Atmopshere of memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
You are 10 years old living with your parents, one day you buy your first U2 record it is JT or AB. You think that the album is nice and the more you listen the more you like it.

18-22 years later when you listen to JT/AB you still think it is the greatest but probaly not ONLY by the music(without knowing it...).
When you listen to it alot of memorys come up in your head, it can be a feeling, colour... wich you had when you lived home with your parents. Lets say that first time you heard EBTTRT you had just got your first videogame and where very lucky, first time you kissed a girl you played One, or one time when you where angry you just played Acrobat to show how angry you where...
That creates an atmosphere to the songs wich you will probaly forever feel the whole life when you listen to the songs. Delete all those memories wich creates this happy/sad/angry athmosphere and you probaly would maybe think other things about your favorite record.

Well in 2009 you are older and new memories dosnt caught that easy like it do when you are 8-15 years old(because there are so much happening with your feelings/hormones...) and for the first time listen to new album NLOTH it might be more flat for you compared to JT/AB. Well in 2019 you have probaly cry/laught/get upset and under that period listend to songs on NLOTH. You will probaly have a whole different view on it in 2019. It might be one of your favorite album or your worst.

I can't tell if NLOTH is their best, so far my favorite album is AB. But alot of things are going to happend in my life in the comming years: marriage, house, children. And this happend in the 1-3 years when I listend to NLOTH alot. Maybe NLOTH will get an great atmosphere?
Ask me in 10 years about this album. It is to early for me to say that this album is one of their best or not. I feel the same about the songs on NLOTH now as I thought when I first heard the songs on AB or HTDAAB when I first heard them, with a critic eye. For an example I didnt thought that there where something special about Bad, UTEOTW, LIB, Acrobat, Zooropa album, OOTS... Well now they are some of my favorites. I think it is wrong to judge the new album and it songs after a week. It is like review a movie without seeing to whole of it. The songs that you dont like now can be your favorites later in your life because of so many listenings or memories.

Most of us are shakyn our head to old people who says "it was better in the old time", well we are all working like that.

This is the reason why you can't get that atmosphere that was in the 70s/80s music, it dosnt matter if you make song today and make it sound exactly like those songs in 70s/80s. It dosnt have the atmosphere of memories.

Nostalgia has an effect but I didn't like a lot of U2 albums when I was really young. The albums grew on me. I'll always remember this album because it's so good.

Y

I can't tell if NLOTH is their best, so far my favorite album is AB. But alot of things are going to happend in my life in the comming years: marriage, house, children. And this happend in the 1-3 years when I listend to NLOTH alot. Maybe NLOTH will get an great atmosphere?
Ask me in 10 years about this album. It is to early for me to say that this album is one of their best or not. I feel the same about the songs on NLOTH now as I thought when I first heard the songs on AB or HTDAAB when I first heard them, with a critic eye. For an example I didnt thought that there where something special about Bad, UTEOTW, LIB, Acrobat, Zooropa album, OOTS... Well now they are some of my favorites. I think it is wrong to judge the new album and it songs after a week. It is like review a movie without seeing to whole of it. The songs that you dont like now can be your favorites later in your life because of so many listenings or memories.

Most of us are shakyn our head to old people who says "it was better in the old time", well we are all working like that.

This is the reason why you can't get that atmosphere that was in the 70s/80s music, it dosnt matter if you make song today and make it sound exactly like those songs in 70s/80s. It dosnt have the atmosphere of memories.

i have thought about this a lot lately. i was 11 when i bought the joshua tree, 16 with achtung baby.

i got married right after atyclb, it was the soundtrack to my engagement, backpacking across europe and being a newlywed. those songs have so much wrapped up in them in terms of huge life changes, and wonderful memories.

bomb was the soundtrack to the birth of my first child. many of those songs are huge because of that. one step closer, is one of my all time favorite u2 songs and it has a lot to do with the memories tied to it.

i agree with what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense to me.

There are three moments that I remember about being a U2 fan above all else:

1) At 13, feeling as though I had been simultaneously punched in the gut and kicked in the teeth the first time I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday on my friend's boom box. Duran Duran this was not.

2) At 17, hearing WOWY on my car radio (on the local top 40 pop station of all places) and nearly driving off the road after the first verse. In my mind, it's U2's most enduring song. Only "One" comes close to providing as impactful of an emotional whallop for me.

3) At 22, watching the ZooTV concert (Pizzas for Everybody in Detroit) 12th row center and walking out a fundamentally changed person. "It's Your World. You Can Change It." Easily the best $75 I've ever spent.

Back
Top Bottom