Are U2 really the "biggest band" in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
I was reading an article in this months Q magazine. It was about AC/DC. In the article, it sed AC/DC have outsold u2 by a comfortable 30 million albums. So i got to thinking, on what grounds are u2 often touted as the biggest band on the planet?

If by "biggest" you mean "fattest" well then, yeah, they are the fattest band in the world. As long as Bono's around. Dude needs to lay off the jelly donuts.

I would say U2 can be considered “the biggest band on the planet” based on 3 criteria:

1 - Relevance
2 - Album Sales
3 - Ticket Sales

When you add these three factors together you get your magic number...

4- Concert Performance

U2 are such a unique band when it comes to relevance. As much as many around dog ATYCLB & HTDAAB, U2 is still making relevant music. That alone is something alot of bands there age cant compete with. The rock n roll formula is:

-Make a record
-Promote the record and play the songs live

Bands in the U2 category aren't even making relevant records or records at all anymore. Its just a greatest hits tour or reuion of some sort. U2 has us salivating over the new album and I'm sure they'll turn some heads when the new single comes out. And unlike the rest U2 will be ready to go with there 7-10 new live songs in the cannon.

I never understood all those millions and millions of sold records that so many media always number like peanuts when they talk about this or that band...............Where comes this from? singles? cd's? vynils?.............:scratch:
How can be a comment that wrong by claiming a band "big" relying it to sold records, because this can't be taken as the only factor. So, if you mean, great songs, many sold records, great tours, 30 years around with never a change of a member, great relationships with "fans", great activism, great family lovers, and great shitload of money owners..........then there's no doubt that U2 is the biggest band in the world

4- Concert Performance

U2 are such a unique band when it comes to relevance. As much as many around dog ATYCLB & HTDAAB, U2 is still making relevant music. That alone is something alot of bands there age cant compete with. The rock n roll formula is:

-Make a record
-Promote the record and play the songs live

Bands in the U2 category aren't even making relevant records or records at all anymore. Its just a greatest hits tour or reuion of some sort. U2 has us salivating over the new album and I'm sure they'll turn some heads when the new single comes out. And unlike the rest U2 will be ready to go with there 7-10 new live songs in the cannon.

Unless you don't consider them in the U2 "category," I think Pearl Jam fans, including myself, would strongly disagree with your latter statements. Obviously, Pearl Jam has fallen out of the true mainstream (IMO for the better!) However, that is not the only citerion for "relevance." Pearl Jam concerts sell out worldwide within twenty minutes with the focus of the first half of the shows on 7-10 songs from their new album...and the rest a glorious celebration of old and middle material with a heavy dose of covers. In a completely different style than Bono, Eddie gets his fan base, young and old, to think about current events, etc. True, none of the members of Pearl Jam have much of a celebrity presence anymore (if ever) or have a grammy presence. But relevance can be measured in so many other ways.

AC/DC has been around much longer then U2. They still know how to pack in the fans however and could sell out almost any stadium you put them in so they would be a challenger for the "biggest band in the world" title.

One of the things I can say is U2 is one of if not the most hated band in the world and has been for quite a long time. What makes up for it is that they are also one of the most loved bands in the world as well and the hardcore fan following never seems to go away which has been good for thier career longevity. Rolling Stones can be argued to be a bigger band then U2 as well. Metallica even is a possible competitor for that title. Having said that it doesnt really matter to me as U2s music is the music that connects with me, even if they were an unknown band it would be a pleasure to know and listen to them.

I never understood all those millions and millions of sold records that so many media always number like peanuts when they talk about this or that band...............Where comes this from? singles? cd's? vynils?.............:scratch:
How can be a comment that wrong by claiming a band "big" relying it to sold records, because this can't be taken as the only factor. So, if you mean, great songs, many sold records, great tours, 30 years around with never a change of a member, great relationships with "fans", great activism, great family lovers, and great shitload of money owners..........then there's no doubt that U2 is the biggest band in the world

:up:

I DO have no doubt THEY ARE !!!

Why do people hate U2 so much? I never really understood that... I mean, one thing is to really don't care about their music but why the hate?? :huh: there's a lot of bands that I don't like (musically) but that's no reason to hate them... It's just my personal tastes...

Ah well, that font of all knowledge aka Noel Gallagher has provided the answer in todays Irish Independent where he implies that U2 are the biggest band..

Still Mr angry - Features, Day and Night - Independent.ie

He retains a fascination with the U2 machine, its size and longevity. "For about eight months, we were as big as them," he says. "But we didn't do the sort of things that keep you that big. For instance, we never played the game in America and we would have been really huge if we had. But I don't regret it -- it's too f***ing corporate over there.

....He says he has no regrets. "If we were to do it all again, I don't think we would do anything differently. "We wanted to enjoy it -- it's hard work being in the biggest band on the world."

Actually he's very complimentary about U2 and goes on to say:

On U2: "I f***king love U2 and I always have done -- I love the size of that band. Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny that U2 have written some great f***ing songs. People will not accept that Bono is sincere -- in this cynical age, they think he's really just a c***. But he's not"

Unless you don't consider them in the U2 "category," I think Pearl Jam fans, including myself, would strongly disagree with your latter statements. Obviously, Pearl Jam has fallen out of the true mainstream (IMO for the better!) However, that is not the only citerion for "relevance." Pearl Jam concerts sell out worldwide within twenty minutes with the focus of the first half of the shows on 7-10 songs from their new album...and the rest a glorious celebration of old and middle material with a heavy dose of covers. In a completely different style than Bono, Eddie gets his fan base, young and old, to think about current events, etc. True, none of the members of Pearl Jam have much of a celebrity presence anymore (if ever) or have a grammy presence. But relevance can be measured in so many other ways.

I met bands like The Police, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, AC/DC, The Eagles, etc. Bands that are so glorified by the mainstream when they tour that don’t put out relevant music anymore.

I agree about Pearl Jam. They’ve been doing what they do best for many years and from what I know put out great music.

As much hype U2 receives they still act as the same band they were many years ago. And I think give back by having bands like they were when first starting off opening up for them.

These 4 year breaks aren’t help though…

Relevance is completely subjective so let's just take that out of the equation.

Now, define how you are measuring "biggest band", is it by record sales in a given period ? Tour grosses in a given period (an artifact of pricing) ? , tour attendance in a given period ? Or is it in their history ?

With their #1 (or soon to be #1) albums and large tours, by the time U2 releases their next album it's likely the biggest band in the world over the previous say 12 months or so would be between Coldplay, AC/DC, Metallica, Queen (+Paul Rodgers) maybe even Slipknot, The Cure, REM. Linkin Park.

If it's all-time and just including Sales, they aren't in the same league as AC/DC, Queen, The Stones,

Relevance is completely subjective so let's just take that out of the equation.

Now, define how you are measuring "biggest band", is it by record sales in a given period ? Tour grosses in a given period (an artifact of pricing) ? , tour attendance in a given period ? Or is it in their history ?

With their #1 (or soon to be #1) albums and large tours, by the time U2 releases their next album it's likely the biggest band in the world over the previous say 12 months or so would be between Coldplay, AC/DC, Metallica, Queen (+Paul Rodgers) maybe even Slipknot, The Cure, REM. Linkin Park.

If it's all-time and just including Sales, they aren't in the same league as AC/DC, Queen, The Stones,

Well of course when people say "U2 is the biggest band in the world" they aren't referring to all time sales...The Stones are waay older than U2, so are Queen and AC/DC...they've had more time to sell these albums...eventually U2 will catch up to them and maybe even surpass them...

But saying "U2 is the biggest band in the world" is referring to the present time...The Stones are washed up, U2 is still kicking some major ass....that's the difference.

I would describe "biggest band" as

a: Being around
b: Record Sales
c: Ticket Sales

a+b+c= Biggest band. I cant think of any other way to judge it.

I have investigaed AC/DC a bit, and discovored they basically released nearly twice as many albums and were about about 10 yrs before u2. So that helps boost the figures.

"For about eight months, we were as big as them," he says. "But we didn't do the sort of things that keep you that big. For instance, we never played the game in America and we would have been really huge if we had. But I don't regret it -- it's too f***ing corporate over there.

In other words: "Pfft. We didn't want to be big in America anyway. Nyah!"

Rob33;5510737. said:
But saying "U2 is the biggest band in the world" is referring to the present time...The Stones are washed up, U2 is still kicking some major ass....that's the difference.

Excuse me, but I can't understand such statement. What means present time? That a whole history gets flushed down the toilet, or what? What you made in the past has no meaning anymore? So, in 10 years we will have the same opinions between U2 and Coldplay? Rolling Stones are around since almost a half century, you can't say they're washed up.........boy, it's 50 years that they're making music! U2 became and remained U2 after 30 years, if they are what they are now is thanx to all that which has been made in the past..........

On another hand, I think that all these competitions getting made over who's the best or who's the biggest are frankly very weak. Every band has his own history. The Edge once stated that he didn't join U2 for the success, but only for the music. So, that's it. A musician, who wakes up suddenly at 3 in the morning with a melody in his head, leaves his bed and runs towards his instrument to record it, is already the best and the biggest in the world. There is (except stupid or drunken ones) no musician who would ever claim himself as the best. These games are just left to the great scientists of Rolling Stone, Kerrang and co. who make polls like: who's the best guitar player in the world? vote now: Steve Lukather, Steve Vai or The Edge..............Oh Yeah!.......................:doh:
Then, what the poll says, that's it! And people believe it, because Rolling Stone stated it!...............................:mad:
It's like: "who has the hugest sexual organ.........."
Bollox

Well, I look at it like this:

They are definitely one of the biggest bands in the world; maybe the biggest (I don't know the sales figures, etc.) and they deserve it because they are THE BEST band in the world. That's good enough for me.

*Although, being one of the biggest bands does make it difficult when release day comes around and by the time you can make it to a local Best Buy or whatever music store you purchase from, they are sold out or very close to sold out of the new U2 product. UABRS CD/DVD edition was sold out when I got there on Tuesday. Luckily, I only wanted the DVD version, anyway. However, this does make me nervous for whenever the new album comes out. I may have to take a day off of work just to make sure I get a copy.

i'm a big pj fan and have been since they started.

as much as i love them, and their live shows- they feel very much like a nostalgia act to me now. much more so than u2. their last three albums (to me) are so far below their other work, i don't go to hear their new songs at all. the last few albums have had a couple of good songs each, where as i pretty much love u2's last 3 albums. u2 also has the record sales, and hits to back up their current relevance, unlike pj.

not bashing pj, and will go see them whenever they are around- but it won't be to hear their new stuff.

oh, and i don't see how anyone can compare ev with bono as far as activism. ev, likes to whine and complain a lot- but i'm not aware of much that he does outside of the occassional benefit show.

i'm a big pj fan and have been since they started.

as much as i love them, and their live shows- they feel very much like a nostalgia act to me now. much more so than u2. their last three albums (to me) are so far below their other work, i don't go to hear their new songs at all. the last few albums have had a couple of good songs each, where as i pretty much love u2's last 3 albums. u2 also has the record sales, and hits to back up their current relevance, unlike pj.

not bashing pj, and will go see them whenever they are around- but it won't be to hear their new stuff.

oh, and i don't see how anyone can compare ev with bono as far as activism. ev, likes to whine and complain a lot- but i'm not aware of much that he does outside of the occassional benefit show.

I hear what you are saying. Although I disagree with you on the nostalgia aspect, I think comparing PJ and U2 is like comparing apples and oranges...they are just very different for a variety of reasons. I was super surprised at the end of 2006 with the U2/PJ hookup. I can see edge and adam getting along well with the members of PJ but Bono,well...Bono just being really irritating to the members of PJ. But no, I was not comparing Eddie and Bono's respective activism, they are definitely not comparable. But don't sell Eddie short...although he is not the in-your-face type, he has a lot of "politicalness" about him, and usually presents it in a very deep way at PJ shows...especially in election years. I've seen some powerful stuff from PJ over the years.

The Stones are washed up, U2 is still kicking some major ass....that's the difference.

I don't care for them, but the Stones can still bring it live from what I hear, hardly washed up.

HTDAAB kicked as much ass as a one-legged man.....

I would describe "biggest band" as

a: Being around
b: Record Sales
c: Ticket Sales

a+b+c= Biggest band. I cant think of any other way to judge it.

I have investigaed AC/DC a bit, and discovored they basically released nearly twice as many albums and were about about 10 yrs before u2. So that helps boost the figures.

That's why when I was putting up other bands as candidates, I was talking about a finite slice of time, not an entire career.

Over the last 12 months for example, U2 has NOT been the biggest band in the world, or even in Dublin /South of France probably....one of the biggest names maybe...

Back
Top Bottom