ATYCLB Vs HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
Although HTDAAB won grammy for album of the year, I recently sat
and listened to ATYCLB and actually liked it much more than HTDAAB.
Most of the songs on ATYCLB have a soothing effect on me and
i think the production value is also top- notch. It was robbed the album of the year but paved the way for HTDAAB to win that--- in my opinion.

Do you agree with me? Please give your opinion.

At the time, I thought HTDAAB, but now I think it's either ATYCLB or a tie; however, I do really enjoy "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species" and, on ATYCLB, I only enjoy "Stuck in a Moment" to the same degree; Stuck has far better lyrics.

Both lame albums to me, but HTDAAB is worse, in some ways, for ripping off U2 melodic hooks; there's lots of "Electrical Storm" riffs throughout; "COBL" is a blatant attempt at "Streets", "Crumbs" is too much like "Walk On", "All Because of You" is an atrocious version of the great "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and is as unacceptable as "Vertigo".

I always thought ATYCLB was a stronger album, the band seemed more focused with a much clearer idea of what they wanted to achieve. Their vision for HTDAAB appeared less defined, I think they were treading water by this point.

The songs seem more inspired too, the creative process feels much more natural and organic, some of the stuff on HTDAAB I find a little forced and contrived. Pop has cast a long shadow over the band, they're still kind of dealing with the fall-out even now and I hope the extra time in the studio doesn't effect the immediacy and energy of the new songs.

I prefer HTDAAB because I love very much Sometimes, LAPOE, City, AMAAW, and Yahweh. I don't dislike any songs even though ABOY is by far a let down...

In ATYCLB, Stuck is too "commercial pop" for me, I hate Wild Honey, I don't like Peace on Earth and Grace....

HTDAAB > ATYCLB

i never realy got ATYCLB untill recently but it realy is a soul album - and in that sense in new ground for U2 in some a way. Look at the early live preformances before the elevation tour got started Bono was trying to be a soul singer (oviously his voice was scratchy but there was more to it than that). IN that sense I respect what they were trying to do with ATYCLB. - Even though the songs on bomb are better they have less stlye and are not as unique or quirky as ATYCLB

ATYCLB is a better cohesive album where all the songs fit together. BD, WO, Kite, and IALW are some damn fine songs.

HTDAAB has a collection of better songs, but they don't really fit together. The 1st 6 songs of the album don't really flow at all.

Vertigo
MD
Sometimes
LPOE
COBL
ABOY

:huh:

To me the A-side of ATYCLB is one of U2's strongest while its B-side is U2's worst. Though the A-side to HTTAAB is not the worst it just doesn't flow, the B-side is one of U2's best.

Not a huge fan of either, but ATYCLB is superior. It has Beautiful Day, In A Little While and The Ground Beneath Her Feet, three of my fave U2 songs. HTDAAB doesn't have any songs that would have a chance of getting into my U2 top 20, and any album with Miracle Drug on it isn't going to score highly for me.

I like them both equally. I think that ATYCLB has soothing songs such as Grace, Peace On Earth and IALW, but HTDAAB does as well, like One Step Closer, A Man and A Woman, Yahweah. They also have songs that are great live and are Greastest Hits. I like them both kinda like JT and AB. We also have to remember that HTDAAB is a personal album for Bono and ATYCLB helped a lot after 9/11.

ATYCLB is one of the band's best albums; HTDAAB is one of their worst; really there is no competition between them one is a brilliant album the other is a great collection of songs that plays like a greatest hits.

To me the A-side of ATYCLB is one of U2's strongest while its B-side is U2's worst. Though the A-side to HTTAAB is not the worst it just doesn't flow, the B-side is one of U2's best.

Bomb > ATYCLB.

All That... has aged like a great wine. It still keep getting better and better as the years go by. When the Bomb first came out, it really grabbed me and I was certain that it was a better album. Not so anymore. I think I felt this way about a year after its release.
It is easy to listen to All That... and sense that focus from the band that they really felt that they had to prove something at that point in time. The "classic coke" Edge on the Beautiful Day outro really said unashamingly and proud that this is the sound of U2. And this was the sound that the world was ready to embrace (again) in a new century.
All That... still possesses the best U2 song ever written this decade so far with Kite. It just has that epic sound that gives off a spiritual-like raw power that make U2 the best at what they do.

HTDAAB is a great collection of songs, but proves to be less than the sum of its parts, while ATYCLB is more coherent but the songs are weaker. Neither are bad, but neither are masterpieces. I tend to prefer Bomb, but ATYCLB works for certain moods.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is a record that defines a period, and a sound of U2. Bomb is too derivative on the whole despite having some great records.

I can't wait to see what they pick for The Best Of 2000-2010. I'm guessing they'll have to use all the non-album tracks [The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Window In The Skies, The Saints Are Coming, Electrical Storm (again?), and The Hands That Built America (again?)] at some point, whether on the proper or b-side disc. :hmm:

I can't wait to see what they pick for The Best Of 2000-2010. I'm guessing they'll have to use all the non-album tracks [The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, Window In The Skies, The Saints Are Coming, Electrical Storm (again?), and The Hands That Built America (again?)] at some point, whether on the proper or b-side disc. :hmm:

Plus, they've already used Beautiful Day and Stuck which, though I love BD, really sunk the 1990's best of. It really took something away from that set. Stupid move on their part.

Plus, they've already used Beautiful Day and Stuck which, though I love BD, really sunk the 1990's best of. It really took something away from that set. Stupid move on their part.

They'll probaby reuse both songs, though. What could have taken the four spots used up by 2000s songs (BD, Stuck, ES, and THTBA)? Why, Last Night On Earth, The Fly, a new mix of Dirty Day, and Lemon.

I like both albums, both of them have tracks that I really enjoy... :drool:

Stuck
BD
WO
Kite
NY
TGBHF
WILATW
Elevation

All very good songs...:up:

For HTDAAB I like
Vertigo (don't kill me) :reject:
COBL
Sometimes
Crumbs
OOTS
MD

:hyper:

I'm definitely leaning towards attyclub at the moment. Although it's more 'poppy', I think there was a lot more of Bono pouring his heart and soul into the lyrics (save Elevation), even if they came off a bit cheesy at times, and that makes a decent bit of difference. Hutdab sounds pretty forced at times, although I don't mind the songs individually (I can even stand ABOY, and I really like One Step Closer), it just doesn't up to being a really good album. Although COBL is the best song they've made this decade.

Also, TGBHF > Fast Cars by a huge enough margin that it practically makes Attyclub the better album by itself.

Both albums are in the basement of the band's discography. I think Bomb is their worst album by miles though.

Breaking down the albums by different categories you may notice a pattern.

Bono: ATYCLB
Edge: Bomb
Adam: ?
Larry: Bomb
Best songs: Bomb
Worst songs: Bomb
Most potential: Bomb
Bigger disappointment: Bomb
Best singles: Bomb
Worst singles: Bomb
Songs with the most potential: Bomb
Most disappointing songs: Bomb
Production: ATYCLB
Tracklist: ATYCLB

ATYCLB is a better album by almost default. Bomb is so mixed and uneven. It is made even worse considering what tracks were left off. Fast Cars, Native Son and Mercy are their three best songs of this decade in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom