Are U2 drug free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL. In one of the new video interviews for the upcoming shows, Bono and Edge say they've done the low key and the humble hype thing. Now they're ready for the drugs and hookers. :lol:

If you have the pearl jam bootleg from when bono joined them on stage in toronto... earlier in the recording eddie, who downs a few bottles of red wine on stage at every gig, talks about the "$1,500 worth of vodka" that the "distinguished and dignified gentlemen of u2" purchased for him the night before.

These cats roll with full baller status yo.

If you have the pearl jam bootleg from when bono joined them on stage in toronto... earlier in the recording eddie, who downs a few bottles of red wine on stage at every gig, talks about the "$1,500 worth of vodka" that the "distinguished and dignified gentlemen of u2" purchased for him the night before.

These cats roll with full baller status yo.

Watch Pearl Jam join U2 on stage in Honolulu 06. The end of Keep on Rockin' says enough. :wink: We love The Edge!

U2 party hard. They just happen to have VERY good "people" and have been smart enough (and lucky enough) not to get caught doing anything stupid.

Probably helps when your crew have been with you from the start and get taken care of nicely.

Most of us have done something in our lives that would probably get us fired if our employers knew about it.

I don't really get what all the secrecy and 'PR' thing is all about though, they're rock stars not a group of politicians, why the need to protect some kind of 'holier than thou' image?! I understand the reasons now with Bono's activism thing but in the past there wasn't really a huge need for it imo.

I don't really get what all the secrecy and 'PR' thing is all about though, they're rock stars not a group of politicians, why the need to protect some kind of 'holier than thou' image?! I understand the reasons now with Bono's activism thing but in the past there wasn't really a huge need for it imo.

What are you talking about? What secrecy?

How many people go out and announce they are on coke? How many of those people get busted?

They’ve been both lucky and smart in a few ways. Smart that they stayed in Dublin. No move straight to London/New York/LA – means they avoided a lot of attention. Lucky in that regardless, their gossip value moment of celebrity (and probably most hardcore, dedicated naughtiness) peaked in a time before the current age of 24/7 celebrity obsessive stalker media, blogs etc and they could simply do a lot more without being noticed. Smart also in that they have kept a close circle of old friends tight around them, and they are obviously very good at image management, both professionally and just naturally, where personality plays a part as well i.e. they’re all very, very private.

bet back in them days Bono, Edge and Clayton attended illegal drug raves wearing hypercolour t-shirts and danced with glowsticks on speakers by the stage.

Bono on E, doing X-Outing (dance)

Aha well we have proof of that! :wink:

ebttrt-bono-neon-rave-comet.gif

ebttrt-edge-neon-rave-comet.gif

ebttrt-adam-neon-rave-comet.gif

ebttrt-larry-neon-rave-comet.gif

What are you talking about? What secrecy?

How many people go out and announce they are on coke? How many of those people get busted?

Buy Q magazine any month and see how many of the articles/interviews spend more time discussing the artist's drug habits/recovery and discussing how the 'druggiest albums ever' were made. Rock stars like the Gallaghers, Keith Richards, Stone Roses, Primal Scream and countless others (the list could go on infinitely) have all gone on at length about their drug experiences. Some rock stars careers are constructed around it (i.e. Happy Mondays). Its part of the whole rock star mythology and aura that surrounds them, it goes with the territory.

Veil of secrecy around these guys there most certainly ain't.

So have we finally concluded anything here?

Was someone hoping that someone would pipe up and regale us with tales of doing lines with Larry? Popping E with Edge? Hittin the bong with Bono? Droppin acid with Adam??

What are we looking for here? Proof of our unrealistic lily-white image we have of them? Justification to try drugs ourselves?

Fuck's sake let's put this shit to rest, seriously!

Buy Q magazine any month and see how many of the articles/interviews spend more time discussing the artist's drug habits/recovery and discussing how the 'druggiest albums ever' were made. Rock stars like the Gallaghers, Keith Richards, Stone Roses, Primal Scream and countless others (the list could go on infinitely) have all gone on at length about their drug experiences.
And how many of these were busted because of drugs? How many of these talk about it after the fact? It's probably much easier to talk about once you've gotten in trouble for it and everyone knows.

You're still assuming it's part of their lifestyle because you want it to be. There's only a veil of secrecy if it was part of their lifestyle, if it wasn't then you're chasing the wind. They've admitted to their experimentation but you seem to want more.
Its part of the whole rock star mythology and aura that surrounds them, it goes with the territory.
See? Right here, it just makes you look so desperately like one of those that needs your rock stars to be on drugs because you think it's so damn cool.

See? Right here, it just makes you look so desperately like one of those that needs your rock stars to be on drugs because you think it's so damn cool.

I gonna let this be the last thing I say on the matter cos I honestly can't believe I'm arguing with someone about this on the internet.

All I'm saying is that a big part of the attraction people find to rock stars, movie stars, etc is that they embody a lifestyle that is for the most part way out of reach of normal people. Unless you're just really stupid, you must appreciate the whole 'rock mythology' that is part and parcel of that culture and always has been.

I can't remember who said it but there's a quote that goes, "show me a kid who never dreamt of being a rock star and I'll show you a liar". Its the whole freedom from rules and access to all kinds of things (legal and illegal) that makes the life of a rock star so alluring and something so many people aspire to. Its part of why people idolise them so much, simply because they are living the lives that the vast majority of people can only dream of - i.e. having the freedom to go out every night and take loads of free drugs, booze, easy women, etc. Its the hedonistic dream that they have at their disposal. Its easy to see why so many bands go badly off the rails once they've been exposed to this life. So yes, in a way I would like to think that U2 have made the most of it, not because I think taking drugs is cool and by their so-doing it will somehow justify my own usage (which is fairly negligible btw), but because they have the chance to and I don't.

I really don't get why you feel the need to jump on anything and everything that people might say on this matter, but hey, I'm sure you'll provide me a reason why I'm wrong.

Unless you're just really stupid, you must appreciate the whole 'rock mythology' that is part and parcel of that culture and always has been.

I can't remember who said it but there's a quote that goes, "show me a kid who never dreamt of being a rock star and I'll show you a liar". Its the whole freedom from rules and access to all kinds of things (legal and illegal) that makes the life of a rock star so alluring and something so many people aspire to. Its part of why people idolise them so much, simply because they are living the lives that the vast majority of people can only dream of - i.e. having the freedom to go out every night and take loads of free drugs, booze, easy women, etc. Its the hedonistic dream that they have at their disposal.

And just as there are some that hope they'll make the best out of what they have access to, others will hope they didn't dive into every single temptation and respected the relationships they have and actually didn't become a cliche.

There's always at least two sides to the story...

I really don't get why you feel the need to jump on anything and everything that people might say on this matter, but hey, I'm sure you'll provide me a reason why I'm wrong.

I don't feel the need to do anything... Did you feel the NEED to show examples of what you thought were U2's drug use? You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine, this is what this whole damn board is about. I said from post one that we really don't know the extent or absence of what they've done and that all we have is speculation... did you miss that part?

Its part of why people idolise them so much, simply because they are living the lives that the vast majority of people can only dream of - i.e. having the freedom to go out every night and take loads of free drugs, booze, easy women, etc. Its the hedonistic dream that they have at their disposal.

Um, no. I have never had a "dream" to live like that. That sounds like a nightmare of STDs, regrets, jail, rehab, and death.

I don't understand why someone would think it's cool for their favorite band to get involved with stuff that will ultimately destroy them. Bono is right when he says rock and roll is a "death cult."

And just as there are some that hope they'll make the best out of what they have access to, others will hope they didn't dive into every single temptation and respected the relationships they have and actually didn't become a cliche.

Right on.

So have we finally concluded anything here?

Was someone hoping that someone would pipe up and regale us with tales of doing lines with Larry? Popping E with Edge? Hittin the bong with Bono? Droppin acid with Adam??

What are we looking for here? Proof of our unrealistic lily-white image we have of them? Justification to try drugs ourselves?

Fuck's sake let's put this shit to rest, seriously!

I see what you did there! :hyper:

My mum recently had her eyes tested at the opticians because wanted another pair of reading glasses. She has blepharitis, which I think is something like Bono has. The optician said "Amazing! You're eyes are in a better condition then they were 5 years ago!" It was amazing because she could read the letters all the way to the bottom line. I can't do that!

Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom