Autumnal U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scorpionac

War Child
Are there any U2 songs you associate with fall, or any you find evocative of fall?

For me, it's All I Want is You. I first heard it in the fall, on The Best of 80-90, where it had October tacked on as a bonus track (and obviously October is a "fall" track, lol). And then there's something about the strings and guitar on AIWIY that sounds kind of brittle and chilly to me, like the onset of autumn.

What about you?

To me, fall is strongly associated with all things U2. I saw them live for the first time in the fall, I bought my first U2 albums in the fall, and that's often when they release new material, so fall is U2 time.

I intensely associate Zooropa with autumn because I bought it in October 2002 and tracks like Stay and The First Time have a certain moody, pensive quality to them.

Honestly a lot of U2's material has an autumnal feel for me, since I purchased most albums in the first half of 2003. Often when I listen to Boy, October, or Zooropa in particular I remember sitting in my bedroom in April or May 2002 and watching the clouds go by outside my window as the long Queensland summer finally cooled into autumn and more pleasant weather settled in. Songs like The Electric Co., Gloria, I Threw a Brick, Rejoice, Stay, SDABTO, and Dirty Day are the soundtrack to that time in my life, even if not all of them would have an autumnal vibe for your average listener.

The Unforgettable Fire to me sometimes veers wintry - A Sort of Homecoming for example feels like winter or early spring - but definitely some tracks from there work too. Promenade, Indian Summer Sky, Bad, EPAA, lots of shades of autumn.

Honestly a lot of U2's material has an autumnal feel for me, since I purchased most albums in the first half of 2003. Often when I listen to Boy, October, or Zooropa in particular I remember sitting in my bedroom in April or May 2002 and watching the clouds go by outside my window as the long Queensland summer finally cooled into autumn and more pleasant weather settled in. Songs like The Electric Co., Gloria, I Threw a Brick, Rejoice, Stay, SDABTO, and Dirty Day are the soundtrack to that time in my life, even if not all of them would have an autumnal vibe for your average listener.

The Unforgettable Fire to me sometimes veers wintry - A Sort of Homecoming for example feels like winter or early spring - but definitely some tracks from there work too. Promenade, Indian Summer Sky, Bad, EPAA, lots of shades of autumn.

This post fucked me up until I realized Australia is backwards and fall starts in April

I was wondering how quickly a Northern Hemispherean would reply in confusion.

And autumn begins in March.

(And the chronology error would legit fuck you up. I meant to write "early 2002" in the first sentence.)

I was wondering how quickly a Northern Hemispherean would reply in confusion.

Haha. Yup. We're easily confused up here.

October, of course -- it's right there in the title, and title song :) And it really does have a fallen leaves feel all the way through.

Most autumnal for me is also Unforgettable Fire -- particularly A Sort of Homecoming. No doubt helped by its fall release and all of the associations that go with playing that record (and I DO mean vinyl record) nonstop for the whole end of 1984.

If I had to pick one season to associate with U2 it would be fall.

I suppose it depends on how autumn feels in certain parts of the world.

I mean if you are, like me, from the northern isles of Scotland (Shetland and Orkney) then you don't get much of an autumn. One week all the leaves are still on the few trees we have and the next week they're all on the ground, just all the same shade of lifeless brown. Day turns into night at the click of a finger seemingly. Certainly as far a cry from your upstate New York type beauty and explosion of colour during the next month or so where it looks like a celebration compared to a funeral. What I wouldn't give to see those colours in that part of the world!

Rowena's Theme by The Edge has a moody, autumnal feel to it. Has that Celtic end of life/darkened day feel about it that seems apt for this time of year where I am.

A Sort of Homecoming brings up images of snow swept Highland moorland so as suggested above that's a wintry one for me as is, despite the title, 4th of July.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how autumn feels in certain parts of the world.

I mean if you are, like me, from the northern isles of Scotland (Shetland and Orkney) then you don't get much of an autumn. One week all the leaves are still on the few trees we have and the next week they're all on the ground, just all the same shade of lifeless brown. Day turns into night at the click of a finger seemingly. Certainly as far a cry from your upstate New York type beauty and explosion of colour during the next month or so where it looks like a celebration compared to a funeral. What I wouldn't give to see those colours in that part of the world!

Rowena's Theme by The Edge has a moody, autumnal feel to it. Has that Celtic end of life/darkened day feel about it that seems apt for this time of year where I am.

A Sort of Homecoming brings up images of snow swept Highland moorland so as suggested above that's a wintry one for me as is, despite the title, 4th of July.

Great post.

Rowena's Theme definitely gives me that autumnal vibe too, makes me think of the gradual shortening of the day when I lived in New Zealand, or the certain quality of light you get in parts of Australia at that time of year even though the weather's still mild.

I had this apartment in Brisbane where the quality of light in my bedroom on autumn mornings was unbelievable. Basically everything I listened to then, I still associate with autumn. Most of it's not U2 (Agalloch's Pale Folklore and Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third are the two most prominent albums from that period), but I was definitely listening to the Captive soundtrack and The Unforgettable Fire a lot back then too, and it fit so well.

Great post.

Rowena's Theme definitely gives me that autumnal vibe too, makes me think of the gradual shortening of the day when I lived in New Zealand, or the certain quality of light you get in parts of Australia at that time of year even though the weather's still mild.

I had this apartment in Brisbane where the quality of light in my bedroom on autumn mornings was unbelievable. Basically everything I listened to then, I still associate with autumn. Most of it's not U2 (Agalloch's Pale Folklore and Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third are the two most prominent albums from that period), but I was definitely listening to the Captive soundtrack and The Unforgettable Fire a lot back then too, and it fit so well.

Yeah, I'd love to experience autumn down where you are from. I think similar to many regions in Europe like Scotland, Norway, Ireland that it would have this natural visual appeal that would make you so easily associate the music you're listening to.

Aside from the autumnal feel, the music really fits a remote, natural setting so whether or not we have autumn where I'm from (and we don't!) that remoteness or sense of facing down nature's elements is always there. I don't know what part of New Zealand you're from but parts of that country seems like a perfect part of the world to really capture songs that are exposed to all of nature's harshest and most beautiful elements. I love The Unforgettable Fire and the Captive Soundtrack to transport you to these regions in your head and I just wish U2 could recapture that sense of place within their music be it the elemental/natural feel of The Unforgettable Fire or the more urban/dystopian feels of Zooropa. I think that's why those two albums are in my top 3 U2 albums of all time.

Last edited:
I strongly associate the Best of 80-90 B-sides disc with autumn. Back in 1998 when it was released, I had never heard 90% of those songs, so it was like getting a new U2 album. For a school fundraiser, I had to deliver a bunch of phone books out in the middle of nowhere. It was a perfect autumn Ohio day, and I was traveling down all these backroads I had never been down before. It was the perfect scenario to soak in songs like "Walk to the water", "Spanish Eyes", etc.

I also associate the release of ATYCLB strongly with autumn. I don't think I've ever been that excited about the release of anything! I bought it that morning, and then I had to wait ALL DAY at work until I could listen to it. I just kept reading the album booklet over and over.

I intensely associate Zooropa with autumn because I bought it in October 2002 and tracks like Stay and The First Time have a certain moody, pensive quality to them.

Funny, I would say the only U2 album that shouldn't be associated with autumn is Zooropa. It came out in middle of the hot summer. Had a very 'bright' feeling to me, though that's the only perspective of it I've ever known.

As I think about the tone of it...yeah, I can see the sorta cool or even slightly cold weather aspect of it. Crazy how it took 24 years to even consider it that way. Though I'll always think of it as the one big prevalent album (to me) right after I graduated high school.

I heard Numb for the first time, not even knowing it was U2, in my best friend's car. Literally minutes after he told me he heard a new U2 song and I didn't believe him. Didn't believe him when he said "I think this is it". Didn't sound like Bono...

That was a hot summer day. My friend has been gone 10 years. Killed in a car accident. Thanks for sharing your POV, it caused me to dive back in the memory bank and recall a memory with my friend I hadn't thought about in ages.

Yeah, I'd love to experience autumn down where you are from. I think similar to many regions in Europe like Scotland, Norway, Ireland that it would have this natural visual appeal that would make you so easily associate the music you're listening to.

Aside from the autumnal feel, the music really fits a remote, natural setting so whether or not we have autumn where I'm from (and we don't!) that remoteness or sense of facing down nature's elements is always there. I don't know what part of New Zealand you're from but parts of that country seems like a perfect part of the world to really capture songs that are exposed to all of nature's harshest and most beautiful elements. I love The Unforgettable Fire and the Captive Soundtrack to transport you to these regions in your head and I just wish U2 could recapture that sense of place within their music be it the elemental/natural feel of The Unforgettable Fire or the more urban/dystopian feels of Zooropa. I think that's why those two albums are in my top 3 U2 albums of all time.

In subtropical Queensland, autumn is really more the transition from the wet to the dry season, much more subtle than you get in the southern states or New Zealand where you actually have leaves changing colour. But there's such great morning light. Back in those days I was an early riser and I did so much writing in the morning, it was an inspiring time of day - the moment I moved to Melbourne I turned into a night owl, I loved the tranquility of the small hours.

I'm originally from near Wellington, New Zealand, but my mother's side of the family is from Otago - so, not just the isolation in common with your part of the world, but the Scottish heritage too. This song, one of the great classics of New Zealand music, sounds just like autumn or early winter down there - and the video filmed on the Otago Peninsula outside Dunedin complements that:

No accident you can put Pink Frost in a playlist next to almost anything from UF and they sound good together. I definitely wish U2 would bring back that sense of place - it's why Fez is one of the few recent U2 songs that I really rate.

Same here, I bought Zooropa in early November 2001 and associate it with dark, drizzly fall nights.

Lots of U2 songs connect to a specific time of the year/weather for me. The Unforgettable Fire is the first thing that jumped out at me. The atmospherics bring me to an evening walking around eighth after the first heavy snow where all traffic sounds are dull and the air is brisk and clean.

One Tree Hill.

it's a funny thing, associating songs to seasons. but it's definitely something i've always done.

for me, spring is "subterranean homesick alien". not really sure why, but it reminds me of those first few beautiful spring mornings after yet another particularly brutal canadian winter.

For me around Christmas / New Year are strongly associated with Lovetown shows. There's the obvious link where some of the key shows of that tour were recorded at the same time of year, but also the mix of passionate and contemplative songs and performances just fits.

In subtropical Queensland, autumn is really more the transition from the wet to the dry season, much more subtle than you get in the southern states or New Zealand where you actually have leaves changing colour. But there's such great morning light. Back in those days I was an early riser and I did so much writing in the morning, it was an inspiring time of day - the moment I moved to Melbourne I turned into a night owl, I loved the tranquility of the small hours.

I'm originally from near Wellington, New Zealand, but my mother's side of the family is from Otago - so, not just the isolation in common with your part of the world, but the Scottish heritage too. This song, one of the great classics of New Zealand music, sounds just like autumn or early winter down there - and the video filmed on the Otago Peninsula outside Dunedin complements that:

No accident you can put Pink Frost in a playlist next to almost anything from UF and they sound good together. I definitely wish U2 would bring back that sense of place - it's why Fez is one of the few recent U2 songs that I really rate.

Beautiful guitar work. Very Edge like in it's atmosphere and effect. Very subtle song and the Otago Peninsula really drives home the sense of space and atmosphere to the song.

It reminded me ever so slightly of Here Comes The Rain Again which the video for was shot entirely in Orkney. For this reason one of the biggest songs of the 80s ends up being one of the most personal for me which is a strange feeling. I think the music and the video similarly is very apt for this time of year onwards for the next 5 months, (even though it was filmed in December). Got all the right atmospheres. Though I don't envy Annie Lennox though for filming most of this in just a nightgown!

And just to add to my earlier suggestion of Rowena's Theme I actually think Walk to the Water is a great autumnal U2 song. Those descending cascading keys at the start could be water streaming down a burn but could just as much be a swarm of leaves falling to the ground! Beautiful song!

For me around Christmas / New Year are strongly associated with Lovetown shows. There's the obvious link where some of the key shows of that tour were recorded at the same time of year, but also the mix of passionate and contemplative songs and performances just fits.

That's a cool link, makes sense.

Beautiful guitar work. Very Edge like in it's atmosphere and effect. Very subtle song and the Otago Peninsula really drives home the sense of space and atmosphere to the song.

It reminded me ever so slightly of Here Comes The Rain Again which the video for was shot entirely in Orkney. For this reason one of the biggest songs of the 80s ends up being one of the most personal for me which is a strange feeling. I think the music and the video similarly is very apt for this time of year onwards for the next 5 months, (even though it was filmed in December). Got all the right atmospheres. Though I don't envy Annie Lennox though for filming most of this in just a nightgown!

Bloody hell, the bit where she walks through the stream must have been bracing. And yeah if you hadn't told me the video was from December, I would've assumed it was autumnal. My impression of your part of the world is that in December it's so bitter and wet or snowy that you wouldn't be going outside at all!

Cool song!

:up:

I strongly associate the Best of 80-90 B-sides disc with autumn. Back in 1998 when it was released, I had never heard 90% of those songs, so it was like getting a new U2 album. For a school fundraiser, I had to deliver a bunch of phone books out in the middle of nowhere. It was a perfect autumn Ohio day, and I was traveling down all these backroads I had never been down before. It was the perfect scenario to soak in songs like "Walk to the water", "Spanish Eyes", etc.

I also associate the release of ATYCLB strongly with autumn. I don't think I've ever been that excited about the release of anything! I bought it that morning, and then I had to wait ALL DAY at work until I could listen to it. I just kept reading the album booklet over and over.

I love stories like this!!
Off the top of my head, I remember it being the fall when I bought Desire.
I had been a “fan” for a few years. But kind of a little young to be a full blown fan. Pretty much listening to U2 with my older brothers. Lots of War and UF.
I remember laying in the back seat of our huge clunker car, age 12, hearing a radio station playing With or Without You “from the upcoming U2 album”.
I remember being at an all day picnic/ fair type thing in the summer of 87 and they had these huge speakers on the ground playing music.
I heard the sound of Streets and I layed down in front of the speaker and closed my eyes. They played the entire album and I didn’t move.

But Desire was my first U2 purchase at a music store. A tape in a cheap little thin cardboard sleeve. My brother and I listened to it over and over. I still love the b-side, Hallelujah Here She Comes. I would play it on this tiny Casio keyboard and sing along. Good fall U2 memories :)

That's a cool link, makes sense.

Bloody hell, the bit where she walks through the stream must have been bracing. And yeah if you hadn't told me the video was from December, I would've assumed it was autumnal. My impression of your part of the world is that in December it's so bitter and wet or snowy that you wouldn't be going outside at all!

:up:

Exactly! And that's why I should commute Down Under for this time of year!

Back
Top Bottom