atu2 poll: 40% of U2 fans are idiots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This place is by far the fastest for news. Specifically new album news.
Both times we had 'beach clips' it took the internetz 2-3 days to catch up.

that's pretty much the reason I'm here.

I've also had no problems buying/selling tour tickets on here too.

This place can be very cliquish...dare I say, hiveish, and downright vicious a lot of the times.

I remember when I first joined I innocently made a casual observation that the press release announcing the Achtung Baby reissue made no mention of a remaster. I speculated (accurately, as it turns out), that this was probably a pretty good clue that there was not going to be a remaster, at least in the way the other releases were remastered, and that at most they'd make it louder.

What followed was a vicious, pack like attack on me by a number of long-time members here who basically called me an idiot for even suggesting that U2 wouldn't do a full remaster of AB. Naturally as someone only interested in peace and civil dialogue, always kept my responses fact-based and polite. Nonetheless, the personal attacks, name calling and wishes for my untimely demise from many on here continued for months and I multiple threads. So that was my "welcome" to Interference.

Curiously, after the record was released and it was not, in fact, a remaster, most of these people either stopped talking about it or engaged in embarrassing attempts to redefine what they said or what the definition of "remaster" is. Some people even commented that Edge was wrong when he said the record wasn't remastered. And, of course, the personal attacks continued by people who couldn't begin to admit they were wrong. By the time it was all over, if I recall correctly there were even a few bannings and suspensions out of the whole thing.

Having said that, while @U2 is probably a little more polite, and a more attractive website, this place is certainly a lot more entertaining.

More polite, yes. With less stupid people and less prone to pointless internet fights, no.

I've been a member of this forum for about 7 years and despite many of the pointless arguments, it's the best community I've been a part of. Other forums are either too limited in conversation or far, far too vicious for me to be comfortable.

Even though I mostly post in B&C nowadays, I still check the EYKIW every day. Lots of great times I've had in this forum!

The funny thing is the most trusted U2 member is the one that speaks the least about new U2 music.

50 % trust Larry? That's great. It's not that difficult to trust or believe someone who hardly ever speaks a word.

That's what I don't understand, either. When was the last time Larry said anything about new U2 music? I voted for Adam, because Larry never says anything, Edge is too vague, and Bono... well... Adam doesn't say much about new albums compared to Bono, but when he does, he's very level-headed and doesn't try to hype it up.

That's why I don't really feel comfortable here. I do like this forum, but I'm afraid to talk to people. Not trying to sound insulting towards the posters here, just saying.

Bust it out anyway. Anyone who'll give you shit for talking about music you like is rather double douche. That's who music snobs are, music is usually 2nd to them.

And you can't let it stop you. Cause it actually makes you way better than them. Cause you're doing it right.

Ya, just post. Have a good time. What's the worst that can happen? People will probably think you're a decent person anyway

I can say...in my 11 yrs on this site...i have only ever had to deal with one bawbag. Funnily enuff, at the time...i had about 10-15 emails from members telling me they thought the person involved was a complete knobhead too :p

I don't want to slag atu2, especially given my position at a certain other fansite ... but I do think they really need to let their forum loosen up and be a bit less sanitised.

I find it hilarious that a number of people considered somewhat blind U2 apologists on Interference have managed to be reprimanded or banned for being overly controversial on atu2.

I find it hilarious that a number of people considered somewhat blind U2 apologists on Interference have managed to be reprimanded or banned for being overly controversial on atu2.
since Interference is (hopefully) the only place where you are considered a blind U2 apologist if you don't reckon the band's output post 1998 is an embarrassment to the band's legacy, that's somewhat less crazy than it sounds

I tried being a regular poster/reader over on @U2 for a while, but it just didn't stick. I find it less hostile than this place for the most part, but I was also surprised that it seemed like there are more posters over there who seem to just be "done" with U2.

People comment here sometimes like "jeez, do you even LIKE U2?" but that question seems to be more deserved over there.

That wasn't at all phrased well, but I'm eating lunch at my desk in a hurry.

But it was extremely important that I answer this topic anyway. :wink:

Poll Results: U2 Fans Don't Trust Bono on New Album News

Sometimes I think the people over there are nicer, more well-adjusted people than we are. If we conducted this poll over here, 90% of the vote would go to "are you fucking kidding?"

I choose to be encouraged by that. Look how many new fans of U2 there are? Because, they couldn't be older fans and still believe Bono right?

As far as forums go, this place may be a wretched hive of sum and villainy, but it's home for me. All forums I've been to have cliques, but for some weird reason I've felt more welcome here than anywhere else. And most importantly, I've made REAL LIFE friends here. So yeah.

I find @U2 somewhat secluded with a lot of teenagers who flood up the main forums with a lot of useless threads.

Real debate and discussion are more welcomed here at Interference.

I have to agree with corianderstem on the previous page- @U2 forums seem to have a lot more negativity, more threads like "I've lost my U2 mojo." I just don't understand that. I'm terribly sorry, but perhaps you can listen to some other bands and find a new favorite? And then go post on their sites and quit being a downer to everyone else?

The same thing happens with Coldplaying, it's meant to be a Coldplay forum but it's full of Radiohead fans who hate Coldplay and think Radiohead is better than Coldplay is every way possible.

I honestly wish I understood what it was about Radiohead. I only enjoy one album (The Bends). The rest... I just don't get it.

Wait a second... this isn't the Coldplay thread.

I have to agree with corianderstem on the previous page- @U2 forums seem to have a lot more negativity, more threads like "I've lost my U2 mojo." I just don't understand that. I'm terribly sorry, but perhaps you can listen to some other bands and find a new favorite? And then go post on their sites and quit being a downer to everyone else?

That's just the nature of the beast...you'll find that phenomenon on any fan or genre site. And people are more likely to have negative feelings towards things they are, or at least once were, passionate about.

This has been an interesting thread...I've very much enjoyed reading it.

That's just the nature of the beast...you'll find that phenomenon on any fan or genre site. And people are more likely to have negative feelings towards things they are, or at least once were, passionate about.

Oh, agreed. I just thought it was funny/surprising/interesting that Interference wasn't the worst offender in that respect.

I used to go to the @U2 forum, but I was also coming here and using the old Zootopia. I decided that maybe I should cut back. Congrats, Interference, I chose you. :|

:wink:

I find @U2 somewhat secluded with a lot of teenagers who flood up the main forums with a lot of useless threads.

Real debate and discussion are more welcomed here at Interference.

Unless you go against what the majority thinks, then you're a troll!

I used to go to the @U2 forum, but I was also coming here and using the old Zootopia. I decided that maybe I should cut back. Congrats, Interference, I chose you. :|

:wink:

:up:

I enjoy my time playing on various sites, but I don't have the time for U2.com's forums and @U2's forums, etc. And I've been a fan for a long time, so I know some of the bad blood that exists (and maybe still does).

So I decided to stay on this blue board. Yay. :|

Back
Top Bottom