Argentina and my U2 connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2BROTHR

Mirror Ball Man 2.0
So I went to Argentina for a week for my March Break. It is a week long holiday that I get as a teacher in Toronto. So the wife and I decided to meet some other friends (who were vacationing there) in Buenos Aries. I've never flown 11 hours before....nor have I ever been to South America.

Little did I know.....my trip would have a major U2 connection.

For starters. The ad that would play a ton on the TV in the apartment we rented.

[youtube]Cluz0WtYOXo[/youtube]

Yup....a U2 Phone made by Motorola.

And then of course the huge posters everywhere...yup...that's me...Mr. Happy.

n512545446_6217549_1857761.jpg

n512545446_6217550_8335669.jpg

In the mall...the promo for the album....sorry for the blurry picture.

n512545446_6216579_5944701.jpg

But the best of all.....we went to a place called La Boca. While we were site seeing, my friends (who tried to keep it a secret) showed me in their guide book a restaurant where Bono has eaten at! I told them we MUST go. They agreed and took me to this restaurant that has been family owned for 70 years.

n512545446_6217491_5168770.jpg

Inside...there are a ton of pictures of celebs who have eaten there.......and of course.....we had a huge lunch.....and then I found it. I took a picture of a picture.

Bono....Larry....1998.....El Obrero. What a great plan by my friends to take us there. Fantastico!

n512545446_6216629_6043448.jpg

n512545446_6216630_498529.jpg

South Americans r intense U2 fans from what I hear...

Great pics! Love random U2 connections!

I'm glad you had such a great time in my city. :)

For that ad there was a casting of U2 fans who had to tell some personal story related to U2, but they had to be aged 17-30. I guess that us the oldies would have probably had many interesting U2 stories too - but the truth is that the U2 stories were a pretext and what was really important was the target audience for the mobile which is exactly 17-30. :|

Regarding El Obrero: as you must have noticed, the restaurant is in a run down area of the city - lots of factories - and it always was a sort of joint where factory workers would go for lunch. Apparently Wim Wenders had been to El Obrero (I don't know how he ended up there) during a visit to Buenos Aires and recommended that Bono go there when he came here. After Bono & Larry went there in 1998, El Obrero in fact became a trendy place and it's usual to see expensive cars parked outside and the "beautiful" people having a meal there.

So cool Ultraviolet7 that it is your city. We were there for a week and we had fun. I also managed to hit Pacha and Crobar :)

The tour book we had said that it was DANGEROUS for us to go off the trail and wander outside of La Boca. While looking for El Obrero.....it was kinda sketchy. Gotta admit...I got a lot of looks while I was in Argentina. Looks of curiosity I guess.....being a large black dude.

I wish I was there one more week so I could see Radiohead in BsAs. I told a woman that I had seen Radiohead in Montreal and Toronto and she freaked out! I told her about me seeing U2 and meeting them and she almost died.

Your city was absolutely fantastic!

So cool Ultraviolet7 that it is your city. We were there for a week and we had fun. I also managed to hit Pacha and Crobar :)

The tour book we had said that it was DANGEROUS for us to go off the trail and wander outside of La Boca. While looking for El Obrero.....it was kinda sketchy. Gotta admit...I got a lot of looks while I was in Argentina. Looks of curiosity I guess.....being a large black dude.

I wish I was there one more week so I could see Radiohead in BsAs. I told a woman that I had seen Radiohead in Montreal and Toronto and she freaked out! I told her about me seeing U2 and meeting them and she almost died.

Your city was absolutely fantastic!

Pacha and Crobar are hot, but I've never been to either myself. Not my scene, you see, dance to me is 70s/80s disco! :lol: Besides that, it's not that usual over here for "rock" people to mix with "dance" people.

Yes, indeed it is dangerous to wander off the trail in certain areas of the city - crime in this city is rampant - and tourists are a preferred target. Yes, I'm sure you got looks here - there are almost no black people among the locals and besides that, even if there is much more tolerance for diversity than there used to be, many people still pay too much attention to what others do or look like. I've always hated that - but sadly it's a national habit.

Well, I can understand how the woman freaked out about Radiohead - they've never been here before, and as for U2 you have been to more dates than they actually ever did in this country. The first time U2 came down here was in 98 - we never got to see many international artists till the 90s. Besides that it's not that usual for us to go abroad to see concerts because it is way too expensive.

South America have the best crowds, they are all into it, absolutely everyone. :up:

South America have the best crowds, they are all into it, absolutely everyone. :up:

I know, thank you. :wink:
I just want one thing from Bono if they come to Brazil in 2010: please, don't say Brazil will win the World Cup! Every time Bono says that, Brazil doesn't win the World Cup. First 98, then 2006... C'mon, football here is serious business. :wink:

I know, thank you. :wink:
I just want one thing from Bono if they come to Brazil in 2010: please, don't say Brazil will win the World Cup! Every time Bono says that, Brazil doesn't win the World Cup. First 98, then 2006... C'mon, football here is serious business. :wink:

2010 goes to a South American team no doubt, but this time I think it'll go further south than the land of verdeamarelha...and if it does it remains there for good :wink:

2010 goes to a South American team no doubt, but this time I think it'll go further south than the land of verdeamarelha...and if it does it remains there for good :wink:

:lol:
Ok, where? Uruguay? Chile? Because Argentina won't win... NO WAY! :wink:
About Argentina. Buenos Aires is such an incredible city, the people there love rock, even more than the brazilian people actually, especially U2. It's always a great place to be if you love music and literature. Recoleta is a really welcoming quarter. And the people there love brazilian music, Vinicius de Moraes etc. Bariloche is also great, I had a great time there! :up:

:lol:
Because Argentina won't win... NO WAY! :wink:

:lol: Is Ronaldinho back in form?

About Argentina. Buenos Aires is such an incredible city, the people there love rock, even more than the brazilian people actually, especially U2. It's always a great place to be if you love music and literature. Recoleta is a really welcoming quarter. And the people there love brazilian music, Vinicius de Moraes etc. Bariloche is also great, I had a great time there! :up:

You say people here love rock, which is true and "especially" U2, which I'm not so sure of. I know there are many people who love U2 here, sadly I never found a single one among the many people I've met in the more than 25 years I've been a fan of this band.

Brazilians love Buenos Aires & Bariloche and we love Brazil (personally I'm a Rio de Janeiro fan) - maybe we should swap countries. :wink:

:lol: Is Ronaldinho back in form?
What Ronaldinho? The fat one or the ugly one? Ok, both aren't good looking... :lol: You know, Ronaldo is playing in Corinthians, a brazilian club, he's playing quite good, but I don't think he's able to wear the canarinho t-shirt anymore. And if Ronaldinho, the Barcelona's one, plays 50% of the football he knows, we will be HEXA. :wink:

You say people here love rock, which is true and "especially" U2, which I'm not so sure of. I know there are many people who love U2 here, sadly I never found a single one among the many people I've met in the more than 25 years I've been a fan of this band.

Brazilians love Buenos Aires & Bariloche and we love Brazil (personally I'm a Rio de Janeiro fan) - maybe we should swap countries. :wink:

I could see people wearing U2 t-shirts all over the place, cars with the Vertigo Tour logo, U2 was in the television all the time. Ah, and when I was going to Bariloche I noticed one guy was listening to Pride on his MP3 player, and talking animately with his friend about the Vertigo Tour... :applaud:
And about Rio, you know, it's not fair... Rio is the "Cidade Maravilhosa", I can't swap it! :heart: :D

What Ronaldinho? The fat one or the ugly one? Ok, both aren't good looking... :lol: You know, Ronaldo is playing in Corinthians, a brazilian club, he's playing quite good, but I don't think he's able to wear the canarinho t-shirt anymore. And if Ronaldinho, the Barcelona's one, plays 50% of the football he knows, we will be HEXA. :wink:

Not the fat one, he's a bit over the hill, isn't he? :lol: The other one is really good, perhaps the fact that he doesn't go to the World Cup as the next big thing will help him. In 2006 the pressure seemed too much for him. While in fact, though being Argentine, I am really an Italy supporter, azzurra is going nowhere in the next tournament so I'll obviously back "la Seleccion". I have faith in the "shorty trio" Messi, Agüero & Tevez... :hyper:

I could see people wearing U2 t-shirts all over the place, cars with the Vertigo Tour logo, U2 was in the television all the time. Ah, and when I was going to Bariloche I noticed one guy was listening to Pride on his MP3 player, and talking animately with his friend about the Vertigo Tour... :applaud:

Tell me where they are!

I know there are River Plate supporters that like U2. There is always a U2 banner at Estadio Monumental when River Plate plays. :)

205hinchada.jpg

As a side note, fortunately Bono got a River Plate shirt from Enzo Francescoli last time he came here.

bonoyenzo27lc.jpg

It would make me sick to see him in a Boca Jrs getup :barf:

And about Rio, you know, it's not fair... Rio is the "Cidade Maravilhosa", I can't swap it! :heart: :D

No, if it was mine I wouldn't either. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom