Are u2 really still THE biggest band in the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple.
REM, Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Guns N Roses, Oasis, The Who, Smashing Pumpkins, Et. al.
All are hugely popular and successful bands. You know what else they all have in common? Line-up changes, absolute album FLOPS, poor ticket and album sales, etc.
Then there is this little band from Ireland -
U2 - Bono, Larry, Edge, & Adam. All 4 original members.
30 Years. Backlash be damned, they've stayed together, and stuck it out.
They sell millions of albums, and play to millions of people. Was popmart a failure? Not to me, I saw 2 of the 3 shows in Chicago. NLOTH has no hit singles? Maybe not, but it does have UC and MOS. It's all relative.
They are our favorite band. Their music actually MEANS something to us.
We have an emotional attachment and don't want anyone slagging the band.
But even if they're not the biggest, they're probably still the most important, and what matters other than that? :wave:

:bow:

Is the concept of "biggest band in the world" even relevant anymore in this fractionated, interconnected global society anyway?...! Honest! Who needs one of those anymore?

hee Hee!

i think U2 defies comparison to any other band.

i mean that as a value-free judgment. there's simply never been a band in their position.

U2 are the biggest brand, but there's little to no excitement around them anymore. They are a touring monster, but their releases create no ripples (Sales, yes. Critical thumbs up in some circles, yes. Daggy industry awards, yes, but lets be honest, it's been 15+ years since there's been any real excitement around U2's music).

Excitement? How exactly do you measure "excitement"?

Most people I know are just as excited about the band now as they were 20 years ago.

Kings of Leon have the biggest momentum (or had, they're kind of in the 'off' cycle between albums now aren't they?). I think they took a turn for the very dull on Only by Night, but it certainly blew them right up. If whatever comes next from them is both genuinely good while still highly commercialy viable, then they'll go another level. That they are where the excitement and momentum is at the moment is undeniable.

Again, define momentum, or excitement? How are you measuring this. How do you know it is "undeniable"?

U2 sellout the Rose Bowl in Pasadena to a record 96,000 people and that is not a sign of momentum or excitement?

Kings Of Leon struggle to fill one or two arena shows in the Los Angeles area and thats a sign of "excitement and momentum"?

Coldplay are probably the safest steady investment. They've built a very large, very solid, very loyal fanbase.

If that is the case, why are they unable to fill stadiums in most markets on the planet?

Yet, U2 is selling out stadiums with 60% of the material being played from the last 3 albums, 2000-2009.

Many of Radiohead's shows at amptitheaters in 2008 failed to sellout, even though tickets were as low as $30 dollars and there were only a total of 25,000 tickets available.

U2's DC area show played to 84,754 people at FEDEX Field grossing 6.7 million dollars, while Radiohead struggled to fill the Nissan Pavilion in the same area with 23,000 people and grossed less than 1 million dollars.

Just relaying what i've observed and heard. Either there's a lot of closet U2 fans out there or everyones just a bit too cynical around the NY/NJ area to like U2. The closest i get to hearing something positive about U2 is "they used to be good."

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 43

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,811,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 3,037,000
4. Michael Jackson Thriller 3,029,000
5. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,784,000
6. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,762,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,714,000
8. Eminem Relapse 2,638,000
9. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,470,000
10. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,466,000
11. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,265,000
12. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,223,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,946,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

U2 360 TOUR: TOTAL STATS TO DATE

ATTENDANCE: 2,708,207

Average Attendance: 71,269
Average Ticket Price: $101.91

Key stats here.

For an album that is considered a commercial disappointed due to failure of it's singles to capture the minds of the masses, NLOTH has done exceptionally well. A critical point of comparison here is with Green Day's new album. Green Day might have rivalled U2 as the biggest band in the world a few years back with their American Idiot album. Their follow up has also had a lukewarm reception, and U2's similarly regarded album has still outsold it by a million copies.

Extraordinary.

Black Eyed Peas are the biggest rival here. While "The END" is unlikely to recieve anywhere near the critical acclaim U2 are gonna recieve, there is no doubting how massive they are at the moment. I Gotta Feeling will probably go down as the pop song of the year. But they are purely that, PoP.

The remarkable thing about U2 is that they are supernova on both the commercial and the critical scale. To achieve both is ridiculous. Few artists do that, it's downright Beatlesque.

Coldplay yes. But almost nobody (young people) cares about Radiohead. They only know Karma Police, Paranoid android and Street Spirit.

that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. "young people" can't stand U2. Radiohead and Coldplay to them are what U2 was young people in the 1980s. Radiohead are regarded by young people as making the best album of the 90s (OK computer) AND of the 00s (Kid A).

And as long as the Stones are around they are the biggest band in the world. They've had more hits than any active band, and can sell out any venue in the world as many times as they want. When the Stones quit, then U2 could lay that claim. But I don't think the were EVER the biggest band in the world. In the late 80s and early 90s it was Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode. Mid 90s it was Pearl Jam and Oasis. Then it was Creed, Limp Bizkit, Chili Peppers...never mind Shania, Celine, Spice Girls, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Britney, New Kids, Eminem, Jay Z, Matchbox 20, Garth Brooks...but none could ever top the Stones.

It's simple.
REM, Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Guns N Roses, Oasis, The Who, Smashing Pumpkins, Et. al.
All are hugely popular and successful bands. You know what else they all have in common? Line-up changes, absolute album FLOPS, poor ticket and album sales, etc.
Then there is this little band from Ireland -
U2 - Bono, Larry, Edge, & Adam. All 4 original members.
30 Years. Backlash be damned, they've stayed together, and stuck it out.
They sell millions of albums, and play to millions of people. Was popmart a failure? Not to me, I saw 2 of the 3 shows in Chicago. NLOTH has no hit singles? Maybe not, but it does have UC and MOS. It's all relative.
They are our favorite band. Their music actually MEANS something to us.
We have an emotional attachment and don't want anyone slagging the band.
But even if they're not the biggest, they're probably still the most important, and what matters other than that? :wave:

:)

I find anyone that thinks they can just speak for "young people" completely laughable...

That's why i put in quotes. But really, U2 don't have a young fanbase. Radiohead's is a bit younger, Coldplay younger still, just because they're younger bands. As a young person, I feel I can say that Radiohead and Coldplay are both bigger than U2 among my peers. A large number of my classmates, aquaintences and friends either went or wanted to see Radiohead and/or Coldplay live. I only know one person who wanted to see U2, and they did.

Age has a lot to do with it, of course... We don't like rock stars to age, period, simple as that, it's stupid human nature. When I was in high school I found the Rolling Stones to be ridiculous, but I would never be obtuse enough to say they didn't have a young fanbase.

That's why i put in quotes. But really, U2 don't have a young fanbase. Radiohead's is a bit younger, Coldplay younger still, just because they're younger bands. As a young person, I feel I can say that Radiohead and Coldplay are both bigger than U2 among my peers. A large number of my classmates, aquaintences and friends either went or wanted to see Radiohead and/or Coldplay live. I only know one person who wanted to see U2, and they did.

So "young" people have poor taste in music. Thats not a surprise.:wink:

But who ever likes Radiohead, there are not very many of them, young or old at least in North America. Many of the Radiohead shows last year at venues with capacities of just 20,000 to 25,000 failed to sellout, despite low ticket prices. Their older albums were never big sellers even before the music industry began to crash.

Their most popular album, OK Computer, has only sold 3 million copies in the United States after 12 years.

Coldplay is getting bigger, but the demand to see them in concert is only about equal to what the demand was to see U2 on the Unforgettable Fire Tour back in 1985 when U2 had never had a top 10 hit or album in the USA.

I think when Neilsgov said that almost nobody (young people) cares about radiohead he was saying that only young people care about radiohead. Which isn't really true. Anyway, this young folks stuff is neither here no there...back to the debate!

I forgot to mention Madonna and Michael Jackson and George Michael and Metallica being bigger than U2. And Fucking Phil feceschomper Collins. Fuck him. I hate that asshole. Him and the guy in Simply Red, who I believe had the biggest selling album in England one year...dicknose.

Just relaying what i've observed and heard. Either there's a lot of closet U2 fans out there or everyones just a bit too cynical around the NY/NJ area to like U2. The closest i get to hearing something positive about U2 is "they used to be good."

Out of the 20 million plus people in the NY/NJ area, how many of them have you actually spoken even one word to?

This is not something you would be able to see or make an assessment about based on your own personal observations.

The better way to tell is to look at what most people buy in the NY/NJ area in terms of concert tickets and albums. Its hard to get access to individual album sales figures for just a metropolitan area, but concert statistics for any area get posted in Billboard magazine and on Billboard.com.

That way, you can see who is truely selling well in your area. Thats how you can tell who is popular or not.

I forgot to mention Madonna and Michael Jackson and George Michael and Metallica being bigger than U2. And Fucking Phil feceschomper Collins. Fuck him. I hate that asshole. Him and the guy in Simply Red, who I believe had the biggest selling album in England one year...dicknose.

What are you talking about? Now I know you're ripped.

Yes Madonna is bigger, but probably not because of her music...

Michael Jackson? Of course...

But George Michael, Metallica, and Phil Collins? On what planet? Simply Red, what does he have to do with this?

So "young" people have poor taste in music. Thats not a surprise.:wink:

But who ever likes Radiohead, there are not very many of them, young or old at least in North America. Many of the Radiohead shows last year at venues with capacities of just 20,000 to 25,000 failed to sellout, despite low ticket prices. Their older albums were never big sellers even before the music industry began to crash.

Their most popular album, OK Computer, has only sold 3 million copies in the United States after 12 years.

Coldplay is getting bigger, but the demand to see them in concert is only about equal to what the demand was to see U2 on the Unforgettable Fire Tour back in 1985 when U2 had never had a top 10 hit or album in the USA.

In my town radiohead sell out instantly. I was third in line in 2007 and didn't get a ticket. In 2001 they played to 35000 people and it also sold out instantly. And their tickets aren't cheap, either. Standard prices, 40 for a lawn ticket. Both get played more on the radio, too. Maybe it depends on where you live. But Radiohead certainly get the accolades, and there's more anticipation for one of their albums than any other band among the press and people in record stores.

I think when Neilsgov said that almost nobody (young people) cares about radiohead he was saying that only young people care about radiohead. Which isn't really true. Anyway, this young folks stuff is neither here no there...back to the debate!

OK, this post confirms it. torn vinyl post = ignore.

Well, most of those people are not "bands". But lets take a look:

Madonna - last album did not sale as much as NLOTH even though it was released in a year where album sales overall were stronger. Tour did very well, but played dozens of places that had never been toured by her before or had not seen her in two decades. Madonna grossed $407 million from the tour. U2 360 tour is current projected to gross over $700 million.

Michael Jackson: Has not done a tour since 1996-1997. Has not actually toured the United States since 1988. U2's POPMART tour has a higher gross than any of his tours including the one that he did roughly at the same time as U2 back in 1996-1997. Last album of new material that was released in 2001 only sold HALF of what "All That You Can't Leave Behind" sold at the same time.

Metallica: Has never actually done a stadium tour in the United States that was not set up as a festival or had 4 or 5 opening acts to help increase attendance. Has never had one of the higher grossing tours of all time. Global sales for the album released in 2003 were only 4 million. U2's HTDAAB released a year later sold 9 million copies worldwide. The Vertigo Tour Grossed almost $400 million. Metallica's tour grossed under $200 million. While the current album has sold relatively well, the new tour has struggled to sellout arena's at relatively low ticket prices. Metallica are trying to sellout arena's in the round. U2 ARE selling out STADIUMS in the round.

George Michael: career dropped off sharply after the late 1980s. Did have a comback album and tour not to long ago that did moderately well, but nothing that would make him competitive in the big leagues except maybe in Europe.

Phil Collins: Has had a nice solo career but is not at all competitive in such a list. His band Genesis has been competitive in the past but they have not really been active since 1992 with the exception of a short reunion tour in 2007.

But George Michael, Metallica, and Phil Collins? On what planet? Simply Red, what does he have to do with this?

Faith in 1987...EVERYWHERE!!! He's sold a similar amount of albums to U2.
Madonna has sold over 200 million albums. Look at this, it's pretty amazing.
Album Title World Sales Madonna / The First Album 10,000,000 Like A Virgin 21,000,000 True Blue 30,000,000 Who's That Girl 6,000,000 You Can Dance 8,000,000 Like A Prayer 19,000,000 I'm Breathless 7,000,000 The Immaculate Collection 32,000,000 Erotica 5,000,000 Bedtime Stories 8,000,000 Something To Remember 9,000,000 Evita 10,500,000 Ray of Light 19,000,000 Music 15,000,000 GHV2American Life 4,500,000 Remixed and Revisited 1,500,000 I'm Going To Tell You A Secret 2,500,000 Confessions on a Dancefloor 12,000,000 The Confessions Tour 1,500,000 Hard Candy 4,500,000 8,000,000
That level of sustained dominance and trend setting is ... her songs are still everywhere - radio, clubs, sold out concerts. .WOW. And I am not a fan of hers, at all.

Metallica are just as big as U2 and have been since 1991. They might have been bigger for a while too. And don't forget GUNS N ROSES. 87 to 93 they were the biggest, they've sold over 100 million albums and they have half as many as U2.

So one year in George Michael's career makes him bigger than U2? You are not making sense. And no, Metallica are not just as big, they're big but not close to U2...

Nice try though. :huh:

Metallica sales in the US:
Album (Year Released)Millions soldMonth Certified Metallica (1991)14December 2003 ...And Justice For All (1988)8 June 2003. Master of Puppets (1986)6 June 2003. Garage Inc. (1998)5 January 2000. Ride The Lightning (1984)5 June 2003. Load (1996)5 June 2003 . S & M (1999)5 June 2003 Kill 'Em All (1983)3 March 1999. Reload (1997)3 November 1998. St. Anger (2003)2 July 2003. Garage Days Revisited(1987)1July 1990

Compare to U2: ALYCLB, 4. Bomb, 3. Pop, 1. Zooropa, 2. Achtung, 15 (WOW). rattle and Hum, 5. Joshua Tree, 10. Fire, 3. War, 4. October, 1. Boy, 1.

No Line and Death Magnetic are both platinum.

So there isn't much difference, and Metallica get just as much radio play. I don't think it's too big a stretch to say that Metallica are or have been as big as or bigger than u2. They're a huge touring act and easily more influential than U2 as well. I am not a Metallica fan.

In my town radiohead sell out instantly..

What town do you live in or near?

In 2001 they played to 35000 people and it also sold out instantly.

That was the year they probably peaked in popularity, but selling 35,000 tickets instantly is not really amazing unless thats what happened for a show in Nebraska.

And their tickets aren't cheap, either. Standard prices, 40 for a lawn ticket.

Thats dirt cheap today in the concert industry. Whats more, none of their shows with lawn tickets at these prices were able to sellout in Florida in 2008.

The overall average ticket price in the concert industry these days is 50% higher than that. Tickets that cost $250 dollars are what you would call expensive.

Both get played more on the radio, too. Maybe it depends on where you live.

Not really. When was the last time Radiohead got top 40 airplay for any of their songs? It was in 1993 when they released Creep. To this day, thats the only song most people in the general public can name by Radiohead.

Radiohead has always been an indie, alternative band and very popular with people who are into that specific type of music or music scene. But thats a very small part of the music industry.

Whatever point torn vinyl is failing at trying to make, what we can all learn from this silly argument is that NOTHING WILL EVER BE BIGGER THAN ELVIS ARON PRESLEY. Ever. I hope U2 can live with their failures....... :doh:

Faith in 1987...EVERYWHERE!!! He's sold a similar amount of albums to U2.
Madonna has sold over 200 million albums. Look at this, it's pretty amazing.
Album Title World Sales Madonna / The First Album 10,000,000 Like A Virgin 21,000,000 True Blue 30,000,000 Who's That Girl 6,000,000 You Can Dance 8,000,000 Like A Prayer 19,000,000 I'm Breathless 7,000,000 The Immaculate Collection 32,000,000 Erotica 5,000,000 Bedtime Stories 8,000,000 Something To Remember 9,000,000 Evita 10,500,000 Ray of Light 19,000,000 Music 15,000,000 GHV2American Life 4,500,000 Remixed and Revisited 1,500,000 I'm Going To Tell You A Secret 2,500,000 Confessions on a Dancefloor 12,000,000 The Confessions Tour 1,500,000 Hard Candy 4,500,000 8,000,000
That level of sustained dominance and trend setting is ... her songs are still everywhere - radio, clubs, sold out concerts. .WOW. And I am not a fan of hers, at all.

Metallica are just as big as U2 and have been since 1991. They might have been bigger for a while too. And don't forget GUNS N ROSES. 87 to 93 they were the biggest, they've sold over 100 million albums and they have half as many as U2.

LOL, well, you make up album sales figures from the past all you want. But were talking about TODAY. The only thing that determines your current popularity is 1. The sales of your latest album of new original material and 2. The concert ticket sales of the latest tour by the artist.

U2 exceed both Madonna and Metallica when looking at those figures currently.

Metallica have NEVER done a full stadium tour on their own of the world. U2 have been doing that though since 1987. So when it comes to touring their not even on the same level. They have bigger album sales in the United States, but thats the only area where they outrank U2. When it comes to worldwide album sales U2 beats them.

But again, this thread is about who is currently the most popular band, and for that you only look at the sales of the latest new album of new material and the latest concert tour by the artist.

Not when it comes to sales of the latest album and concert tour. Michael Jackson and Madonna have never been able to undertake a tour as costly and innovative as 360. Madonna's latest tour just finished with $407 million in gross. U2's 360 tour will be between $700 and $800 million in gross by the time it finishes in 2010.

To put this thing to rest, show me another artist with concert boxscores like this or who has set as many records for attendance and gross as the U2 360 tour has done after just 38 shows:

U2 360 TOUR

1ST LEG EUROPE

June 30, July 2, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Camp Nou
GROSS: $19,825,497 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 182,055 (RECORD)
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $108.90

July 7-8, 2009
Milan, Italy
Stadio San Siro
GROSS: $15,168,799 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 153,806 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $98.62

July 11-12, 2009
Paris, France
Stade De France
GROSS: $20,902,760 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 186,544 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $112.05

July 15, 2009
Nice, France
Stade Charles Erhmann, Nice
GROSS: $6,261,208
ATTENDANCE: 55,641
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS :1
Average Ticket Price: $112.53

July 18, 2009
Berlin, Germany
Olympic Stadium
GROSS: $9,169,830 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 88,265 (RECORD)
SHOWS :1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $103.89

July 20-21, 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam Arena
GROSS: $12,583,998
ATTENDANCE: 125,866
Average Ticket Price: $99.98

July 24-25, 27, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Croke Park
GROSS: $28,815,352 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 243,198
SHOWS: 3
SELLOUTS: 3
Average Ticket Price: $118.49

July 31 - August 1, 2009
Goteborg, Sweden
Ullevi Stadion
GROSS: $11,047,995
ATTENDANCE: 119,297
Average Ticket Price: $92.61

August 3, 2009
Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Veltins-Arena
GROSS: $7,292,826 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 73,704 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $98.95

August 6, 2009
Chorzow, Poland
Slaski Stadium
GROSS: $6,414,960 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 75,180 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $85.33

August 9-10, 2009
Zagreb, Croatia
Maksimir Stadium
GROSS: $12,700,784 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 124,012 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $102.42

August 14-15, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Wembley Stadium
GROSS: $20,680,860
ATTENDANCE: 164,244
Average Ticket Price: $125.92

August 18, 2009
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Hampden Park
GROSS: $5,290,103
ATTENDANCE: 50,917
Average Ticket Price: $103.90

August 20, 2009
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Don Valley Stadium
GROSS: $5,147,896
ATTENDANCE: 49,955
Average Ticket Price: $103.05

August 22, 2009
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Millennium Stadium
GROSS: $7,041,576 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 66,538 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $105.83

U2 360 TOUR: 1ST LEG EUROPE STATS

GROSS: $188,344,444
ATTENDANCE: 1,759,222
Average Gross: $7,847,685
Average Attendance: 73,301
Average Ticket Price: $107.06
Shows: 24
Sellouts: 24

2ND LEG NORTH AMERICA

September 12-13, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $13,860,480 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 135,872 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $102.01

September 16-17, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Rogers Centre
GROSS: $9,571,672
ATTENDANCE: 115,411
Average Ticket Price: $82.94

September 20-21, 2009
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Gillette Stadium
GROSS: $12,859,778 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 138,805 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $92.65

September 23-24, 2009
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $16,128,950
ATTENDANCE: 161,810
Average Ticket Price: $99.68

September 29, 2009
Landover, Maryland
Fedex Field
GROSS: $6,718,315 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 84,754 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $79.27

October 1, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
Scott Stadium
GROSS: $4,738,695
ATTENDANCE: 52,433
Average Ticket Price: $90.38

October 3, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Carter-Finely Stadium
GROSS: $4,962,240 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 55,027
Average Ticket Price: $90.18

October 6, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Georgia Dome
GROSS: $5,746,430 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 61,419 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $93.56

October 9, 2009
Tampa, Florida
Raymond James Stadium
GROSS: $6,399,375 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 72,688 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $88.04

October 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Cowboys Stadium
GROSS: $6,664,880 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 70,766 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $94.18

U2 360 TOUR: 2ND LEG NORTH AMERICAN STATS

GROSS: $87,650,815
ATTENDANCE: 948,985
Average Gross: $6,260,773
Average Attendance: 67,785
Average Ticket Price: $92.36
Shows: 14
Sellouts: 14

U2 360 TOUR: TOTAL STATS TO DATE

GROSS: $275,995,259
ATTENDANCE: 2,708,207
Average Gross: $7,263,033
Average Attendance: 71,269
Average Ticket Price: $101.91
Shows: 38
Sellouts: 38

Huge numbers for the first 38 shows of the tour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom