to the lounge on that level. Pretty swanky. No Bono, but I did see a dude that looked a lot like Ringo Star. I probably saw tons more famous people, but didn't recognize them...

And thanks for the liberal talking points there at the end. Very original thinking. I guess if you were President you would've flown like Superman and stopped the planes with your bare hands.[/b]

Nope, but I would pay attention to immenant threats and have stuck with just Afghanistan. There is a 9/11 report you might want to read sometime if you take the time.

And as for the last part, it's called a prediction...i can't really prove anything that hasn't happened yet...but let me ask you this, which Presidential Candidate would the terrorists rather see win the election?

Why are you even bringing this up? It's an American election! Why would anyone care about who the terrorists would vote for?

I would say they'd pick McCain incidentally as it helps them gather their own support and lessens America's support with their allies. We've seen how welcomed Obama was in Germany, why wouldn't it be in America's interest to have support with our allies against Al Quaeda, Russia, and Iran. Plus McCain like Bush is ignoring Afghanistan and Pakistan which should be the real focus.

Being so hostile and condescending dosen't really dosen't help your argument.. :wave:

I won't read too much into that. Obama or the musical director in his camp maybe just like the melody of the intro. If it was the message of the song they were after, then they would have played the full song or at least let Bono start a few lines before letting Obama interrupt him.

...qg

:yes: Well said :up:

I think it's interesting how all the celebrities backing Obama are taking such low profiles and keeping mum about their support. So what, who cares what politicians celebrities endorse? And IF Bono was in fact at the Convention, if I were him I'd keep a low profile as well. Chances are he'll show up at the Rep Convention too as he's shown up at both political conventions in past so as to not show favoritism which is smart since he's not a US citizen and can't vote anyway.

Could a Bono sighting have been a look-alike though? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom