Awesome U2 Moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never knew Cutting Crew got big enough on the strength of their one song to be touring with The Bangles.

Did you accidentally piss on his boots when you passed in the bathroom?

The Cutting Crew were good enough, i think anyway. Can't really remember back that far.

I didn't piss on his boots. Instead i walked like an Egyptian for several minutes until the whippets wore off. Though same would say they never did...

I had my first and only non-sexual erection due to the excitement of walking into the arena in Pittsburgh for Elevation 01'. My first U2 concert.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

-"Fuck the revolution!", G-L-O-R-I-A in Exit, Bono exhausted resting on Adam at the end of Bad and probably all the Denver shows in Rattle and Hum.

-BTBS+RTSS anywhere, but specially + Dirty Old Town + Times are a'changin + New Year's Day in Live at Point Depot.

-McPhisto making phone calls

-The intro to ZooTV/Zooropa concerts.

Streets from Rattle and Hum is one of my absolute favorite things. The burst into color makes watching the whole thing worth it.

Rattle & Hum is hysterically funny, even the performances on occasion. Never watch it sober.

Last edited:
Rattle & Hum is hysterically funny, even the performances on occasion. Never watch it sober.

I loved it as a teenager and some of the performances are good, but you totally get where the criticism is coming from watching it today.

It's also why Zoo TV is their masterpiece.

Sent from

Opening night of Elevation Tour was just electric from start to finish. When they walked onstage with the lights on, my cheeks almost burst from smiling. When the Fly kicked in we went ballistic.
Closing night in Miami was also an incredible evening.

I was at that show, too! Sarah and I were just talking about that the other day. Edge started playing and about two notes in, Sarah realized what it was and started squeeing, and then one of the friends we were standing with shushed her because Bono was still talking, and Sarah was like "BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN." Good times, man.

Ha, probably. :angry:

:lol: I had a similar experience with the first performance of Bad on the 360 tour (Amsterdam 2009). Suddenly, One was put in the setlist early while it used to be after streets (yes after, the swap was later in the tour when they realised that it was blatantly stupid to have Tutu chant ONE, OOONEEE and have Streets start first). So that already gave me ideas of what would replace it, so after Streets I saw the black Strat Dallas was holding so I knew it had to be Bad already and was freaking out... but the people around me didn't realise that so they were wtfing and got mad at me for spoiling. :uhoh:

Not that it mattered a few seconds later though, we were all crying and singing along to Bad anyway.

alright I have a real contribution.

Watching the clip from the Sky Down doco, where they stumble upon One out of nothing. I'm so glad they released that footage.

U2 has had a lot of "awesome" moments. Not counting the obvious (singles and LPs), I can think of:
- pushing Edge's older brother out of the group
- Island Records deal when Larry was still 18
- American shows in 1981
- 1984/85 touring in general
- The shows at McNichols Sports Arena in 1987
- The Dec. 26th, 1989 show at Dublin
- waiting 3 years to put out a new album and then doing it at just the right time and in just the right manner, in 1991

Hard to choose, but spontaneously I'd say hearing Bad live for the first time at the Rome show in 2010 which was also the last show of that tour leg and quite sentimental, and hearing the raw version of Every Breaking Wave live in my home town, Vienna, in late August 2010, it was quite a cold night, but that was a very special moment. I couldn't believe they actually pulled that unknown song out.

One Tree Hill live @ Point Depot

Please during the MTV awards

Causing absolute mayhem by playing in NY on a driving flatbed Trailer sipping wine and eating pizza. THEN continue to rock under the Brooklyn Bridge afterwards.

All of the band who came to share pizza with fans waiting in line during the 360 tour.

:hmm:

Edit: Every time they still take time to sign , chat and act cool to their fans. Even after so many years of doing it, after so many car-wrecks they must have met.
That's pretty awesome.

A Personal Moment: The intro to COBL kicking in just as the rain was coming down full force during the Minneapolis show in 2011.

A Well-Known Moment: UTEOTW off the Boston DVD.

Bad from R&H. When I was first getting curious about U2, I had my parents buy me the movie (it was 1995 and I was 13.). My dad owned JT and RH on CD, and I "borrowed" my Uncle's cassette of UABRS, and that was my only exposure to them. It was when watching this version of Bad, hearing the song for the first time, that U2 became my favorite band. And they never stopped.

The "Popheart Live" EP. 4 tracks of pure awesome!

Edges solo in Love is blindness Sydney. The moment I realized at 13 years old "holy shit! I wanna play guitar!!"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bad from R&H. When I was first getting curious about U2, I had my parents buy me the movie (it was 1995 and I was 13.). My dad owned JT and RH on CD, and I "borrowed" my Uncle's cassette of UABRS, and that was my only exposure to them. It was when watching this version of Bad, hearing the song for the first time, that U2 became my favorite band. And they never stopped.

:up:
Basically the same in my case, only 5 years earlier and 5 years older.
The moment I mentioned earlier, Bono exhausted at the end of the song resting for half a second on Adam was the moment when I thought "this guy is totally mad!" and sealed the deal on "I, Badexit, take you, U2, to be my lawfully wedded Band..."

Bad from R&H was what I was going to say, too. That moment of rest, whenever he does it, is so gorgeous. You really see how he just gives everything, and how he draws from the others.

"I, Badexit, take you, U2, to be my lawfully wedded Band..."

That's pretty much exactly what happens.

Every time they still take time to sign , chat and act cool to their fans. Even after so many years of doing it, after so many car-wrecks they must have met.
That's pretty awesome.

Yup. They behave more like a band that has just cut its first EP and is peddling it to fans after the show, than a band who has been going for nearly 40 years and has reached stratospheric heights. The fact that they still care enough to cultivate this kind of relationship with their fans shows that they're inherently good, decent people, and that's enough to make me ignore most insignificant career missteps along the way.

WOWY from Rattle and Hum. The subtle guitar Bono plays, Shine Like Stars... still the best performance of that song.

WOWY from the Paris DVD is one of my absolute favorite things. It's got Shine Like Stars AND Love Will Tear Us Apart, plus a made-up Bono verse AND the tear gas situation. Seriously, that may be my favorite live performance of theirs, period.

Back
Top Bottom